Send Topic Print
My Suzi vs RRX = BAD (Read 18 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
My Suzi vs RRX = BAD
05/13/07 at 09:01:19

Dropped Suzi yesterday in an experience with a cage and RR track.  Full story on how this happened in the Cafe, but the damage is what I need some advice on.  I rode Suzi home after the fall with no trouble (other than the weird new footpeg angle!)

Right front foot peg bent into a U shape. I think it got caught between the pavement and the RR track rail, thus the weird result.  No damage to the footpeg connection point. Any ideas for straightening this?

Right throttle and lever are scraped up - the throttle is plastic, the lever aluminum. What can I do to smooth these out?

Right rear taillight is broken at the plastic joint, but still attached and working. Can I just super glue this back together?

Right side acorn nut on the lower side of the case is smushed. I am not planned to replace it, but am I going to have to saw it off if I need to get in there?

Right mirror chrome is scraped, as is my windscreen. Any buffing techniques?

My bike leaked gasoline when I fell, maybe 1 cup worth. When I checked, I found no leaks anywhere and all hoses are good.  Is there anything I need to check to make sure I'm not leaking anywhere else?

No oil leak, no tank damage at all (thank you very much), no other visible damage, but I am concerned about the front alignment as I hit the RR track at an angle and then went down.  What do I need to look for?  Is there anything else I need to check?

Thanks in advance!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Re: My Suzi vs RRX = BAD
Reply #1 - 05/13/07 at 09:37:04

To fix the aluminum, you could use a dremel to shape and polish it.  

Sounds like it's time to get some new grips and footpegs.  And turn signals.  Duct tape the stock turn signal till you get new ones.  Maybe check eBay or here, bet someone has a turn signal layin around.

Your bike is new?  If so, maybe you have Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage on your insurance.  From the sounds of it, you came out with very few problems, so I'd just fix what needs to be fixed.

I'm glad to hear you're okay, and for future reference, if you strike directly down on any modern car or truck mirror, per safety standards, it will snap free of the vehicle.  Easiest to use your left hand, if you're wearing gloves and no wristwatch.  ok, so i can't type wrist watch without the censor getting it

I'm going to look into mounting an old ball-peen hammer on Glenn soon.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #2 - 05/13/07 at 10:18:50

Hmmmm I have a ball peen hammer......and I always wear gloves.

Yes, the bike is 06, but I did not report it to the insurance and the police filed no formal report (staying under the insurance radar) because I think I can do all the repairs myself. (Well, with helpful advice from this forum!  Wink)

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 05/13/07 at 11:01:11

Fixing the fooptpeg will be easier if you take it apart. Crefully pry the plastic chrome cver off the pivot point. remove the allen bolt and you can tehn remove the peg. I can be disassembled by sliding the inner pate and then rubber cover off. You will find the bent part is probably the steel tube, not the casting that the peg pivots on. the casting goes slightly past the welded joint. Should be easy to straighten and relace. Otherwise folks are parting out bikes in the for sale part. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 05/13/07 at 11:04:41

The scrapes in the windshield can be sanded and then polished out.  How good it looks depends on your patience.  If you have deep gouges, start rough 120 grit or so.  then 220, 400 and then 800.  Then there's an emery type paper with red rouge, good stuff.  After that you're nearly done.  rubbing compound or mirror glaze to finish.  Except for the change in surface contour, mine looks new.   Grin

Take the offended footpeg off, strip the rubber off it and beat it in a vice till straight.  If the metal is cracked or torn, replace it.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #5 - 05/13/07 at 11:40:40

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Dropped Suzi yesterday in an exerience with a cage and RR track. ...Right front foot peg bent into a U shape.
 Thumper slipped on RR track -- sharply angled (30 degrees from parallelling the road) --  no cage, but it was raining and I was going too slow.  Knocked mirror askew, tiny scratch on saddlebag, bent peg.  Got home, found a 3' piece of pipe that was a snug fit over the peg and bent it back.

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/13/07 at 12:58:04

just wanted to say sorry about the spill - will leave advice on how to fix to those with more experience - my accidents always seemed to result in zero damage to bike & me luckily.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #7 - 05/13/07 at 14:16:53

I buffed the scrape marks off the lever and throttle this afternoon.  The final smoothing with emory paper did result in a nice finish.

Worked a little on the windscreen, not so bad results.  Will buff more later. Arm tired and sore!

The tail light is now duct taped in place while the gorilla glue dries.  That did not break at the rubber joint, but at the plastic so hopefully it will be fine.  I did pick a little aluminum U shaped piece out of the plastic crack....uh, no clue where it goes. Chucked it.  Wink

Tried whacking the footpeg back into shape with my hammer to no avail. May try the pipe idea next.  I was trying to avoid removing it, but it seems that is going to happen anyway.

IP Logged
Rogue_Cheddar
Serious Thumper

Hang up the phone
and drive!

Haverhill, Massachusetts
Reply #8 - 05/13/07 at 17:43:15

If your going to try to bend the peg back in shape I would want to do it off the bike , in a vice. It may require more torque than what would be safe on the bike. IMO. Good luck.

'95 Red Savage. Oring grips and pegs, 30" Fishtail muffler,152.5 main, 1/3 spacer mod ,seat lift, Verslagy.
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #9 - 05/13/07 at 18:09:20

Peg bending - yes, it came to me quickly that I have no leverage with it on the bike.  Any bending is hampered by the flexible joint. Urg.

Maybe next weekend...

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/13/07 at 19:08:02

I've got a pair of 18" channel locks and was able to bend it back some.  But mine was only bent about 45°.

You can't get it perfect because of the rubber.  And take a look at the other side.  It's not straight either.  Try and match it up.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/13/07 at 19:20:58

I hope you guys didnt overlook Paladin's reply. But, it does seem to call for a heavy piece O pipe & that's just not availab;le to everyone. A pipe wrench with a cheater pipe would span the width of the peg & the cheater pipe would give the leverage needed. A piece of plastic might protect the peg from the pressure of the pipe wrench.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/13/07 at 19:21:02

Scrapes mean nothing but cosmetic hardship, nothing more than that. The big thing is, is that you are OK, and a bruised ego is something that we all suffer from, and not only do we get over it, we learn from our experiences.

I am truthfully glad that you are OK.

My wife started learing on the Savage today, and it is a slow, but trying  process, but she is so determined to 'get it right', and with time and love ( which is patience) she will succeed.

She is 55 years old, and yes I'm worried, but I am also very proud.

I hope you can get your bike back up to snuff soon, and I know you will. Just take your time, it is, afterall, a machine that was built by human hands, and therefore, can be fixed by said hands.

God Bless, Ride safe.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 05/15/07 at 09:55:05

Peg work is scheduled for this weekend. I've been riding daily since the drop, and the odd peg shape is getting on my nerves.

Once I take it off I am going to try the bend-it-back ideas posted.

If this does not work, can you all tell me where I can get another footpeg?

Used or recycled is great, as my medical bills are mounting up since the pavement kiss. Xrays and meds are not cheap!

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #14 - 05/15/07 at 15:17:32

43550-37301

Hey all, is this the correct part number for the 2006 S40 right foot peg?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:11:43

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › My Suzi vs RRX = BAD

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.