Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Curious about cylindor head gasket replacement (Read 6 times)
crustyxpunk
Ex Member

Curious about cylindor head gasket replacement
05/03/07 at 18:27:55

I'm about to do the cylindor head on my savage (23k on it and its starting to leak oil from the head) and was wondering since I am going to all the trouble is it worth it to replace the chain guides. I looked them up on bikebandit and the one side was running 26 and the other that has the tensioner on it as well was like 50, which is a little pricey for me right now. I'll replace them if I have to, but I dont really want too. This is my first bike and so I'm not to savy on all of the maint. that comes with them just yet. I know all about cars, but bikes are a bit foreign to me, so any advice would be great.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Curious about cylindor head gasket replacement
Reply #1 - 05/03/07 at 18:47:03

I would replace them if they are worn.
Or the tensioner is way out.
You could order them when you need them, only it took 2 weeks to get mine.  I'm about to go freaking nuts.  I need a ride!   Shocked
good thing I don't work in a post office, go to school...

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 05/03/07 at 20:57:59

crustyxpunk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I'm about to do the cylindor head on my savage (23k on it and its starting to leak oil from the head) and was wondering since I am going to all the trouble is it worth it to replace the chain guides. I looked them up on bikebandit and the one side was running 26 and the other that has the tensioner on it as well was like 50, which is a little pricey for me right now. I'll replace them if I have to, but I dont really want too. This is my first bike and so I'm not to savy on all of the maint. that comes with them just yet. I know all about cars, but bikes are a bit foreign to me, so any advice would be great.

Most likely your rubber head plug has started to leak and not the head gasket itself read up on the head plug it's fairly simple to fix. Tech section has heavy documentation on how to do it - read it all so you don't end up with strip'd broken bolts and such that creates far more work than the leaking plug is in the first place.

Yes, at 23k you should pull the clutch side case off and have a look at the cam chain, tensioner, and guides - several excellent post going right now, some pretty interesting fixes if your tensioner is out over the limit.

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/04/07 at 06:07:19

I concur with realthing...probably leaking head plug/cap.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 05/04/07 at 06:48:30

I agree on both counts.  It's likely the head plug and, at 23k it's time to evaluate the condition of the cam chain and tensioning components.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
crustyxpunk
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/07 at 11:36:31

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I really dont think it is the rubber head plug because no oil is leaking from uo there. The oil is leaking out down by the bottom of the cylindor head and the top of the jug itself. I think I may go ahead and eplace the guides and check the chain for wear. If the rubber head plug can cause the oil to leak all the way down that far please let me know and I will save myself the money, but I really do think it is the gasket. When I get a chance I'll post pictures up. Thanks again!

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/04/07 at 11:41:38

Hey there Crusty, the head cap plug leak really makes it look like a leaking head gasket, oil all over the cooling fins on the head and the jug.

Also the elongated O-ring on the head cover should be looked at.

Head Gaskets on these engines rarely fail, and when they do, you would "hear" it , as well as see it.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 05/04/07 at 23:10:03

So far I haven't seen any bad head gasket.
 The best thing is to pull the head cover and double-check the guess. Also pull the clutch cover and check the tensioner. Decide AFTER you have the facts. Before You start the project , get at least the plug and the clutch cover gasket. If You decide to do all the 9 yards, don't install the new parts untill You do all the work- just slap it together with silicone in the 3  places /plug,  head cover and clutch cover/ . Degrease it good, wait overnight.  Ride it this way untill all the parts are in Your hands. If it leaks in the mean time- so what, You will survive 10 days while checking the oil every day.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/05/07 at 02:01:18

Folks may laff, but one thing I did was run screws back n the holes while I was cleaning, to displace the oil, so I could clean it up & not have it coming up out of the threads as I installed them. I dint want the oil coming out of the bolt holes & running on the liquid gasket sealant.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:17:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Curious about cylindor head gasket replacement

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.