Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
MPG totally stinks, & has been lower (Read 33 times)
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

MPG totally stinks, & has been lower
05/03/07 at 07:47:53

than others for a very long time. The MPG started down before I ever changed a jet or touched the exhaust. Currently, about 35 MPG, runs very nice, but cant pass the gass station. It was getting in the low 40's when I did the cam & upped the jet to a 155 from a 150, & that did stopp all backfiring. Anyway, the slide was cleaned with Berrymans & a good rag, the valves are a bit loose. I have checked the float & it's not flooding the thing. Theres no fuel in the line from the petdoohickey. Any ideas? I am going to a 152.5 main as soon a sthe PO brings it, but that wont put me back in the 50's Im sure. Heeelp!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: MPG totally stinks, & has been lower
Reply #1 - 05/03/07 at 08:50:00

Just recently, someone said the stock fuel line are unreinforced and liable to leak.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 05/03/07 at 09:43:33

What does your spark plug look like? It is your window to the action in the combustion chamber. Some ideas, if the air bleeds in the upper (dry) part of the carb have gummed up it will enrich the A/F mixture all other things being unchanged. I noticed an improvement last year when I ran the recommended amount of SEAFOAM though a couple tanks of gas. I beleive the fumes helped to clean out the slightly restricted air bleeds, Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #3 - 05/03/07 at 10:31:51

Justin -

didn't you say that your MC was running rich (based on sooty plugs) before you went to the 155 jet? Sounds like your mix now is even richer than before. I don't know if this would explain all of the loss, but if I was trying to improve my gas mileage (oh guess what, I am), I would work to get the mixture right unless there was an obvious problem. An obvious problem would be loose valves.

I'm guessing most of the people getting over 50 mpg are running pretty close to stock hp also, which means pretty much stock air flow. I know when I was riding my Savage, I kept track of the mileage overall (over 5K miles) in all kinds of riding and got a little over 50 mpg. My MC was stock.

One thought, not related to fuel/air mixture, are you using regular gasoline or something with ethanol mixed. This affects mileage.

One more thought, what about your timing for ignition and valves? Is it possible things are stretched or out of whack?

Obviously how fast you ride and how much you use the throttle (stop and go vs steady mileage) makes a tremendous difference.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #4 - 05/03/07 at 14:18:51

You have another issue besides the main jet. I run a 157.5 with a Supertrapp and always get better than 50 mpg. What did you do with your white spacer?

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #5 - 05/03/07 at 16:44:57

I'm running a 155 main with a sporty muffler and K&N drop in filter and I'm getting 55 mpg. I don't ride like a madman but I don't ride like an old lady either. mostly back roads and city riding.
AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #6 - 05/03/07 at 18:17:46

What was you MPG with the 150 main jet?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/03/07 at 20:03:22

150 yielded about 42 MPG, with 14 baffles in the Supertrapp, stock pilot,1/2 white washer. I accelerate fairly hard & run up to 65 or 70 quite a bit, but not all the time. I dont spend a lot of time in town. I just think theres more to this than MY wrist on the throttle. I dont see any leaks anywhere. I have checked the vac line to diaphragm several times. I spose I can do it again..

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 05/04/07 at 05:24:57

Do you ever get a raw gas smell? Even just a whiff? You might have a very small leak that is causing this. It may not be big enough to produce liquid, only vapors. I recently had a coolant line that was wetting the reinforcement fibers and then the vapor was traveling along the reinforcement to escape out the end of the hose. No visible trace left, but the coolant level was going down. Dealership actually saw some vapor escape and thus diagnosed the problem. Replaced the hose and all is well.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/04/07 at 06:16:17

My daughter has a pretty good nose. I'll get her to nose around the thing a bit. I HAVE smelled gas before, but cant remember if it wwas shortly after a gas station visit. Maybe I shoukd just replace hoses & see?

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #10 - 05/04/07 at 06:21:59

i have had the stock paper air filter get fuel soaked (i hate the d@mn cv carb!) and that would restrict air flow to cause a fat condition, just a thought.

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/04/07 at 13:17:17

Also. have messed up & left it on Prime, & it didnt flood, so the float valve must be working fine. Ive been thinking about the fuel line being somewhat porous. If that were so, then the only fuel that could be lost is that in the line. When it's parked, the line would be al that could dissi[ate. I dont see that being enough to create a low MPG situation. If it was leaking bad enough to do that, seems I could see it sweat, if not drip. I am stumped.. Air cleaner has never been wet & is a K&N drop in. Waitin on a 152.5 main & I will be back in the carb. I will spens some time with a can O berrymans, blowing thru everything. I did notice a decrease a long time ago & it just seems to be getting WURSER & Wurser! I have even lightened up on the gas( When I remembered) & cant get good MPG.. The valves aren't needing service loose, just not as tight as I would do them if I adjusted. They arent even on 5, closer to 4 I betchya. I'll be in there in another 3oo miles.
Thanks to all for taking time to consider the options & respond..

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 05/04/07 at 18:03:11

I'd check that you have the needle, spacer, etc. installed correctly. Check for pinholes in the diaphram and make sure the slide is squeaky clean. I wouldn't go too lean on the main jet just to try to fix your mileage. Running too lean is not a good thing. With a K&N and lots of disks in your Supertrapp, I wouldn't go leaner than 155 on the main jet. Whatever main jet you settle on, do a WOT plug read to make sure you're not running too lean.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #13 - 05/04/07 at 22:31:23

Justin it really sounds like you have a problem, here. I am getting around 45-50 with a 155, K&N cone and I ride the throttle, and ride mostly in town. I think it is time to go through the whole system, I.e start at the airbox and end at the exhaust. making sure all the connections are tight, and all the passagways are clean.

Sumpin' just ain't right as they say.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/04/07 at 22:32:21

Thanx, Bob, I'll pay extra close attention when I do the main. Anyone else think I am flirting with disaster going to 152.5 using 14 baffles? I can always do the plug read, WOT after warmed up, hit the kill & shut down? Is that the deal?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/29/24 at 08:40:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › MPG totally stinks, & has been lower

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.