Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Helicoil specs for mirror threads? (Read 11 times)
Otto_Partz
YaBB Newbies

Montana
Helicoil specs for mirror threads?
05/12/07 at 17:00:03

Hi,
I want to replace my left mirror on my 2005 Boulevard S40. The threads are stripped. My mechanic has been unable to find a Helicoil the right size. It not really the size but pitch, he says (I think that's what he said). A post by dypyz0 (probably not his real name) says the  all Boulevards have 10mm x 1.25 threads for the mirror. Has anyone dealt with this?  I don't want to have to replace the entire C-clamp (if that's what it's called). I replaced it on the right side, which was fairly easy but the part (new) wasn't cheap.

I have another question on a separate subject and would do a separate post but I can't think of the name of the thing that is on each side of the tank and says Boulevard. It's been several days and it still hasn't come to me.  It's not a decal. Emblem? Anyway, I'm having a dent repaired on the tank  and think I won't replace the emblem thing (it's badly scrached) and also remove the one from the other side. I'm fixing the bike up to sell it. For selling, is this a bad idea? I think it will look good. If it said "Savage" I'd want to keep it, but "Boulevard"?

If I rest, I rust.
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Re: Helicoil specs for mirror threads?
Reply #1 - 05/12/07 at 17:15:08

It's standard mirror threading, which is m10-1.25.  Except Yamaha, they reverse thread one of the mirrors.

Medallion, sigil, badge...?  

Take a hair dryer to the badge to get it warm.  Run fishing line behind it and pull it to cut the foam in the double stick tape.  Use the hairdryer again.  Get some Ronsonol lighter fluid in the big bottle and soak the goop that's left.  Easier to do this if it's warm.  Sunny days are a plus.  Try to peel the goop off by rolling one edge to the other.  Don't use a blade of any sort.  Maybe a plastic putty knife, but carefully so you don't scratch.  If you do scratch, get some Kit Scratch-Out and use it as directed 3 times and the scratch will never show up again after you wax the bike.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 05/13/07 at 23:11:48

Helicoil is an OK repair if there is nothing else. Sometimes it workes OK and sometimes after couple of  "INs and OUTs" the coil starts binding and goes out. The best repair is called "Time-sert" and it is at least 1 level above the helicoil. It is not cheap at all. I'd not recommend You to buy it, but Your mechanic. If he refuses, just buy used piece from ebay.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Otto_Partz
YaBB Newbies

Montana
Re: Helicoil specs for mirror threads?Tu
Reply #3 - 05/16/07 at 21:25:09

Hi Tux,
Thanks. That's ingenous. One medalion came off fairly easily, the one on the side of the tank already damaged, so I didn't have to be gentle. I used just the warmth from the sun, not a hairdryer.  I haven't removed the gook yet. I tried acetone, the everything solvent, but it didn't work. I may have to use lighter fluid, as you recommend. By bringing the tank to the body shop with the medalians already removed, I'm sure I'm saving money.

I'll talk to my mechanic again about the mirror threads. And thanks, Slavy for the suggestion on Time-sert vs Helicoil. The miror will be getting lots of adjustment so it would  be good to have a well-seated insert.

If I rest, I rust.
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #4 - 05/16/07 at 21:45:46

So far as I'm concerned, Ronsonol lighter fluid is the ONLY goop removal solvent.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/17/07 at 06:28:30

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
So far as I'm concerned, Ronsonol lighter fluid is the ONLY goop removal solvent.

I use Goo-Gone quite a bit, as well as mineral spirits.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:30:49

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Helicoil specs for mirror threads?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.