Send Topic Print
Footpeg repair (Read 36 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Footpeg repair
05/18/07 at 17:58:09

I have the bent footpeg that needs removed for repair.  In stopping by the only MC shop in town tonight I was quoted a flat $50 just to see if they could work on it, no guarantee of satisfactory repair.

Well that was a non-starter, so I tried tonight to do this myself and got nowhere because I cannot get past the first step that was recommended - remove the plastic screw cover to undo the allen bolt that holds the footpeg onto the pivot frame.

This is the RIGHT footpeg (with the brake) on my 2006 S40.  The left peg clearly has an allen bolt; the right has a smooth top screw (I think) that attaches the peg to the pivot.

So, do I need to break that screw out? Because I cannot get anything to pry it out or pry the cover off if it is indeed a cover.  I tried various tools and brute force to no avail. It is flush with the pivot mount, and very hard like metal, not plastic.

I can see the indications of threads on the back (under) side of that screw, so I would not be able to hammer it out backwards.

The offending footpeg does still pivot and I can see up into that area, but find no place to fuss with the screw.  The only other thing holding this together is the BIG bolt and BIG nut that are nicely hidden behind the brake works and frame...i.e. no access without major dismantle.

Any ideas?  :'(

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Footpeg repair
Reply #1 - 05/18/07 at 18:35:43

Hmmm! Are you working on it w/o repair manual ???
According to this

BikeBandit Fiche Link

I don't think you need to remove the whole thing. I don't have my manual with me(on the road away from my Suzy) :'(

Hope it help!

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 05/18/07 at 18:55:07

Uhhh..nope on the manual, but thanks for the pics.

In examining said pics, could they make this any more complicated? Its a PEG for gosh sakes!  Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/07 at 19:16:27

Since this has been eating on ya for a while now, I will chime in. Have you considered going with one of the first recommendations & getting a long piece of 3" pipe & sticking on it while friends secure the bike& just forcibly bending it back in place? This may be necessary to get it easy enough to work with to disassemble it just to make sure it's in good enough shape to use. If you can get a hold of a 36" pipe wrench & a piece of pipe to slip on its handle, you can wrap the peg to protect it from the jaws of the pipe wrench. I think a 2" pipe will make a cheatert for a pipe wrench. Maybe the jaws of a 24 woult take the punishment & not bend. maybe a 36 Wont, I dunno. But a 3" pipe isnt in MY tool box & I would have to go to a scrap yard to buy a chunk if I needed it. Maybe a plumber would let you use one, call, ask, ride to his place , use it, pay him 5 or 10 bucks? Do you have a few good pieces of rope? A couple of trees? Maybe even drain the tank & lay the bike over to tie it so it cant drag when ya start pulling on that peg?

Okay. I finally went & looked at mine. Why not remove the 2 nuts that hold the plate the peg mounts to & haul it to a welder? Anyone with a lick of sense can do the job if they have the tools a welder has. A vise & a cheater pipe & a hammer should do the job. You might consider taking some rubber to put between the vise jaws & your chrome.  Got any wore out tires around?

I hope something here helps ya. What a drag, having a mangled peg.Good luck,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/18/07 at 20:33:07

The screw cover is plastic.  

If you intend to use it again, be careful.  I used a wood chisel, gently poke it in... and pry it up a little, then do the other side.  Repeat till she pops out.

Of course if you don't give darn, whip out a nail and squewer the &*^%$.  There's an allen head under there somewhere.

If you go at it with a pipe, you'll get it mostly straight.  The rubber will prevent you from getting it perfect.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #5 - 05/19/07 at 07:56:03

I did try bending the peg using a pipe last week. It was a big piece of galvanized from my plumber.  I thought the leverage alone would do the trick.

It did not work because I do not have the strength to bend it, even with some rope tying the bike to the carport posts and several sizes of wrenches, and a hammer.  The rubber on the peg acts like a damper to hammering, and I got concerned about breaking the whole thing off at the pivot joint trying to bend it.  Sad

After that try, I went to the MC fabrication shop yesterday to be quoted $50 just for them to LOOK at seeing if they could fix it.  Tongue

I'll see about chisling the plastic cover out this afternoon and i dont care if the hole is refilled with Silly Putty as long as I can get some of the kink out of the peg.

I commute to work and ride daily, and right now my foot cannot sit properly on the peg to use the brake correctly which is why this is such an issue.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 05/19/07 at 09:43:39

Thanks for the tip on using a nail to snap the screw cover off - mission accomplished with possible re-use as it was not severely damaged.

Thanks for the schematic drawings so I can put this contraption back together.  There are plenty of little parts now laying next to the pivot.  

The rubber has been removed, and the one piece that is bent is ready for serious hammer time.

Meanwhile, I am taking a break because I got tired of banging away on it, but it is slowly getting straighter, which was the goal.

Thanks to all for the assistance, and support ~ I appreciate it!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/07 at 12:15:46

I am very happy to see progress. Thats all ya need. I was hoping I could help, but the guy ahead seems to have done the trick. If you can punn the part that's bent out of the slot then sure enough a welder can straighten it. Heat & a hammer & that thing will be good to go. You may win it still mounted. Man, be careful. hammers going fast enough to accomplish anything this serious are going fast enough to do damage to parts of bikes & YOU. I knocked one end of a finger near off that way once. Now, the end of that finger looks like Gumby's head!Congrats! Keep on keepin on..

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #8 - 05/19/07 at 18:34:08

I did completely remove the peg, so I have the metal piece that is bent off the bike.  

My sore arm (the same injured arm from last weeks drop) is not up to too much whacking on metal, so I may yet take it over to a friends house tomorrow to see about getting it fixed.  

This afternoon he offered use of a vice, tools and his muscle, and he owes me for organising at his daughters wedding today - thank goodness THAT is over!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #9 - 05/19/07 at 23:59:37

Be aware that the crap cast metal the pegs are made of might not withstand the stress of being bent back to shape. Heat might help prevent breaking it, but is still no sure bet.
(Please don't shoot the messenger, but I just wanted to prepare you for the possibility.)  Smiley

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #10 - 05/21/07 at 12:58:30

Well, I had a similar problem when a careless driver decided to U-Turn in the middle of the street while I was left of him and we made some contact.

I broke his mirror in to a 1,000,000 bits (which was useless to him anyway) and hit his left front wheel with my right peg (thing which together with my steel tip boot actually saved my foot!).

Luckily we never fell to the ground (me and my girlfriend) good reflexes I guess, but the peg bent about 35 degrees to the back.

Yesterday I had a little time and secured the bike with straps, put some garden gloves on and hit repeatedly the peg from the back to the front with a big heavy log, like  12" x 12" x 24" and bent it back straight, IT WORKED!

Then I just took my big vice grips and squeezed from under the "C" shaped housing that holds the peg and pin in place and that way got rid of the jiggling that was left, VOILA! Normality.  Grin

It's funny to own a bike that's pretty much bulletproof but still one that you can bend bent parts back in to shape with a mallet. And that is a good thing reflecting good quality metal components.

Well, "bulletproof" except for the darn plug cap leak! Allready got the new plug, nut, seals and everything, new summer proyect I guess, plan on changing piston rings and adjusting valves since I'll be allready in there.

Keep you posted on progress.

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #11 - 05/21/07 at 13:12:49

Yesterday I whaled away at mine until my arm hurt too much to do more, and it is good enough for daily use at this point.

Not perfectly straight, but at least I have normal brake use today.  Later I will take it to my blacksmith friend for a little heat and anvil work - should do the trick!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 05/21/07 at 13:23:48

But you know, even the plug leak is mostly just an annoyance; rarely anything worse.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #13 - 05/21/07 at 17:09:46

True, very true.
Just check your levels every week.

...on the positive side, we, the leaky people, ride with fresh oil the whole time  Grin

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
Windrider
YaBB Newbies

I KNEW I shoulda
turned left at
Albuquerque!!!

Leesburg, Virginia, USA
Reply #14 - 05/26/07 at 16:40:14

I has this problem on my bike. The previous owner had dropped once and the left side front peg was bent. I took it off and straightened it in a vice and a hundred or so miles later I stood up on the pegs to go over a pothole and the peg snapped off while I was moving. I rigged the rear peg into the mount for the front just to get me home.

A welder friend told me that the core of the pegs is cast and the bending back and forth fatigued the metal and thats most likely why it broke.

I was going about 15 MPH when it happened and managed not to run over my foot or get hurt in the process.

Windrider

'98 Aztec Orange, Windshield, Seat Lift, Supertrapp, Sigma BC1106 for Trip Odometer/Gas Guage, Suzuki Saddlebags, Feildsheer Bags for Long Trips
SouthrnX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 06:23:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Footpeg repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.