Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Shakedown Ride -- New S40! (Read 10 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Shakedown Ride -- New S40!
05/20/07 at 14:13:16

I just bought it Friday, and aside from a little puttering around the neighborhood with my wife, didn't get to really ride it till today.  Today I took it out on some of my favorite roads through the Missouri River wine country, and all I can say is:

I LIKE THIS BIKE!!   Grin

Sure, it decorates the driveway, but it looks a lot better on Highway 94:

(Yeah, I had to wait a while for the other bikes to get in the picture.)

Here it is atop the bluffs, looking over the river valley:

So after a nice run out Highway 94, I crossed the Missouri River on Highway 47 and went into Washington MO:

Then a brisk run home on some of the better letter back roads of our fair state -- Highways V and T to be exact, followed by a cutover to Wild Horse Creek Road.*

Then I was getting close to home, so I made a quick espresso stop and took some of my favorite suburban twisties back.

(That's me with my other bike -- didn't get a photo of today's espresso stop.  And yes, I am looking for a license plate frame that says "My other bike is a BMW"!)

So, to sum up my impressions, this is one heck of a machine!  No, it's not a left-lane interstate cruiser -- but it did just fine on I-64 crossing the Missouri River -- it's just one helluva thumper!  The bike is light and flickable, has the power band right where you want it for twisties, and the handling is predictable.  I even scraped a peg, and it never lost it's composure.

My main purpose in getting this bike was to have something fun and reliable for short rides and errands that could also be ridden by my wife or daughter.  Some two-up ability was also part of the picture so we could ride as two couples when daughter and son-in-law are in town.  I won't go into the whole story of how I ended up with the S40 (I'm sure it'll come out later --this post is long enough), but I'm glad I have it!

Of course, after the shakedown ride there's the wish list -- right now it includes the sissy bar & luggage rack, and possibly the gel seat!

So here's my first posting and a big hello to the group!

Harvey in San Luis del Norte

*  Not an accurate name.  There are NO wild horses in North America.  The so-called wild horses are actually feral, being descended from escaped domestic stock brought over by the Spaniards.  Rumors that they escaped a few strides ahead of the Inquisition are probably true.  Still, Feral Horse Creek Road just doesn't have the right panache.

And that funny black thing on the tank is a magnetic bullet bag from Marsee -- holds the camera, glasses and pocket change!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Holodeck

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Seattle
Re: Shakedown Ride -- New S40!
Reply #1 - 05/20/07 at 14:37:22

There is nothing in the world  as pretty as a shiney brand spanking new  motorcycle.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 05/20/07 at 15:32:53

Welcome to the site!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #3 - 05/20/07 at 16:11:13

Love the s40 color Cheesy and your other bike (on my wish list)  Grin
Welcome aboard!

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #4 - 05/20/07 at 17:32:05

Welcome aboard. Does that tank bag stay pretty secure or do you have to re-adjust it from time to time? I got my sissy bar and luggage rack from odeidasuzuki.com. Thay have good prices and good delivery time.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
darndt
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 05/20/07 at 19:50:11

I am jealous  That was my favoite run when I lived in st Charles in the 70,s and 80,s  I still have one of the bikes I took on that run many times a 76 guzzi convert I need to ride to st louis with my savage and make that run with it  I live in southern Il now

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 05/20/07 at 19:56:09

Welcome to the site.  I really like the color.
I have a '96 that used to be yellow, but will be reborn in black on black.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 05/20/07 at 20:09:03

The tank bag stays on fine -- it has three strong magnets.  It comes with a "safety strap" leash that I've never used.  I have some friends who use the Joe Rocket Manta bag -- it's a little larger, but I'm not sure if it'll fit without blocking the speedometer.

And thanks for the hint about Oneida Suzuki -- the sissy bar and rack were over 20% off list price!   Grin

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #8 - 05/21/07 at 03:03:47

Grin Welcome aboard drharveys! Your S40 is lovely ... that color goes well with chrome!  8)

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #9 - 05/22/07 at 19:09:33

That is the same color my 06 is.  A good mod for it, and looks fantastic, is the highly polished Superbrace.  It really shows off the Candy Red fender, not to mention that it tremeandously add to the stability of the front end. 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #10 - 05/22/07 at 21:13:19

Welcome to the site! That's a great color for the thumper. Is that the old Montelle sign in the 1st picture? One of the nicest views of the river valley up there! Glad to see someone from my neck of the woods. I am from the town of Washington originally and spent fourteen years commuting hwy 94 to the old Monsanto research site in Chesterfield. Just watch out for the dumptrucks coming out of the quarry near Defiance. If they don't get you, the gravel they trail behind very well might!

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
jjn

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Keaau, Hi. USA
Reply #11 - 05/22/07 at 22:09:47

Thats just a great looking bike. I like the new S40 with the flatter bars.

jjn

Jon in Puyallup, Wa. USA
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #12 - 05/23/07 at 05:10:25

Southpaw wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Welcome to the site! That's a great color for the thumper. Is that the old Montelle sign in the 1st picture? One of the nicest views of the river valley up there!

Yes it is -- Montelle Winery lower parking lot looking east, or at least easterly at the descent from the bluffs just after the Klondike curves.  And the next photo is from the upper parking lot at Montelle!

No dump trucks that run -- just a disk harrow on Highway V coming back on the south side of the river!  Nothing like agricultural equipment on the highway to increase the old pucker factor.

So what neck of the woods are you in now?  Might be good to meet at a coffee or ice cream run.

IP Logged
Southpaw
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

This ol' dog ain't
staying on the
porch!

Missouri
Reply #13 - 05/23/07 at 20:52:52

Just moved back to the Washington area. Not near as small of a town as I left in '82! Always happy to meet another rider, just don't get too many weekends off. I've been out of the saddle for awhile and just started riding again last fall. Always looking for an excuse to knock some rust off my riding skills. Once again, welcome to the board, and I hope to see you around!

Dan

2004 Savage. Happiness isn't around the corner, its IN the corners!....I gotta question the integrity of any organization that would have the likes of me as a member...Groucho Marx
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 10:27:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Shakedown Ride -- New S40!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.