Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
what type of fuel do you use? (Read 10 times)
erodelius
YaBB Newbies

Take it to the
limit.

Irvine, CA
Re: what type of fuel do you use?
Reply #15 - 05/23/07 at 01:06:20

haha, i picked up my bike today. it backfires like a you wouldnt believe (or i guess you all would belive it). i put in premium when i filled up. lets see if it backfires less, or "afterfires" as the old man at the shop lectured me on because i said the bike backfired when the guy took it on a test ride...

2007 Boulevard S40: Jardine slip on muffler and a K&N drop in filter (no snorkel)
Evskie   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 05/23/07 at 10:34:47

erodelius wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
haha, i picked up my bike today. it backfires like a you wouldnt believe (or i guess you all would belive it). i put in premium when i filled up. lets see if it backfires less, or "afterfires" as the old man at the shop lectured me on because i said the bike backfired when the guy took it on a test ride...

That isn't the fuel.  That's your fuel/air mixture.  Read up on the carb, the white spacer, jetting, etc. and tune that baby up.  It'll run better and cooler and backfire far less.

To the topic of this thread, I generally just run regular unleaded and every month or so run either some Sea Foam or some Marvel Mystery Oil through the tank.  In hot weather (like above about 95° F), I switch to premium to hedge my bet against premature detonation.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
erodelius
YaBB Newbies

Take it to the
limit.

Irvine, CA
Reply #17 - 05/23/07 at 15:06:26

my owners manual says to use gasoline with a MINIMUM octane rating of 87. does this imply that using higher octain is allowed and is in no way hazerdous to the health of the bike?

2007 Boulevard S40: Jardine slip on muffler and a K&N drop in filter (no snorkel)
Evskie   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #18 - 05/23/07 at 15:46:00

see this thread

pics by greg 650:

super/premium = high octane:

crap/regular = low octane:

saw the same thing on my buddies old pan.  he runs regular.  the compression on that bike is roughly the same as ours.

I make no comments about running in high heat environments.

IP Logged
LesGolden

Just a thumpin' away
at life.

Coastal GA
Reply #19 - 05/23/07 at 16:26:24

Hmm.. so if you keep using premium you may raise your compression with the crap buildup and then need the 93?  Yeah, when i opened mine up the piston was REALLY gross, probably due to the higher octance stuff.  I'm sure with this motor 87 is usually a better choice.  I ride in 100+ weather alot, with 87 and with 93, and i've never heard any knock, but with that loud SE on there i hear very little really...

You just gotta take the high road
Leave old lovers on the low
Raise your face and smile baby
There's somewhere you gonna go...
on your ls650
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:24:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › what type of fuel do you use?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.