Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie's ride for glory, part 1.   (Read 7 times)
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: Newbie's ride for glory, part 1.  
Reply #15 - 05/07/07 at 17:53:55

Sonofagun333 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Ok basic personal details are as follows....im 26, the captain of a tall ship here in key west, and have been riding motorcycles for about a year and a half now.  This is my 3rd bike, before that was a 72 triumph daytona 500 and then a 76 honda cb550 four.  The triumph was stolen in boston (darn) and the cb I sold in pittsburgh...both ran pretty good.  I've had the opportunity to do some regular maintenance myself (front/rear tire removal, brake pad change, oil change, even took an old 86 rebel carb apart once which was a lesson in what NOT to try yourself) but my expierence is limited.  So, with a good tool kit in hand and the clymers manual, plus another good book on motorcycle maintenance, AND if worse comes to worse roadside assistance with progressive, I feel prepared to tackle this trip.  
Now, the trip is not just to get up to pittsburgh, but to see more of the country I live in.  So time really is not an issue.  We're talking 2 weeks or so...meaning that highway driving isnt what I have in mind.  Backroads, local roads and incidently those cool roads they suggest to pedal bikers when they want to bike across the US.  Thats the name of the game in my opinion.  Take my time, enjoy the country, meet new people, don't die.  Not really in that order.  
The bike just hit 20k and has been in the shop as recently as 4 months ago with a complete checkup, new tires, new oil filter and spark plugs.  Not quite sure if the seat is stock, but it's wide and comfortable and i'm up for it (considering i'll be on it no more than 200 miles a day, at least thats the plan.)  

The truth is much of this trip isn't planned out to a T, it's just going to happen...But the more I can learn about the bike before hand, the happier I will definatly be.  

By the way, im planning on camping out using a hennessey hammock.  Anyone ever motorcycle camped with one?  They look SWEET.  

I suspect you'll do quite well. I had a 75 cb550 for over 20 years prior to the savage. great bike very dependable. good luck on your trip. should be a lot of fun. The head plug normally doesn't leak enough to really matter. keep us posted.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #16 - 05/07/07 at 18:11:19

when you get tired, pull over and take a nap.  Your life is not worth "making time"

drink water or juice or gatorade, not soda or energy drinks.  

wear earpulgs.  you will be significantly less tired, and you won't have nearly the headache you otherwise would.  Trust me, it's true.

there are about 12 different ways to ride a savage.  learn them.

make sure you know how far you can go on reserve gas.

make sure you have cash, 'cause it sucks when the credit card company cancells your card in the middle of a trip b/c they think it's been stolen.

look tougher than you are, but remember, neither your wallet nor your bike are worth your life

pass tractor trailers as fast as possible, or slow down and let them pass you quickly.  Be espescially careful if it is windy (cross wind)

bring a rain suit. and helmet.  rain hurts if you're doin' over 30. buit 40 in the rain hurts as much as 80.

bring something, anything, to read when you take a break.  I read a menu 10 times once 'cause I wanted to look at something that wasn't moving.

Check your oil level.  If you need to add oil, put the fill cap on the ground, not on the bike.  This way, when you forget to put it back on, it'll prolly still be there, and not on the side of the road where you won't find it.

I've done 1100 miles on a stock savage in 22 hours.  I've also done denver to seattle to chicago to boston in 7 days, with 5 nights of sleep.  fun? kinda, but you swear you'll never do it again.  until you do.  No better on a V* 1100.  your hands and feet will hurt, not to mention your butt.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 05/07/07 at 18:43:45

Hey there Sonofagun....let me know when yer gonna head north...We're about 180 miles from your starting point, and have an extra bed and a hot meal...maybe save you a few bucks on the first leg of your journey.

I hope you can handle your beer....plenty of stories to tell around here...

If it's early August, we'll be on our way to Sturgis, but we have some friends that could put you up...just let me know, glad to help out.

IP Logged
JaredMcLaughlin
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 05/07/07 at 20:28:54

I don't post much, but I'm in Pittsburgh. If you're looking for someone that knows the local scene, or what have you, drop me a line.

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #19 - 05/08/07 at 10:56:41

Call your credit card company before you leave and tell them where you are travelling and when you will return. They will flag your account so your credit will not be denied during your trip.

Get off your bike and walked around when you stop for gas.

And now vroom1776 needs to specify WHAT the 12 ways to ride the thumper are so we newbies can learn them!

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 05/08/07 at 11:19:42

regular

on the hump between the rider & pass seat (I like this one a lot)

like a sport bike, leaned forward, feet on pass pegs

similar to above, but not leaned forward (sitting on your junk... okay for a little bit)

feet on pass pegs, butt on rider's seat (don't do this in traffic)

feet on rider pegs, butt on rider's seat

one foot on rider peg, other on pass peg, but on pass seat (don't do this in traffic)

regular, but either foot on a pass peg

roll your hips way up, nearly sit on the tank

on rider's seat, feet up on turn sigs

that makes 10

IP Logged
skatnbnc
Serious Thumper

Spinning Pink

New Bern NC
Reply #21 - 05/08/07 at 12:15:32

Whaaa! Most of those are no good for me - I'm too short to reach if I sit on the sissy seat!  And my legs are too short to reach the pass footpegs in the rear while sitting forward.

Hmmm. How about feet up on the tank cross legged once at a steady speed on a straightaway? Just kidding!  Wink

2006 LS650, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, badge-free zone, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, the one in FRONT of you, flying the Kings Colours
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #22 - 05/08/07 at 12:18:29

sittin' on the hump is actually very good...

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #23 - 05/11/07 at 14:21:52

"12 ways to ride your savage"... hmm reminds me of an old song about leaving your lover Cheesy

I like the hump too.  But it puts my head into the wind coming over the windshield.  I've used 1-2 of the other positions, but being on a bike for a while, you sure dying to find some other way of sitting, that's for sure.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Sonofagun333
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Key West Florida
Reply #24 - 05/25/07 at 12:09:49

Hey guys, apologies for the communication lapse but it turns out that if your relatives find out you live in florida, prepare yourself for a family reunion.  Actually its not if, but when.

Its a blast planning this trip, and i'm hoping to time it with my sister's graduation in early august.  For those of you who are curious, im heading up to pittsburgh because that's where im from, and thats where my parents live.  Assuming the bike and rider make it there in one piece, i'll most likely sell the bike (an unpleasant thought) to afford a plane ticket to israel to visit my girlfriend and her parents.  Trading one lady in my life for another so to speak....but if you saw her you would see she's worth it.

Anyway the packing arrangement is going to be as follows...magnetic tank bag, soft tour master saddle bags(which will hold a 1+ fuel container in each) two cylindrical shaped army waterproof laundry bags laying horizontally on top of the saddlebags, a duffle bag across the passenger seat and on top of the two laundry bags, then a pvc waterproof army medical supplies backpack secured to a sissy bar extention and on top of the suzuki tiny luggage rack they make for the bike.  Thats pretty much it.  All the heavy stuff will be mostly as low as possible in the laundry bags and/ or centered in the duffle.  And i'll be packing as light as possible with respect to clothing...leaving room for the hammock, some spare line, a larger tool kit, some MRE's, a book or two, spare parts, etc...  

I'll probably head up the west coast of florida and into georiga, following the campgrounds that extend into the georiga mountains and into the blue ridge mountain area of tennessee and north carolina.  I'd like to ride the tail of the dragon at deals gap.  

I really like Trippah's idea of contacting suzuki and inquiring about striking a deal exchanging photos and true stories for technical support.  If suzuki has a newsletter or similar publication and would be interested in publicizing a 1500 mile+ trip through the US on a savage, I think I could link the idea with a similar one involving interviewing savage owners along the way.  Describing and recounting expierences had with the savage, the crazy situations that you find yourselves in, the passing on of golden knowldege from life on the road...wow, what an amazing amount of PR for suzuki.  Not to mention for all those involved.  So i'll contact them and pitch it, and if they're interested i'd love to get in touch with those of you who would be willing to participate.  I'll let you know.  

Also wanted to say thank you to K1200LTryder  for the offer...my plan was to go early august, but real early, like the 3rd or so.  Not so sure when sturgis is or how long it takes to get there but i'll let you know.  

This is shaping up nicely.  Hope all is well with all of you, and thanks again for the advice.  I'll need all I can get!  

Josh
PS. and as far as rain gear is concerned, i've found nothing better or cheaper than frogg toggs road toad suit.  it's great.  

IP Logged
erodelius
YaBB Newbies

Take it to the
limit.

Irvine, CA
Reply #25 - 05/25/07 at 12:21:58

you just love imports dont you? haha! good luck to you in your travels. i once went to sweden for a girlfriend but it didnt work out. glad i didnt have to sell anything.

2007 Boulevard S40: Jardine slip on muffler and a K&N drop in filter (no snorkel)
Evskie   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #26 - 05/26/07 at 05:31:50

Think you could rig one of these on a Savage??

http://www.magsbags.com/grandtouringbag.html

Or you might consider a Rev-Pack:

http://www.revpack.com/motorcycle/products/TourPack.htm

I've used their Tour Pack for years -- it'll hold two sleeping bags, a tent, two thermarest pads, raingear and a whole lot of odds and ends!  Plus the website says they're having a special on the Big Mama U-pack.

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
sparkett

never ride faster
than your guardian
angel flys!

central florida
Reply #27 - 05/26/07 at 10:03:54

Hi! you  didnt say how many miles a day you are going to do. im around 450 ( guess) from you on the west coast.got a spare room and hot shower on the third if you need it. I did a picnic lunch to ga and back. it was good to get home! get a sheep skin to sit on, when you have done the 10 ways to ride, add sheepskin and you will start over, wind up with 20. Grin

1987 pet thingy, dyna muffler,dyna jet carb,K&N cone filter, still working on her!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 16:27:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie's ride for glory, part 1.  

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.