Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tires -- old designs vs new designs (Read 27 times)
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Tires -- old designs vs new designs
05/06/07 at 08:23:55

Been shopping for some front tires .....

Was struck by the strong difference between what front end tread designs have become over the years.  Was also struck by how much more expensive the modern high performance designs have become.

I have a thought or general theory to accomodate this long term change in tire designs.

Motorcycles did not have 100 hp engines in years past.  Rubber tire comounds used to be a good bit harder in years past.  The old hard rubber tread designs with the little hair-fine sub-grooves were intended to increase tread flex and provide conformance to the changing road conditions when using a harder rubber.  

Front tires were intended to grip and steer, not to carry very heavy braking loads as their primary duty.  This falls in line with old style front brakes not being as super strong as they are today.

A rib style front tire is the dead worst tire for a modern machine.  It may not be the worst thing out there for a Savage (but we do brake fairly hard and rib styles can't handle that sort of braking action without cupping).  

There is a generation in between rib tires and the soft grippy tires that might be optimum for our Savages -- these would be the all weather touring front tire designs as developed by Michelin and Metzler.

Dunlop 404 was the start of the soft grippy compound tires -- you lost all your sub-grooves and began the march of the wide simple groove styles.  I remember when these were new and were all the rage for the street rocket crowd.  I wore them front and back on my Yamahas and I wore them out every two years.  In my experience they worked very well but tended to wear the centers out too quickly due to their sharp apex form.  Good gripping tires though.

Now they are listed as "classics" and are getting phased out by the newer grippy designs.

Modern tire compounds are very soft and grippy -- they are not mechanically strong enough to allow (or need) the fine sub-grooves detailed tread designs of years past.  
They wear out FAST, too.

We don't require a high speed carcass construction -- we can't break the ton without a lot of work and modifications.  130 mph ratings are totally wasted on us.  Most of us don't even lean our bikes over very much (well, are your pegs ground up very much?  Mine aren't, really -- just a little bit.)

If you want to see the older hard rubber designs -- look at the old Dunlop designs and wince at the high cost.  Or look at Dunlop's most dedicated copier of their older designs -- Cheng Shen.  BTW, this Cheng Shen name brand is only used for the old Dunlop and Michelin/Metzler design copies any more, if you want a rip-off copy of a new design you may have to upgrade to Maxxis (Cheng Shen's upscale new brand name).

I was torn between a Dunlop 404 clone and a touring type Michelin/Metzler clone for my front tire.  I finally picked the higher priced touring clone because of the good all weather rating.  Dunlop 404s sometimes didn't care for heavy rain (lacked all the rain grooving and fine conformance sub-grooves that the touring tires have).

Now, I am assuming the tire compound will match the groove design -- if they screwed up and pressed the tire using soft modern comounds it will wear out just as fast as any other modern tire would.  If they stuck with the old harder rubber compounds I may get a tire that will last more than a single season or two.

I bought my 2002 LS last year with 400 miles on the odometer.  The IRCs were new looking and still had nibs once you left the straight up position.  Now my front tire is about at the legal wear limit and my rear is somewhat past that -- all in 5,350 miles.  
This sucks for tire life.

I had bikes that kept front tires for 3 years or more -- this level of 1-2 year tire wear that you guys simply accept as "normal" gives me the hives.  I dont' like changing tires all that much, really it isn't my favorite thing to do by a long shot.

Let's see if an old hard rubber "fine detail thread" designed front tire can give decent wet performance characteristics and still manage to live a good bit longer while doing so.

www.bikebandit.com/product/3412

<grin>

Oldfeller

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: Tires -- old designs vs new designs
Reply #1 - 05/06/07 at 10:21:26

Mighty fine post, Old Feller. I am running the Maxxis tires. OEM rear was slimy & slick for the whole 5,000 miles. It should have been off no later than 4,500 miles. It was worn out. Front ran to ( I think) Yes, right at 12,000. But was so cupped it had been causing serious handling issues, tho I was so green I had no idea what the deal was. The thing was like riding a cow thru the turns, a drunk cow,, I dont want to accept a tire on the rear every 5,000 miles, but am on schedule for just that. I will need a tire before summer is done. Front is looking fine, so far. Maxxiss, also. When this rear is toast, I want someone who KNOWS tires & knows what it means to grind the pegs to help me decide on what to put on. I need grippy more than I need a tire that lasts for years, but, the susp[ension on a 650 will only go so far, so buying a tire that will work oon a Race Bike, is more tire( grippiness) than I will ever see the need for, I can compromise toward  longevity( harder compound) & still have all the grip I need for the G forces a 650 will see in a turn. ( IF this thinking is based on insanity, stipidity, ignorance Or just moronic ideas, PLEASE tell me now, cus I dont want to be getting up thinking the bike shoulda held that turn,,  Wink Is the Dunlop the tire>?? Metzlers? Or, just stick with the grippy little Maxxiss & replace as needed? Is it as grippy as a Metzler? I dont want to spend a sack O $$$ & wish I had bought a cheaper, softer tire.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #2 - 05/06/07 at 10:50:46

My predecessors on the old fart side were touring riders and they rode BMWs and Gold Wings for hundreds of thousands of miles in all kinds of weather.  

I think they knew what they were doing.  I don't think they traded off too much wet weather handling for mileage, but I think they got their mileage out of their Michelins and Metzlers because in their game mileage counted.

Admittedly, I'm shopping for rip-offs of proven designs.  I just hope the copies are FAITHFUL copies, right down to the rubber used.

I've got a pair of Dunlop Max Cruiser rears that I bought when Sluggo spotted them on clearance at MAW.  I've now got a pair of BikeBandit fronts coming along with some tire irons and a spare tube for each end of the bike.

(me and tubes have a tire changing history, mostly bad)

Looking forward to wrassling that rear Max Cruiser on to the rim -- that is a firmly constructed tire and looks to be a good fight coming to get her on.

Fronts are so large a diameter they should be a piece of cake compared to the rear.

Have you priced a spoke wheel weight lately?  $10 to $15 dollars EACH !!!   Yikes !!!

Now that's a real rip-off.   I cast me some lead bullets of various sizes and I think a .44 or .45 caliber heavy slug that has a hole drilled down the center of it that is spoke sized and a counter bore in the base that is nipple sized combined with a kiss on the band saw to give you an entry path for the spoke to get into the middle of it sounds like about like free to me.  

Has more character, too.   More than a big salt water slider weight would have (that's another alternative source of inexpensive spoke weights, BTW)

Oldfeller

========================

PS   justin-o-guy -- I peeked at the current rip-off copies of old hard rubber constructed tires and what I found was distressing.  There is only ONE (1) old style hard rubber detail tread copy of a rear tire left in production that will fit our bikes at this point in time.  

Our 140x90-15 rear tire size is increasingly becoming a rarity in hard rubber style aftermarket tires.

www.bikebandit.com/product/3424

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/06/07 at 11:47:40

Hey OF, save yerself some trubble, get a fishing weight on a swivel, cut the swivel off, drill & slot accordingly, cut one end off. So close to free it's just OUTrayjuss!

So, you understand I am after a sticky tire that will last enough miles to be worth the $$? Also, I can run the taller tire. I have the grunt & need the ground clearance.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 05/06/07 at 12:38:32

Are you saying you can mount a 150x90-15 tire without side or top clearance problems?   Great!

Then you are back into the Maxxis tires at $88 a pop.  You are back into the much softer modern rubber compounds also.

Bet you the old style 140x90-15 Cheng Shen hard rubber fine detailed tread construction tire for $43 will outlast the $88 Maxxis even though the Maxxis is clearly the bigger wider taller tire.

(I'm betting it's made from a modern softer compound too)

Oldfeller

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/06/07 at 13:40:27

justin o guy - I know the metzler sports touring tires I ran on my departed BMW were evidently grippy but only got about 6000 out of a back tire, 12000 miles out of a front. know bike was lot more powerful & heavier than savage so obviously this had some bearing on the wear.

metzlers for savage seem pricey but seem to have a good rep for grip on this site so...

I use dunlop 404 & am happy with grip but though think I ride a little harder than thumperclone don't drag pegs & such so maybe not ideal choice for you. not had for long enough to tell you their wear life - sorry.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/06/07 at 16:23:45

Just looked at the rear. 3,000 miles & on the wear bar. That's not very dang good. I guess I'll need to cough a little harder, dig a little deeper & get a tire that will hang a bit tougher, but still stick,,  What Metzler model is the sport touring?

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/06/07 at 17:40:00

sorry justin - sold bmw only couple of weeks ago so can't check type & forget what one it was. think sizes were mainly for bigger sports tourer types anyway.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/06/07 at 19:25:39

I think Ill try to get a Cheng Shen Cheepo. If it wears like an eraser, so what? For that kind O $$$, if it makes 3,000 miles I will be tickled & if it's a piece O crap for traction, I'll run it a while & look for a better tire. No Big loss. I guess I'll spring for the longet tire bars, I dont want to spend 15 or 20 bucks to mount a 45 dollar tire. I think I better talk to my "dealer". They treat me good up there. Maybe if I buy the tire from him I can get a deal on mounting.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #9 - 05/06/07 at 21:39:56

I have a Cheng Shin on the back, ME88 clone. Installed in 2000, put a few thousand miles on it, parked the bike. Tire still looks okay tread-wise, but is cracking pretty good. My stock IRC was trashed by 5K miles.

Have a take off IRC on the front, came off another Wa member's bike (he doesn't play here anymore). Typical piece of junk. When I get the drum front wheel installed (needs bearing work), I'll be running a Grand Sport (now Cheng Shin) GS690 90/90-19 rib tire with modern side lugs. JC Whitney has them for under $35. Mine is a new old stock from my last bike shop job. Paid all of $10 for it, $7 for the tube.

If I could find a 90/90-19 and 130/90-15, whitewall like Holodeck's, but with vintage tread, I'd run them exclusively. Modern tires look goofy on our bikes. The bike will handle so much better on the correct size rubber... stock tires are technically oversized for the stock rims.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/06/07 at 22:31:11

I dont care what sidewalls look like. I just want a tire that hangs in the corners, hauls the bike down with the brake & lasts long enough I feel like I got my $$'s worth. The Maxxiss was cheap, but not cheap enough I feel good about it goin away in 3.000 miles.
Who makes a 130-90-15 that does the job? I'm game for a different profile. The bike handles better( bunches) with the superbrace, but still wallows in long sweepers. The shocks are crap, we all know that, but I wonder how much that has to do with the aspect ratio of the tire (rear) & the wear it has oon it? The wear affects the aspect ratio, since the thing is shorter & then relatively wider, due to wear.. Right?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/06/07 at 22:42:41

I didnt mean the shocks & tire's aspect ratio have anything to do with each other. I know the shocks are crap, but the wallowing.. how much of that is from tire wear? It is worse than it was, & last time the front tire was worn, cupped bad, it handled like a drunk cow. Now, its the rear that so worn, but not cupped. It LOOKS even, but, Ill bet its not. I cant have worn it evenly. Only randomly.

IP Logged
Rockin_John
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

+36° 10' , -95° 48'
Reply #12 - 05/06/07 at 23:43:17

I don't see any problem with using the "old style" ribbed tread Cheng Shen on the front as Oldfeller suggests, but I'm a bit concerned about trying to use the 140/90-15 Cheng Shen I have for the back. Here's why: Deflated, it measures about 2-6mm wider and about 10-12mm shorter than the 140/90-15 Dunlop 404 on the rear of my other Savage.

Now, by width, that Dunlop just barely fits in there with a fender support bracket bolt removed. So... if the Cheng Chen doesn't grow in diameter, and get a bit more slim with inflation, it might rub, or drop my gearing a little bit; neither of which I want. It's gonna be a really close fit, if at all. Here's the JCW # of Cheng Chen I have: ZX621983A

I got the tire for practically nothing, and already tried to get a couple of local shops to give me even just a $20 trade in towards a Dunlop 404 for my brand NOS 2005 Cheng Chen w/ cardboard bands and plastic stickers still on it, and they aren't interested. So...I'm probably gonna give it a shot on the old '87.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #13 - 05/07/07 at 04:05:53

Rockin John,

Rib styles on our bike would look fine, but I brake too hard with the front tire and the top ribs would wear unevenly (cup) badly for me.   Always have.

If you mostly use engine braking or rear petal braking they could be a good lower cost alternative for you.

Discussion on downsizing the front tire a bit rings true, the stock IRC front is a just a wee bit big just looking at it.  Shame I already ordered the standard OEM size -- I'd have reconsidered it now.

Tire irons, I bought a $26 dollar set of three (long longer and longest) because the ones I have now are short and really not up to the job of handling that rear tire.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/07/07 at 07:43:18

I went to 3 shops looking for tire irons. The Hardley shop considers them a "specialty"item & doesnt stock them, the other 2 had them, but longest was 8 inches, so it was just a race for the $$ at that point. The shop I finally found, where the people are cool & they will order whatever I need & are even decent on the prices, has some LONG irons. I spose I'll just HAVe to pay them another visit. It's also very nice that they are just far enough away to make a decent ride out of it.. I wish you folks had such a place.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:22:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Tires -- old designs vs new designs

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.