Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tires (Read 10 times)
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Tires
05/13/07 at 22:43:04

Ok, ive been reading alot on here about tires and i just keep getting more confused. I need new tires and i think im going to buy them online and get them put on somewhere.

I want a tire that is good and grippy, not terribly expensive and that will fit on the savage without any hassle(bolts removed ect.) The dunlop 404's were what i was looking at but im reading that they are a little too wide and not good in the rain.

Basically ive confused myself with information overload...lol. Im not too picky about my tires, just dont want to go with the OEM ones because everyone says they are sub par. If someone could give me a few quick suggestions it would be appreciated. thanks in advance. -DOC

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Tires
Reply #1 - 05/13/07 at 22:57:02

Without any doubt I'd recommend Metzeller ME880

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 05/14/07 at 04:06:55

I recommend this tire at jcwhitney.com:  
Style H Rear Tube or Tubeless Street Tread Tire (SIS: 5.00/5.10x15"; MS: 130/90H15; RRW: 3.00; LR: 660) ZX621982T Each $49.99.  
If you buy 2, you get free shipping.  They are reported to outlast the original and provide good rain performance.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #3 - 05/14/07 at 06:18:03

I had a D404 on the rear (got 8-9,000 miles out of it) and have one on the front.  No clearance problems on my Y2K and the only time I've lost traction was on wet steel and wet painted lines.  I will likely stay with the D404.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/14/07 at 06:33:14

I just ordered the D404, $95.00 + tax & 30 to mount & ballance. The guy is renting me a trailer for $20.00 / day which is a $10.00 break, so I can stand to let him make his labor on the mounting. I'll report on the D404 as soon as i can.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/14/07 at 09:27:28

Paladin - for when I need a new rear - what size 404 did you put on the rear please & when you say there was no clearance problems on your Y2K does that mean your bike is standard (only as far as your rear fender, that is - suspect like all of us you have done some mods or other!!!!)

what size was it, please?

to answer original question - have a 404 on the front of my Savage & though cannot give its longevity (not been on there for a kazillion miles - yet I hope!) - am happy with grip.

saying that - agree Metzelrs are the way to go judging by their performance on other bikes I've had - just wish they were not so pricey (@ time of changing my front tire I just did not have the $$, so settled on what I thought/think was 2nd best. know some might say not wise but "a man's gotta do...!")

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #6 - 05/14/07 at 10:10:05

I don't know how much this will help.
I just (150 miles ago) put on 404's front and rear.  The rear is 140/90-15.  No clearance problems that I am aware of.. but I should check (look for scrape marks where the bolts may have hit).
My bike is pretty stock:
year: 2002
Rear shocks are set 1 notch below "hardest".
I had my daughter on the back yesterday for some practice with the new tires.  I didn't go over any nasty bumps or RR tracks.. so not a full test of "clearance" yet.
I did get caught out in the rain last Thursday.  I didn't have any issues with wet road handling.. but I don't (and won't) ride hard in the rain anyway.  Sure was fun to go splashing through puddles though!!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
spike

Love 2 Ride

Pa
Reply #7 - 05/14/07 at 10:15:38

I know what they are saying about sub par on the originals. I have 3700 on mine and the are about shot. I thought something was wrong, was checking things and scratching my head on why. Well now I know it's just the tire quality. No not every one has done mods. I can't afford any, well unless you want to count a back rest. I alway got my tire @ Dennis Kirk not to bad of price or qual but I'm interested in finding better chearer tires.

2K6 Silver Backfiring Front Brake Squealing S40 =8P Member #2147
driverspike bigspike1958   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 05/14/07 at 11:12:13

Certainly toss my hat in the ring for the ME880's - depending on what the bike is used for - if your going to put a lot of hard miles through what ever - like a daily 50 mile commute go for the metz - rear(140/80) seems to go way over 10k miles and the front you'll likely replace  because of age before it wears out.

IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/14/07 at 13:05:05

Thanks everyone, lots of good info. My bike just turned over 5000 miles and i really think its time for new tires. They dont look too bad, but honestly im not familiar enough with street tires to give any opinion. There is some VERY small dry rot cracks, only noticable if you put your nose on the tire. Any way to check tread depth to see just how "shot" my tires are, im planning on running them for another month or so and i dont want them to be a huge safety hazard. -DOC

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/14/07 at 13:27:06

If those are the stock tires, the safety issue doesnt stem from the cracks, but from the compound of the rubber. Mine wore fast, 5,000 & was down to the carcass in places, & had been slick the whole time I had it. Nice thing was it taught me to ride on ice year round.
FWIW, no matter what tires I have, in the rain I ride like a Ol'Woman. Cuz I am scared of falling down in a turn.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 05/14/07 at 16:49:53

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Paladin - for when I need a new rear - what size 404 did you put on the rear please & when you say there was no clearance problems on your Y2K does that mean your bike is standard....

My only mods have been horn, bags, brace, windscreen., taillight, mullfer -- nothing that would affect the tire clearance.  As with YouzGuyz,
$66.95 Dunlop D404 140/90HB15 Rear Tire Mfg.#: 32NK45.  No clearance problems means that I have never rubbed, and had enough clearance with the bike on it's sidestand to remove and remount the rear fenderrails (when I installed the Panniers.)  

justin_o_guy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
FWIW, no matter what tires I have, in the rain I ride like a Ol'Woman. Cuz I am scared of falling down in a turn.
The falling down doesn't bother me in the least -- but sliding along on the pavement scraping skin off is not on my list of "Must Do."

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/14/07 at 17:01:43

sorry to be a pain with another question, Paladin - why a 140 please? my bike has a 130 on back of it. thought latter was standard size. any reason for the 140 (I'm fuzzy on difference between 2 sizes too - is the 140 fatter/taller/what?) thanks.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 05/14/07 at 17:12:05

geo ssm lists 140/80-15 M/C 67 H for 96 rear...

doc save your money in the long run and go w/ the me 880s  theyll pay for themselves in the long run..
if you go that route get new tubes and liners also cause the me s will be on for a while..my oem rear didnt make it to 5K...think my local dealer charged $20 apiece to mount and balance and check spokes...cruizercustomizing was havin a sale when i got themwas $ 216 for the pair shipped...thats me 880 marathon 140/80hb-15 rear
me 880 marathon 100/90h-19 front
cant locate the tube and liner paperwork but got them from the dealer....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/14/07 at 19:03:59

thanks for info, Lon. will get dunlop 404 140/90 (don't appear to make a 140/80 when I get a new tire.

question for one of you - is the 80 thinner/fatter, taller/shorter than a 90 or what (as I said, I'm not that smart on tire sizes.

doc - definately go with new liners & tubes when put new tires on whatever you buy. not just because of what Lon has said about Metzlers life (they are pricey little buggers, though!) but is from what I understand common practice to put on new liners/tubes with new tires - they don't cost a mint & are yet another example of thinking of ways to ensure those 2 narrow bits of fake rubber saving your life get a helping hand.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 22:34:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.