Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Movement of decompression solenoid adjustment (Read 12 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Movement of decompression solenoid adjustment
05/13/07 at 07:06:39

Ok,  question for those who have been around the block a time or three already.

Which way does the decompression solenoid adjustment "wear" between adjustments?

Logic says the cable "stretches" and any wear would be towards making the plunger stick out more over time.

But we all know what ASSuming stuff gets you, so I thought I'd just ask.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Movement of decompression solenoid adjustment
Reply #1 - 05/13/07 at 07:34:33

Yes, I'd say that you would be correct.  Though I don't know how much that cable could actually stretch since it doesn't get much use (unlike a brake cable).

The measurement is 3-5 MM on the plunger length.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/13/07 at 07:46:26

Thats a short cable with a light load. I wouldn't expect much change due to cable stretch. I have 15,000 miles on mine & have never adjusted it.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #3 - 05/13/07 at 08:14:22

I agree it won't move much.  If I was going for a set and forget I'd shoot for the 3mm side of the tolerance and let her ride for a bit.

Just finished my 5,500 mile valve adjustment.  Exhaust valves had tightened a bit, intakes were unchanged.  Set both to a firmish slip on .005" feeler gage and I intend to let it ride until 10,000 miles running a little on the looser side expecting things stay about the same until some real wear takes place.

Did you know we don't have a pictographic (or otherwise) speedo rattle fix in the tech section?   Also, there are several generations of different rattle fixes that show up in Search, question becomes which is the best fix determined so far?

Ah, so full of questions.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #4 - 05/13/07 at 09:46:41

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I agree it won't move much.  If I was going for a set and forget I'd shoot for the 3mm side of the tolerance and let her ride for a bit.

Just finished my 5,500 mile valve adjustment.  Exhaust valves had tightened a bit, intakes were unchanged.  Set both to a firmish slip on .005" feeler gage and I intend to let it ride until 10,000 miles running a little on the looser side expecting things stay about the same until some real wear takes place.

Did you know we don't have a pictographic (or otherwise) speedo rattle fix in the tech section?   Also, there are several generations of different rattle fixes that show up in Search, question becomes which is the best fix determined so far?

Ah, so full of questions.

Oldfeller

I think that my way is best.

TVR thinks that his way is best Tongue

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #5 - 05/13/07 at 10:00:32

Greg,

Sounds like both work and do fix the problem.  Didn't you post pics on your fix somewhere?  Seem like I remember seeing out of gastank speedo pics before showing wear marks and after showing fixed state.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #6 - 05/14/07 at 03:54:07

I thought about it a bit, all the debuzzing methods used in the past.  The spring is the weakest part of the speedo mounting system and I couldn't find a spring locally that had the right size and strength to fix the real problem with the spring which has to do with firm retention (yet not TOO MUCH force being exerted).  

This got me to thinking about what the spring actually does in the speedo mount (makes up for the tank tabs being all over the place postition-wise) and that led me to some interesting conclusions about the best spring for the job.

There is a new fix-it in the Tech section about debuzzing a speedo -- with an inexpensive solution to the whole spring thing in it.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 05/14/07 at 05:30:47

Oldfeller2 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
There is a new fix-it in the Tech section about debuzzing a speedo -- with an inexpensive solution to the whole spring thing in it.

Oldfeller

I'll check it out.  The worst thing about the springs is the plastic housing that they retain.  I fixed one guys speedo, after he had tried.  One of the plastic mounts had broken from over tightening or something.  I still used the silicone rubber method though.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:15:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Movement of decompression solenoid adjustment

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.