Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cooler Plug for Hot Weather? (Read 3 times)
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Cooler Plug for Hot Weather?
05/05/07 at 16:44:37

Has anybody tried running a cooler plug? I was stuck in traffic and the big single got a bit hot. It stumbled with two or three loud cracks out the exhaust when I was finally able to use some throttle. I'm just wondering if a cooler plug will help or should I plan on a little carb work. The bike ran fine after a short distance, just had a stumble and cracking backfires when hot under heavy throttle.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Cooler Plug for Hot Weather?
Reply #1 - 05/05/07 at 19:15:51

the service man only suggests a "hotter" plug(ngk dp7ea-9) when standard plug is apt to get wet...
keep us posted...
btw   whats a little bit hot ?? u got some sort of temp gauge???...

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 05/05/07 at 20:08:55

No temp gauge, just seat of the pants. Could be I just need a new plug, it's been in there for two years.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/05/07 at 21:58:50

Question: If the bike is stuck in traffic, is it better to idle high & run air thru the thing or just let it sit there at idle? Is pulling the "Choke" one click & holding the idle up gonna make it hotter? Cooler? No change?

I don't have this problem. I don't get stuck in traffic in Longview,Texas.. just asking. Exposing the level of understanding I have,,  Wink

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 05/05/07 at 22:18:38

First, air temperature has no bearing on spark plug heat range. It is only designed to keep the spark plug operating at the correct temperature to clean the plug of deposits and not self destruct.  2nd as there is no fan on the Savage, raising the engine speed only adds more fuel = more heat, so is counter productive. Just let it idle or pull over and shut it off. On water cooled engines raising the speed increased the water pump and fan speed and normally helped to cool things down. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 05/06/07 at 02:16:44

I just use a Denso IX 24 B (similar to DPR8EIX-9) in KLX but she is water cooled, I would be tempted to run a IX 27 B or DPR9EIX-9 in a Savage.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 05/06/07 at 08:24:30

Ed, I kept playing with various things plugs, oil, and fuel mixture while watching the over priced screw in case temp gauge over the same commute path in the the same >90f heat. Once the mixture was dead on - took close to a month of 1/16 turn back and forth to find it -  the biggest difference I saw was the oil - the 20w/50 VTwin Mobil 1 knocked at least 5C off the temp in heavy traffic, high heat.

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #7 - 05/06/07 at 08:36:50

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
 the biggest difference I saw was the oil - the 20w/50 VTwin Mobil 1 knocked at least 5C off the temp in heavy traffic, high heat.

now THAT is some valuable information!  Shocked

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #8 - 05/06/07 at 10:08:21

Thanks, the oil is the lifeblood of any engine. Will give it a try next oil change which will be soon.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/06/07 at 10:31:30

WEll, Is that stuff very pricey? HA! I just typed that & saw the enormity of the stupidity that it demonstrates! 5 deg. C out of an engine? Thats a lot of friction GONE, which = longer life.. ( I wish I was one of those clever people who can do those comparrissons & their values, ending with one that is, naturally, priceless) I have just recently gone to a cheap oil, but it's for diesels & they run millions of miles, so cheap( compared to "Motorcycle Oil") doesnt necessarily mean Lousy.

CLIVE,, You said"  I would be tempted to run a IX 27 B or DPR9EIX-9 in a Savage."

Why?What is the thinking that creates the decision to place one above any other?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 05/06/07 at 10:39:39

Cooler Plug means cooler engine.
As it's apt to foul, the engine quits, now it's cool.
Of course your temperature will rise to the boiling point.

WWW   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 05/07/07 at 03:39:21

I think it goes back to my two stroke days, insurance. No burning holes in pistons no fouling due to small center electrode.
Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 05/07/07 at 10:48:32

I get Mobil-1 V-Twin 20w50 at Wal-Mart.  I don't recall the price but I do recall it was cheaper there than elsewhere.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 06:30:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Cooler Plug for Hot Weather?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.