Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sticker Removal (Read 4 times)
jmerry
Ex Member

Sticker Removal
05/07/07 at 06:05:41

Any tips on removing the white caution sticker from the gas tank?  I know I've seen some things in the past, but wanted to be sure before I attemped.. I DON'T want to screw this up!

Thanks!!

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Re: Sticker Removal
Reply #1 - 05/07/07 at 08:11:53

wd-40 and a blowdrier. clean up with some goo gone to get the residual adhesive off the tank. It'll take you 5 minutes, tops. It worked perfectly for me with the caution stickers and the "savage" stickers on the side covers. As for the tank stickers, they are clearcoated over. You can get them off, but it's a lot more challenging.

WWW   IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #2 - 05/07/07 at 10:55:36

If WD-40 and a blow dryer are the tried and true method of other folk who have removed the sticker from their Savage... I'd bow to that suggestion and use it.

However, on the general subject of removing labels and the glue crud from them... the tried and true method amongst people who work on guitars is "Zippo" lighter fluid to remove the stubborn stickers that pawn shops often put on them. Guitars can have any kind of finish from a nitro lacquer to polyurethane, and I've never seen the Zippo fluid damage any finish.

Another handy tip: Someone recently mentioned using starting fluid "ether" to help get their bike started. DON'T use that stuff!!! It is intended for use in diesel engines with much higher compression ratio, and no spark plug, only a 'glow plug' to assist in starting. Ether can damage a small engine. It's notorious for blowing head gaskets. WD-40 is a great starter fluid for stubborn lawn mowers and motorcycles, I even use it on car engines and it will do no damage. Even lubes as you crank the engine.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #3 - 05/07/07 at 15:09:19

There is a complete topic on this subject in the Tech Section....An article from a bike magazine.

Ya have to be real careful too.  You don't want to suck a dent in your tank Tongue

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #4 - 05/07/07 at 15:31:43

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
There is a complete topic on this subject in the Tech Section....An article from a bike magazine.

Ya have to be real careful too.  You don't want to suck a dent in your tank Tongue

If I ever need a dent sucked in a tank, you'll get first call. There's nothing worse than a talent wasted.  Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 05/08/07 at 06:22:13

Rockin_John wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
If I ever need a dent sucked in a tank, you'll get first call. There's nothing worse than a talent wasted.  Wink

I'd say that's pretty obvious.

Besides, you don't want to heat the gas tank too much with the hair dryer.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #6 - 05/08/07 at 21:10:18

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'd say that's pretty obvious.

Besides, you don't want to heat the gas tank too much with the hair dryer.

You got a good point there. I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be heating a fuel tank.

Knowing how you (Greg) enjoy my 'stories'... I'll have to tell you the one about the Yam DT-250, the gas can, and the fool with the Zippo that caused me to lose my eyelashes and about half my eyebrows when I was 15...

On second thought, you might enjoy that story too much, even though there was no risk of the tank getting a dent sucked in it.  Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 05/09/07 at 09:47:15

Hair dryer works well if you use a half a brain with it.  Better than a heat gun and you don't have to heat it to boiling anyway.  But on second thought, that might be a good way to pop the dents back out.

I had a DT-400

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:22:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sticker Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.