Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
problem with the savage..... (Read 6 times)
praetorian
Ex Member

problem with the savage.....
05/20/07 at 06:12:49

My wife and I left the house last Sunday headed for Bike Week in Myrtle Beach and got 1/4 mile from the house when the Savage backfired during mild acceleration and the bike lost throttle response.  My wife (who is a veryconservative rider) was at the controls and I was behind her on the Nighthawk.  I got on the savage and here is what was happening.

I would twist the throttle wide open and get enough power to "power walk" the bike back to my hose.  it was going from no power to a small "surge that was just enough to get the bike to about 2 miles an hour and then the power would disappear.  It is idleing rough, also.  There are no fluids leaking from anywhere.

The bike is a '96 model with ~9K miles on it.

Any ideas from the mechanical masters on here?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: problem with the savage.....
Reply #1 - 05/20/07 at 06:27:33

it sounds like the d@mn cv carb, since the throttle cable doesn't actually affect the throttle, perhaps the diaphram developed a leak around the the top, i've had problems with the accelerator pump(enrichening valve) getting sticky, that is on the right side of the carb, behind the three screw cover. you dont have any rattely cam chain noise going on, do you? 9000mi is in the cam chain ball park, if the tensioner popped, it'll through the cam timing off.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/20/07 at 07:07:29

I bet on junk fuel (drain it and look for water seperation) or the slide is sticking - have you had the carb apart?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 05/20/07 at 15:37:41

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I bet on junk fuel (drain it and look for water seperation) or the slide is sticking - have you had the carb apart?

That too, is where I would start.  You know the ignition is working so fuel is where to begin.  Drain the bowl on a small jar and look.  Then pull the bowl off.  Begin checking jets and floats.

I've had the same GS500 in my garage twice this week.  He had water, rust, paint chips and metal shavings in both petc0cks, in both bowls with one float valve plugged and the main jets were clogged.  The first time it was here, I just cleaned the carbs.  Ran good for a couple days.  

The second time, I picked him up on the side of the road.  He tried to drive it here.  Then I had to drain his tank, remove and disassemble both petc0cks (they work in series), remove all jets and blow everything out.  

Now, I've got a container with some nasty looking gas, a bunch of rust and some little "water balls" rolling around the bottom.  If this doesn't fix it, he may have to seal the tank.

I did get a good long test ride on the 2004 GS500 though Tongue

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/21/07 at 09:04:08

To top it all off I also have an electrical problem.  My battery is fully charged (hooked it up to my trickle charger for a few days) and there is NO power witht he key in any position.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #5 - 05/21/07 at 09:18:31

Blown fuse?  Rear brake side under the seat.

I seated my tank incorrectly once and had blinker wires or something shorting.  Killed the bike a good couple of times.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/21/07 at 10:06:16

Timing chain adjusted popped out, chain jumped a few teeth on the cam....retarded cam timing...I'd pull the clutch cover off and look at it.

Exact same symptoms happened to my '96.

It ran, but barely.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 05/21/07 at 12:33:48

K1200LTryder wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Timing chain adjusted popped out, chain jumped a few teeth on the cam....retarded cam timing...I'd pull the clutch cover off and look at it.

Exact same symptoms happened to my '96.

It ran, but barely.

me too on the 97.  I could go 65 mph, though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:34:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › problem with the savage.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.