Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Joy (Read 101 times)
grim

San Jose,CA
Joy
05/07/07 at 16:18:18

Just wanted to pop in and smile. Grin

After months of tinkering, exploring, waiting for parts, scratching my head, and all the sleepless nights, the savage is back together.....for the most part.  All the critical parts are on, no pretty crome or covers... BUT IT RUNS.  I was so afraid I would have to take it to a shop after splitting the crankcase.  By golly, the first time I take an engine apart and put it back together, it works....Kind of in my own little high right now.  Pictures in a couple days, sorry.  I need a real break from that bike.  Have to make it up to the wife for all the time spent.  I won't be touching it for a while. Back hurts, hands hurt, hands black, knees hurt too.....So if anyone needs advice in opening up their bikes.....I've been there and back.

Out

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Re: Joy
Reply #1 - 05/07/07 at 16:30:08

congratulautions - I know feeling - only bike I ever stripped engine down on (a 70s Triumph Bonnie) started up 3rd kick after complete engine strip down & rebuild).

good for you! Grin

IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/07/07 at 17:33:11

Congrats grim... I too know the feeling.  My '96 fired right up on the 2nd or 3rd push of the starter after my total rebuild.  It is a GREAT feeling.  The lucky thing for me was that my wife spent a lot of time in the garage with me giving me an extra set of hands for the rebuild.

IP Logged
grim

San Jose,CA
Reply #3 - 05/07/07 at 21:18:21

and I just saw this Savage in Redwood City, CA ( I live in San Jose, CA, USA) for 400bucks.  It had problems but I figured buy and fix it since I know how, but it was sold when I checked today.

IP Logged
trooper3
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/08/07 at 02:39:21

Congratulations! I know the feeling....ie. the painful hands, the grease permanantly embedded into the recesses of your fingerprints, the sore back.....and it is not all from being old! The only consolation is that it is still way easier working on the Savage than either my cars or my other bike (VTR1000 sport tourer). It reminds me of much simpler times.

It is really a great feeling when you fix it yourself, isn't it? Beats the heck out of just playing dumb and throwing money at it. Plus, if you break down on the road, you are more likely to be able to troubleshoot and get it running again.  Keep up "doing it" yourself.
Rick C.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/08/07 at 04:31:05

Nice Goin!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 05/08/07 at 05:01:36

Gratz!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #7 - 05/08/07 at 05:04:08

Way to go.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 05/08/07 at 05:31:51

Quote:
( I live in San Jose, CA, USA) .

Congrats dude.  It is a good thing.

I lived in Cupertino for about 8 years during my youth, but back then it was mostly strawberry fields, cherry orchards, and such.   It was just a few blocks from DeAnza college.  Every time I went through the area I was totally changed, and the last time I could not even find my way around.  It has been a while.

IP Logged
BuckRYCA

New London, CT, USA
Reply #9 - 05/17/10 at 07:01:32

Hello, grim. I think my daughter and I may be getting into a transmission rebuild on her Savage. What special tools are needed? The Clymer's manual (Chapter 4, Engine) makes note of Suzuki Special Tools 09930-32410 and 09923-12410 to remove the flywheel from the crankshaft. Did you use these tools? If not, how did you manage it? Thanks!

'96 Savage - now a Ryca CS-1
WWW BuckRYCA BuckRYCA   IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #10 - 05/17/10 at 10:05:06

Buck, this thread is from 2007, and Grim hasn't signed on here since March of 2008.  Hopefully somebody will be able to answer your questions though.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:18:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Joy

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.