Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
neutral light (Read 11 times)
hekerped
Ex Member

neutral light
05/19/07 at 16:02:24

Hi Folks,

I'm new here, just bought an '02 Savage for my wife. The neutral switch is out of adjustment as indicated by no light when the tranny is in neutral and the engine shuts down when in neutral and the sidestand is lowered. Question is:  is the neutral switch hard to access and adjust? I'm guessing it lives under the tranny cover?? Any info/help is appreciated. BTW the '02 is silver, has 640 miles on it.
thanks,
Rocky

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: neutral light
Reply #1 - 05/19/07 at 22:14:46

Thee is no adjustment for the "N" sensor not for the Savage, not for the Bandit. There are 2 possibilities:
1. Bad sensor /switch/ - You can replace it only. If You don't want to get dirty, but the situation is realy bothering You- just ground the blue wire that comes frim the "N" switch. The problem will be that the "N" light will stay ON all the time.
 2.Disconnected wire under the gas tank /Blue color/, white single connector.
 To check what is the deal, just pull off the gas tank, see are the 2 parts connected and if they are, check for ground when the bike is in "N".
  3.Like an exeption- if there is ground at the connector when in "N" , but the bike is behaving like the bike is in gear- the sidestand diode could be bad.  This is very rear case.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
hekerped
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/20/07 at 04:25:20

thanks for the reply and info. Is the switch located inside the trans?? I'm wondering how difficult it is to access. I will make the checks you suggested.

Rocky

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 05/20/07 at 04:30:47

You can replace the switch from outside, Just buy a new one . I am not sure does the sealing O-ring come with it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
hekerped
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/20/07 at 05:01:13

can you give me a location?? my wife is not comfortable unless she sees the green neutral lite
thanks,
Rocky

IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/07 at 05:32:25

I'm not sure if the new bikes are different than the old bikes (my sister's is a 1987 Savage) but I just fixed her's.

Same issue she needed to see the "light".

To troubleshoot I disconnected the blue wire under the tank and grounded the side that went to the tank (with the ignition switch "on") and the bulb lit. So it was not the bulb. I checked the other side of the connector ("with switch off", bike in neutral) for continuity with ground, it was open, so either the switch or wire was bad from that point down to the switch.

Based on the Clymer's manual the switch for the 1987 is "conveniently" located under the right clutch cover. Since I was taking this apart to check/fix the cam chain tensioner I was already there. Remove exhaust and left foot peg/heat shield and then you can remove the cover. The switch is in the lower rear, held on by 2 philips head screws. The wire coming throught the rear of the of the clutch case, had busted loose from the  the metal post in the  phenolic base  of the switch.  The switch is simple; the post goes through the phenolic (insulated from ground) portion of the switch to the backside where it becomes a single point of electrical contact in the phenolic material. Underneath the switch is the end of the shifter drum that rotates when shifted. It has a hole near that edge that contains a rod with a spring behind it. As the shifter rotates,  the rod is pressed in contact with the back of the switch by the spring. In neutral, the rod presses against the brass pin, thus grounding the wire and lighting the light. It is simple and except for the wire busting off or the spring failing I can't see how the switch wouldn't work. The only moving parts are the spring and rod in the shifter drum, there are none in the "switch". I soldered the wire back on the post and mine is fixed. Like I said at the beginning, not sure if the new ones are different but mine was simple and fixeable.  Sorry for the long post, I tend to be long winded!
Wish I had a picture.
Rick C.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/20/07 at 06:30:46

I guess that I'd better get my picture CD finished Tongue

No difference in the switches over the years.  Why?  It is too simple.

First, follow the wire coming out of the engine case.  Make sure it isn't broken.  Then go up under the tank and make sure that it is connected to the side stand diode.  It is a blue wire but it might be wrapped in the harness at the diode.

This wire connects to ground when the engine is in neutral and turns on the neutral lamp and closes the contacts in the side stand relay.  This allows the engine to start depending on the clutch lever and side stand position as explained in your MOM.

If the wire is connected correctly, then you may need to open the right side case to check the switch.

PS - I now see that I need to edit these photos because I misspelled NEWTRAL Tongue

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 05/20/07 at 06:32:00

hekerped wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hi Folks,

The neutral switch is out of adjustment as indicated by no light when the tranny is in neutral and the engine shuts down when in neutral and the sidestand is lowered.
thanks,
Rocky
if im reading this right you think youre in neut. and the enngine shuts down when you put kick stand down..you may be between gears if engine kills with kick stand down..
can checkneut sw with ohm meter ..bl wire comes from sw and goes to sidestand diode other side of neut switch is ground (frame) your 02 uses the same wiring harness as the 96 from what the ssm shows..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/20/07 at 06:50:54

Trooper, I enjoyed the post.

Greg, dodn't sweat the Newtral, keeps life interesting & anyone who wants to pick at that is a jerk anyway.
My Dr. gave me recipes, cause my diet was crappy, & she instructed to "Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowel."I guess a Dr. can do that. Besides, I will be mixin the whole thing in a bowel, soon enough.

NOW, I have a question to the poster..

Does it really shut off the bike if you drop the kickstand, & it's in neutral? Did I read that wrong?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #9 - 05/20/07 at 07:10:02

First visually check the wire at the case and then check the diode and then worry about the internal switch.

As shown in the photo, there is NO adjustment for the switch.  The shift cam has only one neutral position as it rotates, and the switch does not adjust with the screws.

Yes, the engine will die when the side stand is dropped in gear.  That is because the ignition is turned off when the side stand switch goes open and cuts power to the side stand relay.  The contacts in the relay become open and it works the same way as the kill switch.

PS - I have always had a problem spelling NEWTRAL.  Even though "neu" is more like "new" Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/20/07 at 07:35:04

OOPps, I forgot,, did you also state the neutral light does come on, but not when the bikes in neutral? Is it dependable? Does it do the same thing all the time? If not, then does that indicate a wire broke & is flailing around, shorting & lighting the light at random times?
Based on what these guys have said aboiut that switch, I wouldnt order one, just pop the side case off( after checking everything outside the case) & see about fixing the thing, since it doesnt look like anything that can possibly break.

when the tranny is in neutral and the engine shuts down when in neutral and the sidestand is lowered.

So, you get it in NEWTRAL,, ( he he he ) & drop the stand & it dies? Then, you can roll it easily, because its in neutral? But, it wont start with the stand down?

AHH, I think I get that now! It's got something to do with the diodes, betchya.( someone?)

But, does the light ever come on?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 05/20/07 at 12:33:57

I already mentioned the diode.  Go to the Tech section and look at the schematic.

He doesn't say if the light comes on at all, but he does state that it dies in neutral when the side stand goes down.  That's because of the neutral switch.  The ignition unit isn't "seeing" a neutral light either.

IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/20/07 at 12:50:01

Great pictures Greg_650, I will buyt one of those picture CD's when you are done, you do great work! Since I went to the trouble to take a picture of my sister's neutral switch, I will post it anyways. Forgive the crappy camera work, it is dreary here, the sun was in my eyes, I was stung by a bee, the camera was on low resolution, forgot the flash...etc....truth is I'm a terrible picture taker!
Rick C.

IP Logged
hekerped
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/20/07 at 13:54:52

THANKS to EVERYONE that replied and gave me tips. I chk'd for a ground coming off the switch while in neutral with my ohmmeter and that was OK. So I popped the seat and tank and lo and behold the connector with the blue wire was disconnected..it was never latched..I connected it and the problem was solved. Yes, before the fix I was in neutral but had no green light, if I dropped the sidestand the engine would die. So thanks again everyone. The previous owner said the problem showed up right after he bought the bike but he never looked into it or took it to the shop. The wire coming out of the transmission didn' t have any sleeving around it and it looked like H2O could get in there so I put some silicone around it. (the sleeving was pulled up towards the frame).  I was familiar with the backfireing nature of the beast as a co-worker had a Savage and she told me about it..I found this forum and yanked the brass plug and set the fuel/air mixture to 2 and a half turns out and it was much improved..I just did this mod to this bike also.
I'll probably be back from time to time and I also chk into the LC1500 forum from time to time as that's my primary ride along with an '00 Triumph T-Bird and I also ride a '74 Norton Commando.
thanks again,
Rocky

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 05/20/07 at 15:18:41