Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Bars, Risers, Grips, Mirror, some paint...etc (Read 13 times)
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
New Bars, Risers, Grips, Mirror, some paint...etc
05/12/07 at 15:36:41

Dunno if anyone cares, but I feel better now that I haven't wasted money on those eBay bars I got last month.  And the motoX grips.  And the junker mirror that needed a paint job. Etc.  Stickers are fun, too.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Re: New Bars, Risers, Grips, Mirror, some paint...
Reply #1 - 05/12/07 at 16:10:36

Very nice.

Definitely still digging the brown seat.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 05/12/07 at 17:20:07

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Very nice.

Ayup, that and the cherry bomb give it that "menace to society" look that I like.   Cheesy

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #3 - 05/12/07 at 17:30:06

Savage Librarian wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Very nice.

It's not a seat.  It's a saddle.   Saddles are brown.  You think Marshal Dillon rocked a black vinyl saddle?  Hells no.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #4 - 05/12/07 at 20:33:24

what is the width on those bars? also how much was the seat job? looks great. nice job!!!!

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 05/13/07 at 02:14:23

Grin Love the brown leather saddle ... very cool! Are those deep-well sockets used to "rise" the bar clamps?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #6 - 05/13/07 at 06:52:09

I believe the bars are 24 1/2".  Grips are just everyday motocross grips.

Saddle mod was free.  Took me about 30 minutes with a staple gun and some good leather.  Took the leather from work.  I took off the stock vinyl, pulled the green foam off(if you do it, you'll know the foam I'm talking about), pulled all the staples and stretched and stapled my leather down.

Correction:  the front seat took about 30 minutes.  the pillion and pillion backrest took about 30 minutes as well.  Pillion is a GD adventure if you've never done upholstery before, which I haven't.

Lowe's here in town was out of 19mm deep well sockets, so I'm using 3/4 I think.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #7 - 05/14/07 at 19:24:50

If any of you guys are around 6'3", pull the green foam out of your seat and raise the front around 2.5 inches. put 24.5" drag bars on and turn them 15 degrees rearward of perpendicular to the ground.  You ride it lower, faster, and more comfortably.  Steering with the biceps rather that the wrists, shoulders, etc.  I rode to work and home with them in standard drag bar position, but looked at some cafe racers and old Harley flat track bikes and decided to try that turned-down-but-not-quite-clip-ons feel.  It is the best this bike's ever felt.  Do need some danged bar weights though.  Anyone have any ideas other than filling with bb's?

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #8 - 05/14/07 at 20:42:38

tuxedo wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
If any of you guys are around 6'3", pull the green foam out of your seat and raise the front around 2.5 inches. put 24.5" drag bars on and turn them 15 degrees rearward of perpendicular to the ground.  You ride it lower, faster, and more comfortably.  Steering with the biceps rather that the wrists, shoulders, etc.  I rode to work and home with them in standard drag bar position, but looked at some cafe racers and old Harley flat track bikes and decided to try that turned-down-but-not-quite-clip-ons feel.  It is the best this bike's ever felt.  Do need some danged bar weights though.  Anyone have any ideas other than filling with bb's?

http://w2.bikepics.com/pics/2007%5C05%5C14%5Cbikepics-898550-full.jpg

I tried that "turned down" drag bar on my '99 chop and liked it very well. I've since changed bars/risers twice, and am going to stop where I'm at for now just because I'm tired of changing every few days. So for now it's the shortest stock risers and 8" Z-bars.  

But I think the best setup so far was probably the tall risers with the drag bars turned down like that. The short Z-bars on top of the tall risers leaned me back a bit to far, but with the drag bars turned like you have them, it makes you "tuck in" even if the bars are up on high risers.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/14/07 at 21:05:17

awright - it's a saddle, already! seriously - I like it, tuxedo!

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #10 - 05/20/07 at 08:06:13

Got rid of the rear fender, at least for a while.  Decided I wanted to try that no-fender look.

Also made my own Side Mount LP bracket.  Used an old computer case to cut it out.

$13 tail light from a bike shop

Two wire light for a three light system.  Brown -> black, white -> red, Black(ground) -> CASE OF LIGHT.

I seem to remember a post being on here about a trailer light from Lowe's or something.  Ground the case.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 00:24:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Bars, Risers, Grips, Mirror, some paint...etc

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.