Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Impression of a Superbrace (Read 77 times)
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Impression of a Superbrace
05/08/07 at 09:42:39

I have had my Savage since it was new 8 years, been driving it 27000 km, changed a few things on it, like a dragbar, thin seat, forward controlls, carb/KN and exhause and two weeks ago a chainconversion, all this mods have made the bike a lot better then stock, but the biggest improvment that I did was to put a Superbrace on the frontfork yesterday. Totally diffrent bike, I did notise it directly when I start to run, its so mutch more stabel, I took the bike to small twistie roads with a lot of potholes (60-100 km/h) took her out on open roads for high speed (120-140 km/h) and all I can say is  Grin woow Grin, way didnt I do this before. This sounds like a comercial for the Superbrace but it was amasing howe big change it was, the bike  feels bigger on all kinds of roads.
This was the first time I felt that I could need some more power in the bike, erlier I always thought it was Ok because the bike is not the stiffest in the frame, but diffrent today.
Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Impression of a Superbrace
Reply #1 - 05/08/07 at 10:26:52

The bike needed the brace in stock form. After the exhaust & jetting, it needed it worse. After the hatrod cam if I hadnt had the brace, I couldnt have begun to enjoy or safely use the power except in the straights. Now, I have to learn to ride at a higher level, since the bike has enough"Squirt" to break the rear loose if I goose it too hard laid over too far accelerating out of a short turn. Also, the brace allows for much, much quicker "emergency" maneuvers. I can change lanes if I need to using harsh countersteer & the front end doesnt absorb my input. It transfers it right on to the front tire. I know thats not the best way to turn, I should lean & look & set the bike into a turn using my body & Some countersteer, but sometimes someone else wants the asphalt I am occupying so much I just don't have time. For those who dont hotrod & drag pegs, I still recommend a brace.

For Safety reasons, I recommend a brace. Even if you ride like a Ol Woman..

I MOst surely appreciate that pretty thing on Bull.( That's my bikes name)

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #2 - 05/08/07 at 11:12:37

I put one on my stock 06 S40, and had the same results......WHY DIDN'T I PUT IT ON EARLIER !!.  The big difference I found, was grossing draw bridges with the metal grating, and on the highway when passed or behind an 18 wheeler.  Not only is it a necessary mod for a bike as light as ours, but I got the polished one, and it does great justice to the looks sitting on top of my Candy Red fender.  I also highly recommend it to ALL Savage/S40 owners.
Ride Safe and enjoy

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #3 - 05/08/07 at 11:19:58

Superbrace install - Is this something I can do alone, or is muscle going to be involved?

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 05/08/07 at 11:41:45

Looks pretty easy, once you get past the price!
http://www.superbrace.com/proddetail.asp?prod=3335

hopefully can be found for less $

There is a thread on it too:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Dr_Jim
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/07 at 11:57:32

-

« Last Edit: 12/23/07 at 14:52:14 by Dr_Jim »  
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/08/07 at 12:44:41

yes the superbrace is easy to put on - they come with instructions I believe but anyway there is instructions to install it on their site. & yes - you do need to loosen the pinch bolt(s?)

only reservation I have is that the brace is only part of the story - I am still a little disappointed in what it does for the bike without improving the rear shocks to say progressives (going to say another cruiser's shocks would not cut it I don't think). I find I still get some wallowing in some fast sweeping curves with some dips in the road surface - think the progressives could iron it out - have decent tires on my bike.

unfortunately - I don't have the pennies (at present) to buy a set - bought the brace some time ago after had just bought Savage & was eager to spend $ on it!

saying this - I don't think my comment should stop anyone from buying a brace - they are a worthwhile addition & when you think of price of do-dads for other bikes not too expensive (not like it is going to wear out like a good quality tire such as a metzler or that).

as we know, HD stands for Hundred Dollars (minimum payment for anything on a Harley) & BMW stands for Break My Wallet (I speak from experience - what happens when you buy stuff for those Bavarian masterpieces.) Grin

IP Logged
firsts40

Proud PGR Member

South Mississippi
Reply #7 - 05/08/07 at 19:32:32

Grin No muscle involved and I put my brace on in about 20 minutes, and that included cutting off the factory plastic fork guards.  If you are going to buy the brace, go ahead and buy the polished stainless fork guards also.  
Instructions are included.  
It is so easy a Cave Man can do it Grin Grin

Dana from Misissippi
Riding with Respect
  IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #8 - 05/09/07 at 02:48:05

Justin
Did you put in the camshaft that Lancer have developet together with Webcam? If so did you change the setup for your carb ones more, and howe is performance compared to a bike with all the rest changed (open pipe KN/carb)? Did it lose some torque at bottom end. Tell me I want to know as mutch as possible.
Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #9 - 05/09/07 at 03:29:55

The improvements you guys are talking about are similar to those I got with KLX when I took the sail of a front mudguard off, she used to wobble from 60mph up, now I've been mid 90s with no probs. Looks are a bit subjective.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/09/07 at 05:48:33

Motorcycles are like the sheets on my bed. When I am using them, I can't see them, so whatever color they are, doesn't matter. When I am riding, it's what the bike DOES & how it does it that matters,,not what I think of the bikes looks, & sure as HECK not what I think others may think of it.  

AWWWW, heck, who am I Kiddin? We all want our bikes to be looked at as "Cool", don't we? I mean,   I gotta admit, when I'm not scaring myself in a turn, I do hope others think its a cool bike.. BUt, even if no one else does, I do..be a lot cooler when I find all that hidden MPG in there..now,, wher;d that stuff go?

IP Logged
mavrik

Toronto
Reply #11 - 05/09/07 at 08:42:15

Hello savages: Put my Superbrace on last month, It does make a big difference.

Alot more stable, Superbrace even used the picture I sent them for their website, how cool is that? Cheesy

WWW   IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #12 - 05/09/07 at 09:04:00

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
as we know, HD stands for Hundred Dollars (minimum payment for anything on a Harley) & BMW stands for Break My Wallet (I speak from experience - what happens when you buy stuff for those Bavarian masterpieces.) Grin

HD actually now stands for High Dollar

Am I the only one who doesn't have problems steering the hell out these bikes?  I'm gonna have to ride one with a super brace to see for myself what everyone is talking about...

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #13 - 05/09/07 at 09:54:09

I'm not actually noticing much fork play, but I do ride in high winds a lot being on the coast, and there are multiple bridges and rough roads.

I was thinking about the brace for those reasons, hoping it will improve performance since I ride daily.

My concern with installation is taking that wheel off. What if I can't get it back on right!? A little scary for a newbie, but y'all did patiently walk me through my battery issue, so that may be the next Suzi project.

Right now it is pouring BUCKETS of rain...sigh.  Tongue

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/09/07 at 10:07:54

good news for you skatnbnc - you don't take the wheel off - it comes in 2 parts that clamp around the forks!

you do have to loosen the wheel pich bolt(?) (just loosening an allen screw if memory serves me correctly & wriggle wheel a bit (again if memory serves me correctly) but other than that that is only thing you do to a Savage. if you have a bike with built in black plastic fork guards you have to remove thos but you can cut them off or remove them with a chisel as I think justin did.

I did not buy the optional fork guards superbrace has (helps protect fork seals from bugs & dirt/grit) when I bought superbrace but wish I did - would have saved on freight (still don't have them).

check thread on it in youzguyz entry above. you don't have to go to all the trouble justin o guy did when he installed his just some extra stuff he chose to do. I put mine on per superbrace's instructions in a short time - it is one of easiest things/mods you can do to your bike if you have the tools (set of allen wrenches I think).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:20:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Impression of a Superbrace

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.