Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage. (Read 21 times)
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Re: Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage.
Reply #15 - 05/05/07 at 19:59:33

Congratulations, and greetings from Houston, TX, USA.  I got a 2003 Savage in March and have finally gotten around to posting here.  Mine is blue/green metallic, completely stock.  It only had 1725 miles or so on it when I got it!  I noticed the backfires too, but I kind of like them.  It seems to take a while to warm up, but, other than that, no complaints.  There have been a few times where I REALLY wished I had a windshield, but I thought I would try going without it for a while.  I was lucky to get this bike, and I don't have much $$$ set aside for accessories.  I had been away from riding (1982 and 1993 Suzuki 1100s) for about 12 years and thought I'd get something cheap and simple this time.  The power seems adequate most times, but I don't have the luxury of limitless power like I did with the 1100s to get out of trouble on the fwy, etc.  Of course, I had windshields on those bikes, which helped.  The seller was a great guy who helped me load it up and gave me some tie-downs.  There were no real surprises, except for a missing screw on a rear turn signal assy. and a missing battery tube.  Of course, there was the inevitable "used vehicle single key" and no manual.  I was grateful for the 2002 Owner's Manual scan linked on this site (only one year off from mine!).   Anyway, the bike looks great, handles great, and sounds QUIET.  I think I'll be keeping it forever.  I may put that Dynamuffler upgrade on it, but that's it for accessories for this  year.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 05/06/07 at 04:22:31

Hey J Mac,
Sounds like we're in the same boat....not willing to spend loads of cash.  

My bike didn't come with a manual or tool set....bummer.

And you're right, it does take awhile for the savage to warm up....I notice slight intermittent hesitations while riding at about 30mph (usually closer to startup).  Highway riding is smooth, but slower riding at lower RPMs can be a bit touchy.  Then again this could be something as simple as a loose throttle cable I suppose.

Gonna change the subject abit:

One really cool thing that I've noticed is the signature wave from fellow bikers.  It's such a simple gesture that means a whole lot.  The moment you hit the road you become part of a sort of brotherhood.  I'd say 99% of riders will give you the wave....regardless of what type of bike you or they have.  I think that's cool....a wide-spread acceptance simply because you ride.  I wish this sort of tolerance and acceptance would span out to other aspects of our society.  

-sean

IP Logged
J Mac

Laissez Les Bon
Temps Roulez

Louisiana, USA
Reply #17 - 05/08/07 at 19:50:24

Hey McLay.  Fellow Scotsman?  The warmup issue is no big thing.  My old 1100s seemed to warm up faster, that's all.  I don't like leaving the choke on long, because I feel like I'll forget.  I rode today, and there was plenty of popping.  I've heard Harley's pop quite a bit.

Oh, of course I didn't get a tool set either.  Whenever I trade in a car or sell anything, the new owner gets 3 keys and everything that came with the vehicle and probably more.  I guess I'm just conscientious that way, but not a lot of others are.  The last truck I sold had an MP3 AUX jack that I added for $70.  I need to get around to building a minimal tool set I guess.   Somebody mentioned you should include a good range of metric wrenches, a plug wrench, and some pliers.  I haven't taken a long road trip yet anyway.

Yes, the wave is kind of nice.  It makes you feel part of something.  Sport-bike riders don't usually wave.  I'm sorry, but I've noticed they do not; nothing personal against them.  Maybe the position is too awkward.  This guy I knew once said the wave in the 70s was a clenched raised fist.  When I road in the 80s/90s up North it was kind of a short regular wave.  In TX, where I live now, it's kind of an angled point to the ground, which I like better (feels easier/safer).  Harley guys even usually wave at me, which is nice of them Wink.

“These go to 11.” --Nigel Tufnel
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage. 101BR
Reply #18 - 05/08/07 at 20:46:13

Welcome. The Permatex you're using isn't really the correct one. What you used is only rated to 500 degrees.

You want to use Permatex Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker 101BR. It's rated to 700 degrees. It's orange in color.

http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_maker...

IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 05/09/07 at 03:46:08

Howdy,

Thanks Dynobob for that piece of info...I guess I never studied the temp specs on the copper stuff...will definitely use that next time.

And J Mac...yep a fellow Scotsman here, well by a couple generations.  My Grandfather came over from Glasgow in 1920 I believe.  You don't need to ask what my drink of choice is either...I'm sure that's fairly obvious.  

Latest Savage update:
Don't have to worry about checking the plug or changing the oil as the dealer did those.
I did adjust the valve clearance and the Decomp. cable freeplay.  Thanks to all of those who posted in the Tech section....extremely helpful.  

Nothing was really that far from spec.....the valves were at .006 and the decomp cable was at about 2mm.  This makes me feel good....hopefully the previous owner didn't beat on the bike.  

I put everything back together and she started up no problem....everything sounds great.  

Now to go ride.

-sean

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 02:18:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.