Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Drinkin' & thinkn' (Read 1149 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Drinkin' & thinkn'
05/18/07 at 10:09:02

First off -- this is a theoretical discussion with some silly-assed pictures.  Nobody is actually going to go do anything stupid here, so you don't need to go get all irate about it.  

Nobody is going to do anything with these pictures, it is for a theoretical discussion of alignments and 3-D spacing thoughts on putting 10 impossible pounds of tire into a 5 pound fender space while trying to dodge a 1" wide drive belt that wants to be right in there too.

So don't get bent -- it isn't for real and certainly isn't for serious anyway.  That there big 'ol thang ain't a gonna fit in the fenderwell, so ferget about thinking it's serious.

It is good discussion food for the cafe though, but only after drinking a six pack or two to lubricate your thinker a bit (yeah, lots and lots of good 'ol Budwiser tire lube would be needed for this one).  

So, let that be a requirement -- you have to have belted down at least two tall ones before thinking on it.  And you need to have 6 tall ones under your belt before typing your helpful comments.

And if you start to act all serious about it, we'll hoot at you.  Remember, it is over an inch too wide to go in, so don't be a' going there because it sure AIN'T.

And, if that weren't bad enough, it is a half inch too tall to boot.

The thing on the bottom is a $35 Nankang full-sized 165-15 steel belted radial tire intended for a VW Beetle -- 25.5" in diameter and 6.25" inches wide at the fat spot (which is right were the tread lead in edge starts).

The thing on top is a Dunlop CruiseMax 140/90r15 rear tire, cost about $110 retail and measures 5.00" wide at the fat spot and 25.15" tall at the tippy top of the crown.

One is good for 5,000 miles, the other has a 30,000 mile warranty (but likely will only make 2/3 of it in the real world).

<hee hee>

Drink up boys, what'cha think?

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Drinkin' & thinkn'
Reply #1 - 05/18/07 at 10:37:52

Now why would you want to put those Dunlops on a VW?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/18/07 at 11:18:02

I dunno, it sounded like a good idea at the time?  

Wife got pissed off at me though, her new Dunnie front tires made her whole beetle lean over to the side when she was a' going round a turn and then the durn things WORE COMPLETELY OUT over just the nice summer months (they were all bald in the middle by winter time -- didn't do very good over the ice at all like that).

Heck, maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.  

I shoulda stuck with the VW tires, them things went good through all sorts of weather and they lasted and lasted and lasted.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 05/18/07 at 11:24:14

What's the depth of tread?

Does that VW have the 5 bolt pattern of the 4?

Why is that dumlap staring at me?   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #4 - 05/18/07 at 11:32:56

Well if we jack the back up with a coupla washers under the seat, push the fender open with some scrap lumber, and add the cat to the sissy bar, I think it could work.

Mind you, we'd have to add mudflaps cause them treads is gonna throw some dirt, and that is going to piss off the cat.
Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/18/07 at 12:14:33

Remove the rear fender and mount the seat on the tank.  Convert to chain too, so the sprocket takes up less space.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #6 - 05/18/07 at 12:53:48

drinkin and thinkn  isn't that kinda like, military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, humane ethunasia.

hey putting the m/c tyre on the vw.   that's a thought.

this after a few hours by the dumpster.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #7 - 05/18/07 at 12:54:08

Over at intruderalert.com there's a few fellows running car tires (They call 'em "Darkside" tires) similar to that Nanking on the arse end of their Intruder 1500's, Valkeries and the like ... swear by 'em too, eventhough it's kinda frowned upon to wack a car tire on the back of a Bike ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #8 - 05/18/07 at 13:08:29

PerrydaSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Over at intruderalert.com there's a few fellows running car tires (They call 'em "Darkside" tires) similar to that Nanking on the arse end of their Intruder 1500's, Valkeries and the like ... swear by 'em too, eventhough it's kinda frowned upon to wack a car tire on the back of a Bike ...

At the risk of having too sober a thought, I'd think that's because cage tires aren't intended to operate at a lean.  Contact patch is flat only - no sidewall action wanted.

Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #9 - 05/18/07 at 19:23:07

Didn't you ever watch Herbie the Luv Bug?  Heck fire, he could get up on the sides of his tires, pop wheelies and everythang a stunt bike can do now-a-days.

Besides, didn't you oggle at that there ChungFooie tire real good?  It has fine detailed tread thingies blending right up over the rounded edge of thangs and down to the very fattest part of the tire.  It has tread that goes all the way over the edge and down the sides, just like the Durnloop does.  As a s'matter of fact, it's tread ends exactly where the Dunloop laying on top of it ends, they match up exactly.

'Sides, I never lean my bike over any -- my goodness, I'd fall off.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #10 - 05/18/07 at 20:19:04

Ah, them top of the line Chungfooie tires come standard with a wei-shung good luck spirit (odd looking thing with them flame yellow eyes you see peeking over the top of things in the picture).  

Used to sell a brand of fire crackers that came with the same sorta thing, supposed to keep the underaged kiddies from blowing their little bitty fingers off.

Must'a worked even back then, I still got all my fingers.

How about you?

<grin>

Oldfeller

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 05/18/07 at 20:39:36

Well I don't think the 5 bolt Vdub tire will bolt to the savage hub, the pattern is just too wide.  But I think we can get the 4 bolt pattern on.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 05/18/07 at 21:30:45

sluggo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
drinkin and thinkn  isn't that kinda like, military intelligence, jumbo shrimp, humane ethunasia.

hey putting the m/c tyre on the vw.   that's a thought.

this after a few hours by the dumpster.

I KNEW IT!
Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 05/18/07 at 21:33:10

This late on Friday night, I definitely fit the requirements for this topic, but now I can't remember what it was.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #14 - 05/18/07 at 22:41:00

I can make the car tire fit. Wonder where my wife hid the belt sander this time?  Grin
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 15:04:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drinkin' & thinkn'

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!