Sportster seat update (Read 9 times)
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Sportster seat update
05/06/07 at 06:22:12

I finally got the sportster seat installed. I got the seat from Lancer earlier this week (thanks Lancer). It took some work but I think its gonna be worth it. I first tried to reuse the brackets off the stock seat, I got the seat on but it wasn't sitting properly. So I took it off and trimmed alot of plastic from the bottom of the seat so it would sit lower on the frame. When I did that, I had to cut out some plastic material that the brackets attached to. So I had to make a bracket out of 1" flat steel and screwed it to the bottom of the seat. Then I bent the ends of the steel  bracket to match up with the mounting tabs on the bike, drilled and tapped the bracket and it went on pretty good. I did have to modify the the taillight and re-route the wiring so I could use the wire hole for a rear mounting point. I have pictures of the finished product. I'll post pics of the bracket the next time I have the seat off.

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Sportster seat update
Reply #1 - 05/06/07 at 07:33:39

lookin good!!
im lookin to replace my sport shield,when u ride are you lookin over or thru your "fats"??

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #2 - 05/06/07 at 07:51:25

With the old stock seat, I was looking through it but now with the sporty  seat, I am right at eye level with the top of the 21" fats shield.I'm only 5'7" though.
AL
Oh, I almost forgot, it's alot more comfy than the stock seat.

azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #3 - 05/06/07 at 08:04:13

congratulations, with out a doubt, the single best mod we ever did!

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #4 - 05/07/07 at 21:34:36

Does the Sporty seat give you room to sit back further at all than the OEM seat ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #5 - 05/08/07 at 06:29:08

strangeling wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Does the Sporty seat give you room to sit back further at all than the OEM seat ?

yes, and the front of the seat is kicked up, so it naturally sits you back, also, the saddle is a little wider, made with better padding and cover material, etc.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
strangeling

Ex Savage Rider but
always a SAVAGE

Salt Lake City UTAH
Reply #6 - 05/08/07 at 17:47:48

What year sportster seats will work ?

07 S40 Brat BOBBER - Hard Krome drag pipe, header wrap, Cone filter, jetted , harley drag bars, solo seat, chain conversion, seeger forward controls, custom rear fender, fork gaiters.
  IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #7 - 05/08/07 at 17:58:59

What year? thats a good question. The one I have, I got from LANCER. Not sure what year it is. There is one on sale on e-bay right now for 99 + shipping, and that includes instructions with pictures.

verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 05/08/07 at 19:10:20

look at the seats in the sportster seat mod in the tech section and find one that looks like them.  I think as long as its a late model sportster, it may fit.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #9 - 05/09/07 at 11:52:50

ALfromN.H. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
What year? thats a good question. The one I have, I got from LANCER. Not sure what year it is. There is one on sale on e-bay right now for 99 + shipping, and that includes instructions with pictures.

'04 and later, is the seat on ebay listed by qwik bay? that is who i bought mine from, he has several styles to choose from, if you dont like the smooth finish, and includes his version of mod instructions.

IP Logged
mbb703
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 05/09/07 at 17:17:41

Does it make a good bit of difference to change to a sportster seat. On a scale of 1-10, what would you say.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #11 - 05/10/07 at 02:01:06

I would say you need to go to the local HD place and sit on a sportster!  (or find someone who has one you can sit)
It may not be exactly like the Savage would feel with a sportster seat, but it will give you an idea if it feels better to you.
I did that.. and decided the sportster seat mod was not for me.  I am still looking for my solution.  Bought a couple of seat pans from a guy on this site, and some day I will have the time to experiment with different materials and shapes for the cushions.  Then probably end up getting an AirHawk cushion anyway!

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #12 - 05/10/07 at 06:48:47

mbb703 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Does it make a good bit of difference to change to a sportster seat. On a scale of 1-10, what would you say.

10!! IMHO
butt i really, really hated the origional seat. debby rode the bike once with the factory seat on it, and refused to get back on the bike until i did something about it.

IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/10/07 at 08:12:39

I sat on a 2005 at a dealer yesterday that had a screaming eagle sportster seat on it. I am 6'2" and the regular S40 didn't seem that bad, but this seat pushed me so far forward that i felt like I was on a minibike.
To me an ideal solution for taller people would be to fit a seat like on the triumph Bonneville that is narrow and flat from front to back allowing for flexibility in where you sit.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 05/10/07 at 09:29:32

Yeah that was my 1st impression as well, but the back part is a lot softer and you can push into it.  In the end the sportster seat is better than stock.   Grin

A totally flat seat would lift you up even higher.  Pull off the cover and thin out the foam in the transition area to the pillion if you need to sit back further.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 06:30:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Sportster seat update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.