Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Straight gasoline in vent hose. (Read 4 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Straight gasoline in vent hose.
05/19/07 at 11:49:46

I forgot to mention htis. I drained the vent that hangs down from the airbox & all I got was gasoline, about a tablespoon .
The air filter seemed okay, didnt smell of gas particularly.  So, I am soon to change the jet to 152.5 & then run a few throttle chop experiments, now that I have a nice collection of sparking plugs. Is there a reason for the gas being there? Is this common? Do any of you ever drain that plugged off tube? What kind of corruption do you get?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Re: Straight gasoline in vent hose.
Reply #1 - 05/19/07 at 19:02:19

i have had that happen a couple times, however it did  fuel the filter, and the paper wouldn't flow any air(a good argument for a K&N). i blame it on the d@mn cv style carb, i hate them!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 05/20/07 at 12:25:03

It isn't really a vent.  More like a drain because stuff is supposed to collect in there.  A tablesthingie isn't much of anything anyway.

If it is gas, why doesn't it particularly smell like gas?  Water vapor and oil mist condensed out of the crankcase will smell like a petroleum product.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/20/07 at 13:22:00

It was gas, looked & smelled like gas, evaporated like gas & if I had had a grinder handy, I might have checked to see if it would burn like gas.. I can light about anything with my grinder, even stuff i dont want to light,.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 05/20/07 at 15:21:29

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
It was gas, looked & smelled like gas, evaporated like gas & if I had had a grinder handy, I might have checked to see if it would burn like gas.. I can light about anything with my grinder, even stuff i dont want to light,.

Then wouldn't you say that you need to find out how gas got from the tank to the airbox?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/07 at 15:51:38

Uhhhh, I believe that was the reason I posted that. Hoping someone who has seen a few of my posts about Lousy MPG & perahps, being good mechanics with extensive experience, maybe say something helpful.. I wonder if theres anyone here who might be able to do that?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 05/20/07 at 16:03:14

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Uhhhh, I believe that was the reason I posted that. Hoping someone who has seen a few of my posts about Lousy MPG & perahps, being good mechanics with extensive experience, maybe say something helpful.. I wonder if theres anyone here who might be able to do that?

No one can turn the screw driver for you, and you've already been in there when you were messing with jets.  I think that you already know where to begin.  (Check the floats, if you don't)

Stop being a newbie.  Heck, I fixed the carbs on a '04 GS500 this week without a manual, and it was the first time I'd ever even touched one.

Besides, you never mentioned how long since the last time you checked that drain.  A tablesthingie isn't much liquid.  I've seen almost a 1/2 cup come outta there.  If it's been a few months, then there's probably no reason for this topic anyway Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/20/07 at 16:06:16

How'd you check that it was gas?
Water and oil will smell like gas?
The last time I drained mine, it ran like water and looked like oil.  and didn't evaporate.  For it to hang in that tube, it's either fresh gas or dirty water.

WWW   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 05/20/07 at 18:18:00

I would check your crankcase,  see if you have gas in there.

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/20/07 at 18:39:10

The floor of the garage is sealed, so stuff doesnt soak in. I wiped part up & the rest evaporated pretty quick. I think I should check it again real soon,I'll be more careful to study it next time, I'll catch it instead of open the thing up on the floor. Maybe therte woint be anythng,, I could dig that.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #10 - 05/21/07 at 04:51:12

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
How'd you check that it was gas?
Water and oil will smell like gas?

I said, "it will smell like a petroleum product".  I didn't say gas.
Quote:
The last time I drained mine, it ran like water and looked like oil.  and didn't evaporate.  For it to hang in that tube, it's either fresh gas or dirty water.

That is generally what it is.  Goop.  It hangs in the tube because there is supposed to be a plug in the end.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 05/21/07 at 04:53:32

bduff wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I would check your crankcase,  see if you have gas in there.

Yeah. can't be too careful with gasoline at today's prices.

IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 05/21/07 at 05:12:19

when i had this problem it was a mixture of oil and gas coming from the vent tube into the air cleaner box and then out the overflow tubes, due to a bad petc0ck.  as of now i replaced the petc0ck and so far so good.  my crankcase was filled with oil and gas which then worked its way up to the breather tube

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 05/21/07 at 05:45:20

bduff wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
when i had this problem it was a mixture of oil and gas coming from the vent tube into the air cleaner box and then out the overflow tubes, due to a bad petc0ck.  as of now i replaced the petc0ck and so far so good.  my crankcase was filled with oil and gas which then worked its way up to the breather tube

That really sucked, but that is by far more the exception, and not the rule.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 14:31:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Straight gasoline in vent hose.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.