Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Who's got gas?? (Read 9 times)
mavrik

Toronto
Who's got gas??
05/17/07 at 06:04:58

Ok Newbie question here

Suzi has a small tank, and so on long hauls is it a good idea to put say a gallon gas container in the saddle bag?
Just in case?

Is it safe or could it be a problem eg. crash

Cheers

WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Who's got gas??
Reply #1 - 05/17/07 at 06:16:56

I always found that after riding  100 miles I need to get off and stretch, bathroom, drink, etc so there was never a problem of not having enough.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/17/07 at 07:09:35

maybe I'm paranoid but I've always thought of carrying container of gas not to be good idea in case of spill - I mean you & bike go down causing can to leak & gas to go on hot engine & catch fire. know I have a vivid sense of imagination, but there you go...

saying that, I've also always found 100 miles a decent distance to go on just about any bike as a decent ride to then get off & stretch, go to loo (english slang for "the john/the can"), drink, whatever so concur with Lancer.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 05/17/07 at 07:19:45

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
maybe I'm paranoid but I've always thought of carrying container of gas not to be good idea in case of spill - I mean you & bike go down causing can to leak & gas to go on hot engine & catch fire. know I have a vivid sense of imagination, but there you go...

Well, a person could easily counter that logic by saying that you are already riding a motorcycle that has a vented gas can mounted above a hot engine and located intimately close to your groin.  So what's the difference?

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #4 - 05/17/07 at 07:49:39

Reserve has always got me to the next gas station. My pet c0ck has not been modified and I don't run on "prime".

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 05/17/07 at 08:09:48

My thoughts on carrying a spare can are the same.  And I'm looking for the right size can and location to carry.

Certainly a pint is enough in town, gas stations are only 1/4 mile apart most cases.

As for where to carry, I don't have saddle bag.

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/17/07 at 09:14:59

understand what you are saying Greg but in all times bike has gone down on me I've never had gas come out of the tank. as far as riding along with it stuck between your legs, yeah, it is a bit crazy, but is a bit like the old time fighter boys flying with gas tanks in their fuselage under their arses! me, I'll stick with having a reserve on my one tank & making sure I never run out (which I never have - come close but I've actually run out on a car when I first got one because I forgot there was no reserve & the fuel guage was a little bit misleading.)  Tongue

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 05/17/07 at 10:34:35

Aye, I'll just use the reserve rhink about maybe getting a TourTank if I think I need it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/17/07 at 11:16:29

I carry a 1 litre fuel bottle (ally) in a toolroll strapped onto my handlebars just in case, Wink
checkout topic My family and look at 1st bike you can just make it out, bottle is from trek mates to carry fuel for a cooker.

allan,

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 05/17/07 at 13:12:40

Where's the pic?

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 05/17/07 at 13:21:36

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #11 - 05/17/07 at 14:01:32

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
understand what you are saying Greg but in all times bike has gone down on me I've never had gas come out of the tank. as far as riding along with it stuck between your legs, yeah, it is a bit crazy, but is a bit like the old time fighter boys flying with gas tanks in their fuselage under their arses! me, I'll stick with having a reserve on my one tank & making sure I never run out (which I never have - come close but I've actually run out on a car when I first got one because I forgot there was no reserve & the fuel guage was a little bit misleading.)  Tongue

Yes but, in truth, the gas cap on your tank is vented, and if you lay it down on the right side with enough gas, it will leak out the cap.

On the other hand, a spare container is probably sealed tight and won't leak unless it becomes ruptured.  The other differences being that it isn't as close to hot parts or it isn't rigidly mounted to the bike in a saddle bag.

What was my point?  I don't think there is anymore fire danger one way or the other.  Myself, I try to fill up every 100 miles.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #12 - 05/17/07 at 19:41:37

Anybody know about haw many miles you have left when you swithc to reserve?

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #13 - 05/17/07 at 20:04:30

Best found out in the saddle.  Just be within 15 miles of a gas station when that happens.

Varies from 100 - 120 miles depending on whether you ever get it out of first gear Tongue

IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/17/07 at 20:34:19

The only time i would carry extra fuel is if i was going cross country. I was on I-40 going through the mojave, i passed a gas station with a little under half a tank in my neon, i said "ill get gas at the next station." Well, that next station didnt come until i was on fumes, i was unaware(being from ky) that there were stretches that deserted left in the united states. That was scary, even though they have those little call boxes now and then its still a bit scary out in the desert. I remember i got off at a place called "rattlesnake wash" in arizona(mojave desert) and thought id find gas there, lol, no such luck the road turned to dirt, then to complete desert and there i was driving a neon in the desert. -DOC

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 16:20:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Who's got gas??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.