Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cam Chain Rattle & Stethoscope (Read 11 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Cam Chain Rattle & Stethoscope
05/18/07 at 06:22:01

Hey all,

Got a mechanic's stethoscope!  

So listening ont he RH side of the case, I can clearly hear a lot of sliding, some ticking.  Ticking doesn't seem to go away as rpm increases.

What the heck am I really listening for anyway?

At any rate, I'm gonna get some new gaskets and do slavy's etal tensioner mod.

V

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Cam Chain Rattle & Stethoscope
Reply #1 - 05/18/07 at 06:47:22

Yeah, I picked one up for $1.99 at Harbor Freight last year.  I listened to mine and didn't notice anything disturbing.  I only have 9K miles on mine and no odd noises yet.  However, I'm going to implement the Slavy/Verslagen1 mod (along with new clutch springs) at an upcoming oil change this summer.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #2 - 05/19/07 at 04:58:03

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hey all,

So listening ont he RH side of the case, I can clearly hear a lot of sliding, some ticking.  Ticking doesn't seem to go away as rpm increases.

V

Why should ticking go away?  Did it speed up or slow down?  Did you hear any spinning, whirring, and splashing?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/07 at 08:09:56

I got one of my wife's retired stethoscopes & pulled the business end out & poked a jewelers screwdriver in it for a probe. I listened all around the head & down by the cam chain. I could hear sliding sounds down there. I don't know about splashes, not discernable. Maybe if I overfill it with oil I could, but that oil system doesnt seem like such a high flow as to be making splahes, more a good Oooze than a wave of oil I guess.

Ticking is different in different places, natch, I am gonna rerun th valves now that I have seen a guy who has done literally thousands of them &he let me "Drag" the feeler gauge after he adjusted the valves on a Guzzi. They are so easy to get to he uses a 1 foot long set & slips them in like a knife, slicing in, then slips them on & they drag pretty hard. Gotta put a couple of pounds of tug on it to drag it thru there. BUT, the shape of the area being measured is different & I dont know how that affects the drag. OUr adjuster is a smaller area than the top of the valve stem, the Guzzi rocker covers the valve stem completely. I think there is more surface area dragging on the Guzzi measurement than the Suzi. Now, HOW would that affect the amount of drag on the feeler gauge at any given setting? Any? Some? Detectable? Hekk,, I dunno. I am gonna set mine so that I can Drag the feeler, but can't Push it. If a guy can push a .005 piece O steel thru a slot, it's not very tight.
So far, the stethoscope thing has been fun, but not particularly revealing. I will continue to listen occasionally, if something starts making a racket, maybe I will find it before it becomes a real issue.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #4 - 05/19/07 at 22:24:53

First- about the drag- You can not expect to have the same drag in different bikes, because You are dealing with different valve springs. If You try to get  strong drag when working on generator/for an example/ You will never get it- the springs are too weak and the valves will stay open.
second- about the cam chain noise-  Usually the cam chain noise is light at idle, it increases and gets louder at 2.5-4 K RPM and after that disapears. If certain noise is there the same and all the time, it is not the cam chain.
Instead stethoscope, You can use a long screwdriver /metal toward the engine, not in the ear  Wink/

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/19/07 at 22:40:04

Slavy, do you suppose the reason for the high rev to be quiet cause the chain will float on the sprockets due to centrifical force and will take up all slack?

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #6 - 05/20/07 at 04:28:39

Yes,
This is my explanation about quieting at high RPM.
Plus - we can imagine that the bike is working "on pulses"- We have one wotking stroke + 3 other, so do we feel it or not, but the crank shaft speeds up and slows down. This makes the cam chain to "slap". At high RPM the "pulses" are so close, that the chain doesn't have time to "slap" a lot.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 05/20/07 at 06:42:07

Is everyone trying to find a problem in the engine?  I think that everyone is brainstorming too much.

Geez, all Vroom did was buy a stethoscope and ask a question about the the ticking sound...to which I might add, IS NORMAL.  Go out and listen to your car (with the hood up, too).  You'll hear a ticking sound there.  It might be valves or fuel injectors, but it is normal.

There is always a ticking sound.  It's called valve lash.  It will be louder in some places than others.  If you don't have any sound then you might really have a problem.

Oh, and my comment about "splashing" was intended as a joke.  No need to drain the gas out of the crankcase yet.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #8 - 09/14/07 at 13:10:14

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hey all,

What the heck am I really listening for anyway?

At any rate, I'm gonna get some new gaskets and do slavy's etal tensioner mod.

V

vroom (or anyone else who has listened to a tensioner going south),
Was the ticking about every half second at idle?  Rate increases a little bit then dissapears as you throttle up?  (Can't really tell, maybe the rest of the engine noise is drowning it out)

That's what I'm hearing from mine.  I'm pretty sure it's coming from behind the the clutch cover, I just haven't had time to steal a stethoscope from the wife and do a good check.
What kinda threw me off is it sounded like the noise kept going after I shut the engine off, as it makes almost the exact same sound as the exhaust cooling.

I have the VerSlavy tensioner on the way, a gasket on order, and I'm due for an oil change anyway.  I hate to lose a nice weekend waiting on parts.  Tempted to just ride it anyway.  Or open the cover to see how bad it is and decide from there.

This machine has less than 9k on it.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 09/14/07 at 13:33:50

Mine wasn't bad yet so I can't tell you for sure how it sounds but at 9700 miles, the tensioner had only a few millimeters of travel to go before it would have begun to elongate and then come loose.  I installed the VerSlavy modded tensioner, new clutch springs (while I was in there) and a new gasket and closed her back up.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/14/07 at 14:07:46

youzguyz wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Or open the cover to see how bad it is and decide from there.

I replaced my gasket the first time I had it open.  Since then I've openned it twice and reused the gasket.  Cleaned it with a little acetone, reapplied gasket sealer around the oil path on top and no leaks that I can see anyway.

Also did another without replacing the gasket from the get go, and no reports of it leaking.

I wouldn't hesitate unless you got no other means of transportation.  Your confidence in your machine is more important IMHO.

If you can get the cover off with out tearing the gasket, then you're good to go.  The tips I've gotten are to remove all the screws and pop the seal by turning the clutch lever.  There's a little ledge on the front of the cover too.  use a big screwdriver to pry off the cover slowly and evenly.  Once you've sepparated the cover from the case about an 1/8", stop check around make sure it's stuck all to the same side otherwise you'll tear it in 2. Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/15/07 at 22:00:15

Gasket sealer will repair a tear. Just have to be careful with the application. Dont plug anything off, get a load in the oil,, use the Ol Noggin.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #12 - 09/17/07 at 07:39:33

Has anyone thought of having a little sight glass (like oil-level window) in the side case to visually check the chain plunger extension without removal of the cover?  Not sure where it could be located, and would entail machine work.  I had an aftermarket sight glass on my Ducati bevel-gear drive cover as a crude visual check oil was pumping up.  It had its own holder with O-ring that was held on with a bunch of small set screws.  An alternative would be a simple threaded inspection plug.  You don't need to check that often.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 09/17/07 at 08:35:26

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Has anyone thought of having a little sight glass (like oil-level window) in the side case to visually check the chain plunger extension without removal of the cover?  Not sure where it could be located, and would entail machine work.  I had an aftermarket sight glass on my Ducati bevel-gear drive cover as a crude visual check oil was pumping up.  It had its own holder with O-ring that was held on with a bunch of small set screws.  An alternative would be a simple threaded inspection plug.  You don't need to check that often.  

Maybe this photo from my CD will explain the answer...the sight glass might have to go right in the reinforced area for the clutch actuator.

The inside isn't quite as one might think Tongue

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/17/07 at 08:49:58

The best place for it is right where the oil filter is.

When I push the adjuster forward 16mm it struck the center boss of the oil filter cavity.  So the stock position is just to the right of that.

So if you can mount an external filter and reroute the ports to the existing filter, just hollow out the back and you'd have it made as it would allready have an access port.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 00:35:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cam Chain Rattle & Stethoscope

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.