YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Who's got gas??
Reply #15 - 05/17/07 at 21:42:08

You should have a little more than a half gallon.  I think it varies bike to bike.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #16 - 05/17/07 at 22:36:01

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
You should have a little more than a half gallon.  I think it varies bike to bike.   Grin

And as I think we know from this forum...it varies rider to rider, too.

I just haven't figured out if it is due to riding technique or math skill Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 05/18/07 at 05:59:48

Well, besides the various tanks available at http://www.tourtank.com/, I noticed a couple of other options at http://www.tourbuddy.com/.  I am inclined toward the TourTank but haven't needed one yet.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
astrolin
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 05/18/07 at 14:13:19

I just recently bought a Savage, but it didn't come with the owners manual.  I was wondering what kind of gas works best in it?  Any thoughts.

IP Logged
Scottwerty

It's not a Gang!
It's a Club!

Mass
Reply #19 - 05/18/07 at 14:18:55

manual says 87 octane but I use 89 guess its a preference thing, plus the beast gets great gas mileage so whats a few cents more

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 05/18/07 at 16:18:50

mine seems to run fine on 87.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #21 - 05/18/07 at 20:57:52

Doc_Holliday wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
The only time i would carry extra fuel is if i was going cross country. I was on I-40 going through the mojave, i passed a gas station. . . .
I-40 starts in Barstow, California; which has a dozen or so gas stations.  18 miles east is a 24 hour truck stop.  Another 24 hour truck stop 5 miles further.

You then have an 83 mile run to the next truck stop on Goffs road.

Another 33 miles and you're in Needles with another dozen or so places to get gas.

So yeah, if you don't know about that 80 mile gap you might be in trouble.  However, with the Internet you can locate stations, complete with telephone numbers to call to verify that they still exist.  If you plan ahead, you can gas up at less than 100 mile intervals pretty near anywhere in the U.S..  To help plan I have a page of links to gasoline locators.

WWW   IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/18/07 at 21:19:58

My neon has a small tank anyway, and the needle drops quick after 1/2 tank. I had between 1/4 and 1/2 and drove for what seemed like ages( i guess just because i thought i was gonna run out and because i drove about 4 miles out of my way through the freaking desert...lol)

I guess with some knowledge(of which i had none) you could make it cross country on a savage without a hitch, as long as you hit exactly the right gas stations...makes me consider making the trip by bike! That would be a blast! -DOC

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 05/18/07 at 21:43:35

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I-40 starts in Barstow, California; which has a dozen or so gas stations.  18 miles east is a 24 hour truck stop.  Another 24 hour truck stop 5 miles further.

You then have an 83 mile run to the next truck stop on Goffs road.

Another 33 miles and you're in Needles with another dozen or so places to get gas.

So yeah, if you don't know about that 80 mile gap you might be in trouble.  However, with the Internet you can locate stations, complete with telephone numbers to call to verify that they still exist.  If you plan ahead, you can gas up at less than 100 mile intervals pretty near anywhere in the U.S..  To help plan I have a page of links to gasoline locators.

I did some of that I-40, only I came from the wrong direction Tongue

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #24 - 05/23/07 at 13:39:23

Mine hits reserve at about 115mi, then I try to fill it before I get to 140mi. But just in case I miss it, I have a Seafoam can full of gas (12 oz.) in my fork bag, which should be good for about 5 mi. (see pic under my name) I use 87 octane.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:23:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's got gas??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.