Send Topic Print
License plate repair (Read 7 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
License plate repair
05/11/07 at 12:43:26

Okay, I am pretty sure this one is not already on the topic list (and i did look!).

My license plate is torn in 3 places. The stock Suzi plate holder is not doing a dang thing to keep it stable. Any time someone walks by and bumps it, it bends and tears. I did the latest damage backing it near a garage column. When I walked the bike forward, the plate caught on the edge and tore.

The plate is thin aluminum, and is ripped clear through at both screw holes and now also 1/3 across thru the lettering.

I tried adding wide washers to the front of the plate at the screw holes which did help a little in preventing further tearing there.  But now the crazy thing is about to come off from the lower 3rd tear and that one I do not know how to fix.

I am annoyed because a new plate is $25 plus the $30 fee for replacement stickers.

Do you guys know of a way to stablize or repair the plate?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: License plate tears
Reply #1 - 05/11/07 at 13:57:09

another piece of metal on the back jb weld to your plate..local tru value or hdwre store can help..
watch where you park in close quarters ive bumped mine gettin around the back end in my lil carriage house
so far just bend...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/11/07 at 14:52:14

The JB Weld sounds like a grand idea. Fine stuff in those tubes. Sounds like some tin snips & some piece O cheap metal & I know it says 24 hours, but I expect you can ride a lot sooner than 24 hrs. Especially if you put it in a warm spot to cure. If time is an issue, you may be able to find another epoxy to use, but, JB has such a great reputation I wouldnt know what to go with, unless it would be Devcon epoxy.
I am glad you straightened out what this thread is about. For a sec there, I was thinking you were cryin over your licenseplate. I was wondering if the letters said something horrible! I bet a pie pan would be stout enough, easy to get & plenty cheap. Is there a license plate "surround", you know, trim piece, like on cars, that would protect the edges any?

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 05/11/07 at 15:26:22

Same thing happened to my plate ... took the front "Accent" plate (dealer advert, made of plastic) off of my wife's old Hyundai Accent, traced out my m/c plate on it and cut out a nice backer ... works OK too, but plan to actually solder the tears in the Bikes lic. plate on the back side one of these days ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #4 - 05/11/07 at 22:39:23

Yeah. Mine got torn in half as well along with the pot-metal surround that was on it and was already broken when I got the bike. I picked up a new metal surround and it's been keeping things intact, but I've been taking it easy on it since.

The JB Weld to a backing plate sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I think I'm going to that route as I'm going to be doing a bunch of back road, dirt road, creek crossing and buffalo scouting on the "Thunder Bee" this summer in western North Dakota. Ya just know something's going to get rough and dirty before it's all done.

Jack

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #5 - 05/11/07 at 23:07:26

I had a piece of 1/4 aluminum in the garage and I used the number plate as a template, and cut it with a Dremel tool to fit behind the number plate.  Works great with no vibration at all.  Just make sure you drill all 4 holes and bolt the bottom of the number plate to the new back plate.  My back plate hides nice behind the number plate so you don't see it.  I seen them for sale on the Suzuki web sire for $35.00 I think....RIP OFF.  Smiley 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #6 - 05/15/07 at 09:49:26

This past weekend i added a metal backing to the license plate and gorilla glued it in place.  It is a support metal piece for lumber, and is smaller than the plate without blocking the screw holes.

Then I screwed the license plate with its new support back onto the frame, and it is much stronger. The frame is helping keep the metal support in place along with the glue.

I've bumped it a few times since and it has not ripped or bent again. Mission accomplished, thanks to those who chimed in with ideas!  Smiley

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: License plate repair
Reply #7 - 05/15/07 at 10:19:40

I reinforced mine by adding a heavy chrome frame in front of it.  I may add a plate in back too - maybe 1/4" aluminum or something.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Re: License plate repair
Reply #8 - 05/16/07 at 06:50:39

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I reinforced mine by adding a heavy chrome frame in front of it.  I may add a plate in back too - maybe 1/4" aluminum or something.

Yep same here.  Dealership included a pretty nice frame with the bike.  Haven't bent the plate at all.

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 00:29:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › License plate repair

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.