Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Dial a jet & UFO
Reply #1 - 05/21/07 at 12:33:52

I've been thinking about the possibility, especially if I convert my Savage to alcohol/methanol.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/21/07 at 15:16:05

you might want to read past thoughts on the subject -

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/21/07 at 15:31:14

I can see how the UFO doohickey might just benefit a carb, but, I think the bottom of our slides are already covered over.
The Carb is easy enough to jet for just a few bucks. I was ready to buy that thing myself, but the guys here educated me before I dropped the $$$,
My recommendation? Go at it the cheap way & see if it's not just plenty of increase in power.

IP Logged
ONION
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

SOUTH EAST TEXAS
Reply #4 - 05/21/07 at 18:22:36

I HAVE A DIAL-A-JET WITH THE SCUBA HOSE IF SOMEONE WANTS IT. IT IS USED AND IT WORKED FOR ME UNTIL I MADE THE LAST MODS 10.00 PLUS SHIPPING

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 05/21/07 at 18:35:41

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I can see how the UFO doohickey might just benefit a carb, but, I think the bottom of our slides are already covered over.
The Carb is easy enough to jet for just a few bucks. I was ready to buy that thing myself, but the guys here educated me before I dropped the $$$,
My recommendation? Go at it the cheap way & see if it's not just plenty of increase in power.

It is made to install on the bottom of the slide of a VM roundslide carb.  They do not make one for the stock carb found on the Savage.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/21/07 at 20:43:58

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
It is made to install on the bottom of the slide of a VM roundslide carb.  They do not make one for the stock carb found on the Savage.

...And the Dial A Jet is a wimpy way out of doing the jetting correctly anyway.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 05/22/07 at 14:41:28

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
...And the Dial A Jet is a wimpy way out of doing the jetting correctly anyway.

No no no no no no, missing the point.  It is not made to make up for a slipshod job of jetting, it is made to be an automatic adjustment for temp, humidity and altitude changes that may be encountered during normal riding.  It can also serve a useful tool when testing assorted exhaust also, just dial in a size larger or smaller equivalent for the main jet a go.
It is a useful TOOL..

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 05/23/07 at 05:39:23

I was looking at it from the perspective of possibly converting my bike to be alcohol compatible.  After conversion, the bike would be able to run on gas, alcohol or any combination of the two.  I was thinking of the dial-a-jet as a simpler way to quickly adjust for different fuels.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 05/23/07 at 08:02:22

Interesting.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #10 - 05/23/07 at 11:46:31

That should work, variable jetting for various fuels. Could be a marketing angle in there somewhere Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 05/23/07 at 12:52:03

In more recently designed bikes, I'd guess that they'd use sensors and fuel injection like Flex-Fuel cages do.  However, for my purposes it sounds like it should work.  I'm just trying to work out all the other areas I need to replace lines, gaskets and miscellaneous parts to be compatible with alcohol... which is a whole different topic.  Alcohol would run cooler and burn cleaner.  I wonder if it'd pass new EPA regs.... hmmmmmm.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:24:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dial a jet & UFO

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.