Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Starter Clutch and Muffler Mods (Read 12 times)
FollyRob
Ex Member

Starter Clutch and Muffler Mods
05/19/07 at 12:31:59

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and also new to the Suzuki Savage. I just bought a 1987 LS650 Savage in great shape and I have been doing a lot of reading up on these forums but still have a couple of questions.

First off, the bike needs a new starter clutch. I have already ordered the part (found one used from a reputable seller on amazon.com). I went down to the local motorcycle repair shop and asked how much it would be to put it in and they told me that they wouldn't do it. They do work with Japanese bikes but refuse to touch starter motors and clutches on Suzukis and Yamahas because they are apparently quite finnicky. He told me that they won't do anything unless they can warranty their work and they can't warranty anything to do with the starter on my bike because the bikes themselves apparently have a lot of problems with starter clutches. I am going to do the work myself but was wondering if anyone had any tips. Is there anything I need to look out for? Any special tricks I should know about? I am quite mechanically inclined so it shouldn't be a problem for me but I was just wondering if anyone had the same issues and knew how to deal with it accordingly.

Also, the bike sounds a bit too quiet for me. I want to make it louder but really don't want to dump money into a new muffler right now. If I were to drill out the rivets and take out the rear baffle on the stock muffler how would it sound? Have any of you done this and if you have let me know what you think. Will it rattle? Will it be WAY too loud?  If I do end up drilling out the baffle will I have to re-jet the carb?

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help, I look forward to being an active member on your board!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Starter Clutch and Muffler Mods
Reply #1 - 05/19/07 at 12:56:46

i remember an ol post on stock muff mod.. try the search feature..ive got a couple of hardley sputer muffs (from 883?)in the shed one has the 10 deg adaptor pipe (couldnt get it back out !) think one has drilled baffle plate and the  other ?? if interested  pm me..free with pp ship..2 clamps and a lil hy temp permatex and no more george jetson poofin... Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/19/07 at 13:16:08

Leave the stock muffler alone. No matter what ya do, it's gonna still stink. The cheapest aproach is a take off HD muffler, there are a few options there & there are several here with experience 7 you can get details from them. You may have to fork over as much as $20 whole bucks for a muffler.
As for the starter clutch & starter being such problems on these bikes I say Horsefeatherz. It happens, but not often. I would be tempted to call them & NOT explain youve been in there & ask them what it would cost for them to order & install one. Maybe they didnt want to install the part YOU already had. They didnt get to rape ya on that AND labor, too.
You will want to rejet even if you keep the stock muffler. It's too lean. OOOPS, I forgot to take into account the model you have. Some werent so lean. You may be okay there. But, if you open the exhaust & intake up & get it breathing better, rejet a bit Then you will have a lot livelier ride. I should have capitalized a LOT livelier. I no longer ride it as hard as it will go, because it will go fast enough to make me happy & then some.

Welcome to the forum,

IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/07 at 15:41:13

Yeah I think I may just get a whole new muffler, an HD sounds nice but are there any options for anything louder?

Also, can anyone help me with the starter clutch replacement? How hard is it? Anything special I should know before opening that motor up?

And rather than re-jetting how about a whole new carb? Does edelbrock make anything that fits? If so, let me know the model.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/19/07 at 16:56:02

There's a fellow around here that will surely show up & get hold of you. He sells carbs & stuff for these bikes. You can even get a cam that will make it a bit more fun. If Lancer doesnt show up, look him up. He can get you the info you need to make the decisions you are working toward.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 05/19/07 at 18:57:33

check with your local harley shops, dealer and independents, i got our dyna straight thru muffler, out of a dumpster for free, somebody elses take-off. how cheap do you want to go? the starter is not an inheirent problem with these bikes, the earlier models did  occasionally break the casting on the engine, but i wouldn't call it a routine problem.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/28/07 at 12:12:49

Alright, the guy on amazon cancelled my order...... I need to wait another week now... Any of you guys have any ideas on a cheap place to get a starter clutch assembly (used is fine) for my 1987 ls650

IP Logged
FollyRob
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/28/07 at 12:18:14

Oh and hey, are those parts swappable with other years? If so what years?

IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/28/07 at 12:37:48

up to 94, as long as its the 4 speed g/box.

allan.

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #9 - 05/28/07 at 12:39:38

When I got my 96, the back plate had been drilled out in between the rivets, It wasn't really louder, but it had a very high pitched clicking sound that was very annoying. As the rivets loosened up over time, the clicking became even worse. I finally put on a HD turnout, way better, deeper and louder, no more shotgun blast after shutdown.

check out this post for the part numbers: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #10 - 05/28/07 at 12:59:52

FollyRob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Also, can anyone help me with the starter clutch replacement? How hard is it? Anything special I should know before opening that motor up?

Before opening that motor, gives me the impression that you did NOT remove the alternator (LH engine) cover.
So how do you know what you need?
You can use the diagram of RonAyers.com to identify and/or order parts. There's also a post in the tech. section listing differences between years of manufacture.
If the big gear behind the magneto-rotor is missing some teeth and needs replacing you're gonna need a special puller to get the rotor off.
As for the muffler: follow azjay's advice: Dyna-HD and check the seize of the main jet. 1986 carb. probably a 150 or 155 and you're OKE.

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 16:20:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Starter Clutch and Muffler Mods

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.