Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Impression of a Superbrace (Read 77 times)
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Re: Impression of a Superbrace
Reply #15 - 05/09/07 at 10:19:10

Oooohhhh, well THAT makes it doable!  Smiley

I just looked at my bike, and I do have the black plastic guards.

Will take the advice of getting the fork guards since that seems to make a difference too.

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #16 - 05/09/07 at 12:53:21

Hmm, I see in the installion instructions for the LS650 Super Brace that "it may be necessary to move or purchase after market brake lines and horn."
Has anyone had to do that? Also how do the Super Brace fork shilds go on, and what is a good torque wrench to purchase for general use?
Thanks, Starlifter.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #17 - 05/09/07 at 12:58:24

Starlifter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Hmm, I see in the installion instructions for the LS650 Super Brace that "it may be necessary to move or purchase after market brake lines and horn."
Has anyone had to do that? Also how do the Super Brace fork shilds go on, and what is a good torque wrench to purchase for general use?
Thanks, Starlifter.

I don't see why you'd have to move the horn or get longer brake lines for the fork brace.  the horn is nowhere near there, and the brake line is clamped to the lower triple tree, and has plenty of play to get to the brake caliper.

tq. wrench... not sure who made mine, but buy the best one you can afford.  Do not buy one from harbor freight.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #18 - 05/09/07 at 13:02:25

OK, thanks V1776.

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #19 - 05/09/07 at 13:05:52

Starlifter wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Thanks, Starlifter.

It's real easy, you don't move anything.

The Superbrace comes in 2 peices, there are 4 screws, you need an Allen key (not sure what size but it'll be in your set if ya got one)

Use an exacto knife (box cutter) to remove plastic fork guards. They come off easy just don't scratch the forks by slipping.

Put the 2 peices together with the specified gap over the fender, can't remember what it is but instructions will tell you.

Your supposed to loosen the fork bolt or something but I never did it, as long as your bike is standing up evenly it's ok.

Bounce the front end so that everything seems ok and the forks are even.

The fork shields just screw on takes 2 minutes, buy them together with the brace.

That's it from what I can remember not hard or time consuming maybe 20 minutes.

Ride safe.

WWW   IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #20 - 05/09/07 at 16:32:47

8)  All I did when I installed my Superbrace was place the instruction sheet under it when I installed it, per instructions.  On the 06 anyways, it will sit almost directly on the fender, that is why you have to place a piece of paper under it.  On the S40's anyways, there is no need to move anything, or alter anything.  Like I said, it took me approximately 20 minutes including cutting the factory plastric fork guards off with a razor knife.
Grin 8)

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #21 - 05/09/07 at 18:06:32

If someone has one of these say...loose from their bike, and has a set of calipers, could you measure the distance from the inner arches of the fork holes?  

O----this distance----0

Or if you have a set of calipers and can just measure the distance while the brace is on the bike?  I know people who owe me favors.  People with machine shops, etc.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 05/09/07 at 20:14:47

I would recommend riding to the machine shop & talking to the machinist. If he accepts your measurements & it doesnt work out, then he doesnt have to feel too bad. If he is willing to machine the brace, it has an arch to clear the fender & is 2 pieces to pinch the  lower fork tubes. The machinist really should have a long hard look at where the brace goes & do the measuring.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #23 - 05/09/07 at 20:43:42

Hadn't thought about it needing an arch.  Never mind then.  That's one expensive piece of metal to start milling.  Explains why the brace is so "expensive."  Four holes drilled and tapped, milled on 2 axes three times, and polished.  Or anodized.  If the machine shop costs 50 an hour, that's still around 150 in labor alone.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 05/09/07 at 21:03:59

There's a way to do it with straight aluminum. A guy on this forum has done it. Maybe he still does, but I havent seen any sign of him selling braces in a long time. A piece drilled & cut for each lower fork tube & a piece that spanse between them, bolting down into the clamps on each lowewr fork tube. If the tops of each clamp ar high enough so the "bridge" that connects them clears the fender, youze in bidniss..

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #25 - 05/09/07 at 21:19:21

Oddly, I thought of that immediately after I made my previous post.  Good to hear that someone had done it before.  Something like that, I can make alone.  New project for my birthday. Smiley  Thanks

86 Savage
  IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #26 - 05/10/07 at 02:29:15

I got my brace from Tkat.com

I just clamped it on, did the final tighteniing while holding the bike straight up and the wheel straight ahead, had lots of fender clearance.

It has 8 allen bolts, 2 on each clamp, 4 on the cross piece, cross piece holes are actually slots, so you have adjustment room. Very easy job.

Makes a big difference on rough pavement, tar snakes and windy days.

When you ride over bumpy stuff, it changes that side to side wobble to a controlled up and down movement, much more stable on the freeway too.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #27 - 05/10/07 at 07:21:30

Any advice on standing the bike so that it is level for brace installation?

I looked at the home made wooden bike brace on this forum, but is there not an easier way? I want to avoid construction!

I do have a carport, and plenty of cord, rope, bungees. Could I level the bike between the posts?  How much wiggle is involved with getting the braces on?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 05/10/07 at 07:47:41

I just loosened the allen ( pinch) bolt & gave the front a wiggle & installed away. I was very careful about making sure both sides looked the same, as far as the amount of the slot the old fork ptotectors were mounted in was showing being even on both sides went.
Also, since I tend to forget things, I left the allen wrench hanging in the pinch bolt so I would see it & remember to tighten that bolt.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 05/10/07 at 20:36:57

skatnbnc wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Any advice on standing the bike so that it is level for brace installation?

I looked at the home made wooden bike brace on this forum, but is there not an easier way? I want to avoid construction!

I do have a carport, and plenty of cord, rope, bungees. Could I level the bike between the posts?  How much wiggle is involved with getting the braces on?

not hard - just losen the pinchbolt a bit and hop up and down on the bike - install the brace (put something under it - piece of paper or something to keep it off the fender or it will scratch the h377 out of your fender - I know- and tighten up the pinch bolt - then go run the tires off of it

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 15:24:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Impression of a Superbrace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.