Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Petc0ck question (Read 3 times)
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Petc0ck question
05/15/07 at 16:13:47

does anyone know how to test the petc0ck ?
and if my petcock is bad,  and i plug the vac line on the carb and the vac line on the petcock and run it on pri. is that ok?

1987 Savage 100% stock and happy with that, owned it since it was BRAND NEW!
  IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Re: Petc0ck question
Reply #1 - 05/15/07 at 21:20:11

I'm still waiting for Petthingy conversion pics.

So how does the whole petthing work?  

vacuum sucks = gas flows ?

no vacuum = no flow?

pri = flow no matter what ?

Is this to prevent flooding?  
No suction =  engine off = no flow
vs.
pri = flow even if engine is off.

I see.....said the blind man who picked up his hammer and saw.

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 05/16/07 at 04:59:18

The simple way to check the petthingy for proper operation is to put a bit of a vacuum on the vacuum hose.  Fuel should run out of the fuel hose.  If there is any fuel in the vacuum hose, the petthingy should be replaced.  When the petthingy is on Prime, it flows fuel constantly.  You could run the bike like that, but it is really not designed for that.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 05/16/07 at 05:01:16

might want to add-

fuel in the vacuum line = broken petc0ck (and very soon a broken motor with a crankcase full of fuel)

Yes you could plug the carb vacuum line and run on PRI - but you of course will no longer have a RES and if your float fails while parked on PRI your going to have a lot of fuel in a lot of places

IP Logged
steely

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 05/16/07 at 05:26:12

Good points Reelthing.  The float needle and seat is not really designed to have constant static fuel pressure on it.  Should it fail, there will be issues.

BTW, my company makes a product called the reelthing.  It is a spool holder for cable feeding.

1999 Suzuki Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/16/07 at 06:09:58

I guess the question is "What symptom(s) are you experiencing?"  The answer to that will help others direct you.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 05/16/07 at 06:30:43

Well in my case it's all about fishing reels - that's the name of my offshore boat -

I know the savage petc0ck gets a bad wrap from time to time - but I like it - had to replace the one on the '95 a year or so ago - the problem with the manual conversion is now you can and do forget to turn it off and thus remove one of the safeties the vacuum diaphragm provides - but you do need to check it for proper operation from time to time - just pull off the vacuum line and check for fuel - should not be any there ever - or get brave and suck on the line - it should stick to your tongue without any fuel coming down that line, also drain the tank and remove it to check for trash on the screen every year is not a bad idea.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 05/16/07 at 07:22:44

As it is, I don't have reserve cause I run on it all the time.  When ever I use 'run' it staves for fuel.  But reserve is just fine.  Took it apart when I got (and the pictures were still there in the petc0ck conversion thread) and didn't find any issues.  Cause of this, I've always been a little antsy about how far I go on a tank of gas.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 05/16/07 at 07:41:07

what was happening is my crankcase filled with gas, from the  petc0k failing (i presume).  when i took the vac line off it did have some gas in it.   so i ordered a new petc0ck from the stealership and they charged me for the new part but it has been almost a week now and no petc0ck,  i have called everyday and ask them if it has come in, and they have no idea when it will get there.  i should of just ordered it from bikebandit.com same price but i figured i would give the dealer a shot, considering i sell Ford parts for a living.  well i am going through withdraw with this great weather we are having. so i just want a quick and easy way to bypass the petc0ck until the new one gets here.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 05/16/07 at 08:42:09

you can sure do it with rubber caps - I hope you changed your oil and filter really well to get it all out

IP Logged
bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 05/16/07 at 08:52:00

I did and i am thinking about doing it again.  and just in case there was any gas hiding in there i put 20w50 in.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #11 - 05/16/07 at 08:53:38

bduff wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
what was happening is my crankcase filled with gas, from the  petc0k failing (i presume).  when i took the vac line off it did have some gas in it.   so i ordered a new petc0ck from the stealership and they charged me for the new part but it has been almost a week now and no petc0ck,  i have called everyday and ask them if it has come in, and they have no idea when it will get there.  i should of just ordered it from bikebandit.com same price but i figured i would give the dealer a shot, considering i sell Ford parts for a living.  well i am going through withdraw with this great weather we are having. so i just want a quick and easy way to bypass the petc0ck until the new one gets here.

I'd seriously cancel the order with the stealership and order it from either RonAyers.com or CrotchRocket.com.  I never get anything from a dealer that they don't have in stock.  It costs me less to get it online, takes the same time or less to get, and it's delivered to my door.  It does sound like a failed diaphragm.  You could test it as suggested above.  If you suck on the vacuum port of the fuel valve you shouldn't get any flow.  To try that, I'd remove the petc0ck and then attach a new piece of fuel line to the vacuum port.  While you're at this whole thing, it's worthwhile to replace the lines if you're not sure of their integrity or age and add an in-line fuel filter.  I prefer a clear one to see when it's got junk in it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #12 - 05/16/07 at 19:20:36

If i suck on the vacuum tube (on ON/RES), should fuel start pouring out of the tank?  Then, obviously, when I stop sucking, no more fuel.

How about placing a moisture monitor in the vacuum tube?  Like those water alarms I see sold for water heaters,etc.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 05/17/07 at 05:58:02

grim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
If i suck on the vacuum tube (on ON/RES), should fuel start pouring out of the tank?  Then, obviously, when I stop sucking, no more fuel.

That would be correct operation for fuel to flow from the fuel port/line when you suck on the vacuum port/line and fuel flow should stop when the vacuum is removed.  If you taste gasoline on the vacuum line, it's not right.

grim wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
How about placing a moisture monitor in the vacuum tube?  Like those water alarms I see sold for water heaters,etc.

I'm not familiar with the operation of those or if they'd be compatible with fuel at all.  You could maybe get some clear fuel line for the vacuum and keep an eye on it.

bduff
YaBB Newbies

Reply #14 - 05/17/07 at 13:22:33

Ok i cancelled the order with the dealership, and ordered a new petc0ck from Ronayers.  but in the meantime i did by pass the petcock, by capping off the vac ports on both the carb and petc0ck. Now i just run it on prime and remember to turn it back to on or res after the ride. and so far everything seems fine, no gas in crankcase.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 10:14:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Petc0ck question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.