Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
first service (Read 7 times)
SCOOTERDUDE
Ex Member

first service
05/10/07 at 05:47:56

I'm about 100 miles from the first service and I'm debating whether or not to take it to the dealer. Do they adjust the valves at the first service or even check them? If it's only an oil change and checking the tightness of fastners I can do that myself and save some money. I went back to the dealer to pick up another temp license plate and wasn't too impressed with their service when I'm not there to buy something. I know that the manual gives all this info but I don't have it in front of me at the moment. Thanks for any help.

IP Logged
bholly12

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Starkville, MS
Re: first service
Reply #1 - 05/10/07 at 06:25:19

Most people on this board will probably say skip the dealer altogether for just about everything maintenance related.  The Savage is such a simple machine its perfect for anyone with a bit of shadetree skill to wrench on.  I am an IT nerd and haven't had any trouble with maintenance, but its up to you to judge your skill level.  And I've saved a pile of cash from not visiting the dealer Grin

I am not sure about whether you should adjust the valves or not ...... I waited until 3,800 to adjust mine the 1st time, I should have adjusted them sooner as they were set quite tight.  If I did it over again I would have adjusted the valves at 1,000 after the break in period.  When is the 1st service anyway, 500 miles?

Just pull out some metric tools and get started!

-Brad

2006 Euclase Silver Metallic S40, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in, 1/2 spacer mod, 152.5 main.
WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #2 - 05/10/07 at 10:43:00

I would say, it is up to you.  maintenance is easy on the Savage, but if you got your S40 from a good dealership you feel you can trust, you make the decision.  Myself, I bought my 06 S40 from a very good dealership, and I took my S40 in for the scheduled 500 mile check, and yes they did check the valves, belt tension, oil/filter  change, etc..  My next check was at 3000 miles and they did the same, and made a minor valve adjustment for me.  I checked with them at 5000 miles and all they did was ask me if my milage dropped, started good, ran good, good performance, etc., and said there was no need for them to do a full check, only an oil change.
Like I said, I got my S40 from a good dealership who thinks good honest service is the way to keep their customers. I know they are all not like this.
My warrantee runs out in July, and that is when I will do everything myself unless something big comes up that I fel I can not handle. Grin

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/10/07 at 14:55:32

Do you have the tools you will need? If not, the $$ you will save doing the work will pay for them real quick. A service manual is the BIG tool in the toolbox.Well, that & this forum together, I wouldnt want to be without either. A list of tools isn't too hard to get from this forum. NO need to run out & buy Snap On stuff. The thing isn't put together so tight it will stress a decent wrench. Have fun. Don't stress over this. The scary part is the first pass thru the vale adjustment. Once you have that down the only thing you will dread is having to strip the bike to get toi the valves. It's just a hassle, not hard to do.

IP Logged
BOOMER_1947
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/11/07 at 11:55:04

I'm new at posting on this board, however I have been reading this board since Bert's forum went off line.   I just want to respond to this " first service".   I have an '03 Savage that has 20,356 miles on it,  I have yet to do a first service on it, other than change the oil and air filter.  I have never adjusted the valves,  changed the spark plug, tightened the heads since I bought it new!  All I have done to it as far as modifications is changed the stock muffler to a sporster muffler.  The bike runs as good as the day I bought it, and am getting 60mpg and doesn't sound any different.   Until the beast starts running differently I don't plan on adjusting the valves or changing the plug until I get 25,000 miles on it.  I am a firm believer__ If it ain"t broke don't fix it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 05/11/07 at 15:02:36

BOOMER_1947 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm new at posting on this board, however I have been reading this board since Bert's forum went off line.   I just want to respond to this " first service".   I have an '03 Savage that has 20,356 miles on it,  I have yet to do a first service on it, other than change the oil and air filter.  I have never adjusted the valves,  changed the spark plug, tightened the heads since I bought it new!  All I have done to it as far as modifications is changed the stock muffler to a sporster muffler.  The bike runs as good as the day I bought it, and am getting 60mpg and doesn't sound any different.   Until the beast starts running differently I don't plan on adjusting the valves or changing the plug until I get 25,000 miles on it.  I am a firm believer__ If it ain"t broke don't fix it.

With that mileage, I'd sure take a peek at the camchain adjuster for peace of mind.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:27:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › first service

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.