Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Z bars and grips on Mr. Hyde (Read 21 times)
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Z bars and grips on Mr. Hyde
05/11/07 at 17:54:31

The Z-bars and grips finally went on.  All my cables are swapped back out for stock (except for my brake line - have't gotten around to it yet).

the Z-bars are 24 inches wide, 9 inch rise, 3 inch pullback.  There's about 8 1/2 inches between the uprights.  They're quite  abit less severe looking than a lot of others I've seen, and pretty narrow.  I think I need a mirror with a longer stem to comfortably see around my shoulder.

Along with moving the seat up and back, it's a much more aggressive feel to the ride, and completely changes the way it handles at 60-65 mph.  It feels more stable to me, but I could just be crazy.  In any case, I'm not as spread out as with the stock buckhorns (or the 15" apes I was running), so that may be it.  Just being tucke din more probably makes the big difference.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Z bars and grips on Mr. Hyde
Reply #1 - 05/11/07 at 19:25:06

That is a sweet look!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/12/07 at 01:29:47

I liike the action pics. Bikes look good sittin still, but better rolling.

IP Logged
Violent_Rage

Burp!

Trento - Italy
Reply #3 - 05/14/07 at 00:25:02

great tank!

From which bike it comes?

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 05/14/07 at 12:22:30

Nice!  Looks like a comfortable riding position to me. I'd like to be able to scoot that far back on either of mine.

The idea already crossed my mind to work the Sportster seat over with the electric knife and rivet gun, and shave the 'hump' off, or at least cut it down as much as possible.

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #5 - 05/14/07 at 13:42:55

I have no idea what the tank was designed for.  It's obviously a custom made tank from the 70s, and because of where and how the gas cap is located, I'd guess it was for a "standard" type.  On old Triumph, Honda CB...something along those lines.  I love the way it looks, but it only holds 1.5 gallons...if I push it close (and then I have to be careful about going up hills or accelerating too fast or gas leaks out the top...).  So I typically put about 1.15 gallons in it.  The advantage is that I get to stop more often and hae people ask what it is.  

When riding, it feels like I'm leaning more forward than it loks like in the pictures.  My tailbone doesn't feel any pain at the end of 45 minutes of riding, but my lower back is killing me.  I don't have the best posture to begin with, and this really just makes things worse.  In all honesty, the buckhorns were better for my back than the Z-bars.

My next project  is to rework the exhaust.  I want it to split into 2, then sweep up into stacked fishtails, ending about the same height as the top of the rear fender.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #6 - 05/14/07 at 15:20:40

lookin' pretty bad a$$!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com