Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Possible passenger? (Read 5 times)
coke687
Ex Member

Possible passenger?
05/13/07 at 11:56:06

Hello,  Looking for my first bike, and I am reading that the s40 is a great starter bike. The problem is my wife is going to want the occasional country road ride. Is this bike big enough for us? About 340 lbs of us. Im leary about going any bigger, because i am just learning to ride. Thanks for any  imput.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Re: Possible passenger?
Reply #1 - 05/13/07 at 12:06:08

I take my daughter with me quite a bit and we are a combined 300 or so. Not a problem. The rear shocks bottom out on the worst bumps but I could stiffen up the rear shocks to fix that. I wouldn't advise taking a passenger until you have plenty of solo time first though. Having someone on the back makes a big difference in every aspect of riding. Good luck.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
coke687
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/13/07 at 12:10:22

thanks Al.  I plan on waiting a year or so for that. I was  hoping this bike would fit the bill, as the price tag is right, new or used.

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 05/13/07 at 12:26:16

Yes, you can ride two up on this bike, and it is a great starter bike. But like Al said, you might want to stiffen up the shocks a bit which is very easily done and can be done yourself.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/13/07 at 12:53:37

rear seat is not the biggest for taking a passenger - would recommend trying one out for size on dealer's showroom floor.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/13/07 at 13:08:21

coke687 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
.... The problem is my wife is going to want the occasional country road ride. Is this bike big enough for us? .... i am just learning to ride. .
For the bike, no problem.  Country road, thumping along at 35-55, you're talking the Savage's home territory.  Your wife -- possible problem.  You do not want to go leaning into a turn while she is trying to remain vertical to the world.  My rule for passenger is that they hold onto me, not the bike.  They rise when I rise, lean when I lean.  They plaster themself to my back and if I cannot feel nipples they ain't riding.

WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 05/13/07 at 14:08:58

It would be a help if your wife took the MC safety class too.  There she will learn why you are doing what, how she needs to react, and learn how to ride by learning how to drive.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #7 - 05/13/07 at 14:26:20

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Yes, you can ride two up on this bike, and it is a great starter bike. But like Al said, you might want to stiffen up the shocks a bit which is very easily done and can be done yourself.

Hi guys.  How would you go about stiffening the shocks?  I know that on my VTX I'm able to simply turn the shock to do it.  How about the Savage?

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #8 - 05/13/07 at 14:59:16

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #9 - 05/13/07 at 14:59:18

Well Here's my two cents:

Take the safety course first

before you can take a passenger you must have FULL CONTROL of your abilities.

That means learning to ride in all kinds of conditions, turning being very important because with a passenger it's alot harder.

When YOU feel ready try 2 up. Everybody has a different learning curve, it might take you until next season to feel comfortable.

That's OK better safe than sorry Shocked

Ride safe

WWW   IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/13/07 at 16:13:48

Ive had my bike a month or so and im just getting comfy riding solo. I rode bikes my whole life but mostly dirtbikes ect, so today i decided to try 2 up. I must say its a whole different ball game. Ill be riding at least another month and practicing in an empty parking lot 2 up to get the feel down. DEFINATLEY take everyones advice and make sure you are totally at one with your bike before ya carry a passenger. -DOC

IP Logged
PA KID
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/14/07 at 16:22:19

wife an i ride alot 2 up through twisty back roads and the savage is perfect for that.It's only on the open road that i felt
a little underpowered going up long hills.That i worked out by
reading an opening up the little savage,this forum is packed with good info that'll help get you feelin confident on the road.It's not a cavalcade it's a cruiser  Grin

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #12 - 05/14/07 at 17:29:21

wifey and i push 320 on my 06 got the shocks turned to 4 out of 5 being the stiffest,the newer ls 650s have a bit bigger (in the rear)one piece seat wife gets antsey
after 50 miles or so butt she over hangs the sides a bit(shh dont tell her i said that)..
do take the course and get some miles under YOUR arse B4 you let her on... later option: lash a 80#sack of  cement to the back and pratice then 2 of them...she MUST stay at YOUR angle and never take her feet off the pegs till you say...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Grove_Tucky_650

Ohio - Grove City
Reply #13 - 05/14/07 at 17:38:50

I kept hearing that our savages don't do the best 2 up. Well I don't think that is true. 300+ pounds and it drove like it was just me. No problems getting to and staying @ 65 mph. I thought to myself wounder what these folks are talking about Grin

As for taking a passenger around... Well I just took the old lady around town to get the feel of things and off we went. You can tell a difference but that is to be expected. Practice makes perfect.. Take the safety course WITH your wife and maybe she will just get her own and you wont have to worry about a passenger!!

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #14 - 05/14/07 at 21:30:23

I assure you that for "country lane" putting at 30-55mph the weight you are talking about is not much of a factor for the Savage. It will thump right along. What are points of consideration are the small rear pillion pad, and the ability of the two of you to coordinate riding together.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:14:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Possible passenger?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.