Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SCREAMING EAGLE PIPE QUESTION? (Read 6 times)
Jonny_Chicago
Serious Thumper

Nazis, f**k off!

Chicago, IL
SCREAMING EAGLE PIPE QUESTION?
05/02/07 at 10:32:24

Thanks everyone for their input, I think I have decided
on the HD Screaming Eagle...Just curious though, how
do I know which SE fits my '96 Suzuki Savage?  Do I buy
slip ons or exhaust pipes? How do I buy just one?  I think I am just going to get the pipes and then have my
mechanic rejett...This will be the first step I think.

Any input is much appreciated, sorry for being a noob.

Thank you much
Jonny Chicago Smiley

IP Logged
grandpa

Old but not cold!!!

Bartlett TN
Re: SCREAMING EAGLE PIPE QUESTION?
Reply #1 - 05/02/07 at 11:59:34

By what I've read here, either Sportster or Dyna muffs will fit. I have a Dyna muff on my '06. It has the slotted/carriage bolt set-up like the factory savage muffs. The Sportster has a mounting tab. I have used just a 1 3/4" inside x 1 3/4" connector from AutoZone. Most people get a 1 3/4 " pipe bent at a muffler shop with a 7-10 degree bend about 7 " long total length. Makes it a lot easier to get everything aligned and sealed up. The Harley muffler clamps have worked good for me. I knocked the 1/2 round inserts out so they will clamp a little tighter. I went to one muffler shop and the manager told me he couldn't bend a pipe that short. I figured if he didn't know to bend a longer piece and then cut it down, then he didn't need my business. There was an AutoZone right across the street and I was too impatient to wait till I got to another shop. Good luck!!

Blue '06, seat mod, K&N drop-in filter, desnorkeled, 55 pilot, 152.5 main, 1/3 spacer, dyna muff, factory bug shield, 11.5 Progressive rear shocks, debadged, fork boots, 110/90-19, 140/90-15
grandpa   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 05/02/07 at 13:22:20

jonny  -see my earlier  comment re pipes to you - the way I did my slash cut hard krome applies equally to the screaming eagle pipe. same  idea of getting the pipe bent (take the header pipe & muffler in to the muffler shop so they know the dimensions of the tube/connnector piece to fabricate. a 10 degree bend as I said. I made mine a little longer than 7" - 10 I think. used the hd muffler clamps stock (ie not knocked any part of them out (?), used permatex copper for seal & left it for 24 hours to set before starting bike per thumperclone (Lon's) advice.

you might want to buy a new gasket for the header pipe where it fits into engine - some do some don't (hi Greg!)but this  will help save risk of leak there. be sure to torque the bolts down to correct tightness but no more - can strip them. (why I think a torque wrench is really necessary for ownership of Savages.) after riding bike a few hundred miles check tightness of bolts - one of mine had come loose a bit. (always check when engine is stone cold.) can't recall how tight bolts should be but sure someone on site can help you with info if you ask.

quite understand getting mechanic to do rejetting - "a person has to know their limitations" to paraphrase Clint. advice - buy some stainless steel allen screws for mech to replace crappy bolts currently holding bowl to bottom of carb & "cap" to top of carb - will make working on carb, whether you do it or mech. in future easier. again not sure of what size are needed - use a separate thread to ask for  vthis from others on site, same as how tight to torque down the header pipe bolts.

oh yeah - reason I said might buy a gasket for where pipe goes into head - you might have to take header pipe off bike with muffler to get the 2 apart - I did. had to put old muffler in vise & work @ it some to budge them.

IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #3 - 05/03/07 at 01:18:49

I went to my HD dealer and asked if they had a sportster pipe that someone took off their bike.  He told me no but he had a slightly used SE that he would sell me for $30.  Not a scratch on it, no heat shield.  I bought a generic heat shield later.  It fit right on and sounds awesome!!!  Now if I could just get that jetting just right!

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
praetorian
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 05/03/07 at 09:11:16

Savage = HD eater wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I went to my HD dealer and asked if they had a sportster pipe that someone took off their bike.  He told me no but he had a slightly used SE that he would sell me for $30.  Not a scratch on it, no heat shield.  I bought a generic heat shield later.  It fit right on and sounds awesome!!!  Now if I could just get that jetting just right!

That must be nice.  I went to my H-D dealer and asked them and the guy looked at me like I was insane.  said they don't do things like that."

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/03/07 at 11:24:44

my local H-D dealer said when people change their mufflers they take their cast offs with them hence had none to sell.

no reason to doubt them but seems weird when so many of you have H-D dealers that have them for sale - maybe my one doesn't want them left there to clutter the place so tell the folk to take them away?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 05/03/07 at 16:55:57

well, what I saw recent was a new set of SE slip ons for sale on craigslist in austin - that had been bought for $400 from the HD dealer and were for sale because they already had a set as a gift they didn't know about - see the SE's are also take offs by some for Reinharts and such but the HD dealers can't sell them as new so if they toss them anyone that wants a set has to buy new @$400 instead of nearly free - I'll bet you dealer is tossing the things.

check this out - I'd sure be amazed if they sold - but who knows....
http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/322695336.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › SCREAMING EAGLE PIPE QUESTION?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.