Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage. (Read 21 times)
mclay
Ex Member

Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage.
04/30/07 at 04:01:40

Howdy fellow Savage riders.

As you can probably surmise, I just bought a 2000 Savage....originally rode a Buell Blast for a couple of seasons and then stopped for a few years.  

My thoughts on the 650 after a few rides:

Plenty of power....great acceleration and keeps up highway speeds.  

Nice lines...a classic design.

Definitely better on the ears...my blast was friggin' loud.

All in all, I like it....sorry no pictures yet (I know someone will request pics).  It's yellow...kinda looks like a taxi. Ha!

So I'm thankful that there's a forum dedicated to just the Savage....muchos gracias to the webmaster.  I'm already learning alot about what to expect with my new thumper.....very cool.

-sean

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage.
Reply #1 - 04/30/07 at 04:20:11

Welcome aboard!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 04/30/07 at 04:30:16

Welcome aboard.  How would you compare the two bikes power and handling characteristics?

IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/30/07 at 04:50:37

Hi again,

A comparison....let's see.  The Blast was I believe rejetted and had a Vance and Hines exhaust (before I bought it).  The blast was quite snappy in 1st gear...a bit touchy I'd say....not as smooth as the savage for take off.  The upright riding position was not bad on the Buell, but the seat was not built well for longer trips.  

Both bikes being thumpers have nice low end torque...you actually feel the power, which in my opinion makes for a more interactive ride.

I'm gonna say that the savage has better acceleration at highway speeds....basically you don't feel like you're losing power if you decide to pass someone on the highway.  

I have noticed that it's quite necessary to hold on tight during hard acceleration....the savage really pulls.

Both bikes do fine at handling the road....they're both fairly light so tight turns are not overwhelming.

Obviously this is entirely subjective....but I like the look of the savage better.  The Blast looks part cafe racer, part sport bike, part standard.....not sure what category to put it in.  I remember getting looks and questions all the time with it.  The savage is more classic and appealing to me.  

-sean  

IP Logged
azjay
Serious Thumper

aridzona...        
            its a
dry heat

Reply #4 - 04/30/07 at 07:20:12

welcome, from sw arizona. what part of NY state are you in? there are other savage members up that way too. enjoy the ride. 8)

dyna muff,1/2 spacer,152.5,55,drilled air box,idle mix,spark plug door,harley bars & seat,spitfire windshield,turn signal,dunlops,man.pethingy,ISO pegs,engine cage,hiway pegs,support 81
  IP Logged
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/30/07 at 20:09:21

My bike is a 2000, its green. I wish mine was yellow, love the look of the yellow. Congrats on getting a savage, im loving mine.

-DOC

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 04/30/07 at 20:31:54

You ought to add a checker board stripe!   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Savage = HD eater

So Cal
Reply #7 - 04/30/07 at 21:59:26

Welcome!!!  I bought our 98 Savage for my son but I love riding it!  I have an 06 Honda VTX 1300S and if I really want to get back to basics, I hop on his Savage!  Best feeling in the world!  (except when I want to feel like I'm riding a Cadillac)

When I'm on the VTX, I'm a smooth operator but when I ride the Savage, I'm back to the basics!!! (and loving it!)
  IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 05/01/07 at 03:53:54

Hi azjay...wish I was in Arizona.  I'm an hour south of Rochester....basically the middle of nowhere.  I live one town away from Alfred University...small private college.

Well after a couple days of ownership I've noticed some of the signature Savage traits....backfires, lean mixture, etc.  I may check the valves and spark plug soon though, never know what the dealership really inspected.  

I ran a search regarding the backfires...not a big deal in itself.  One post mentioned the junction at the header pipe and muffler....apparently this is fairly common to not have a perfect seal at this spot???  

Long story short, my bike does the same thing...the junction isn't air-tight.  I pulled the muffler and applied some high-temp silicone.  Replaced the muffler and gave the silicone time to cure.....started her up and there's still an exhaust leak.  Ugggh.  Oh well, at least I tried.

Hmmm, what else.  I decided to pull the wind-screen....too much concentrated wind on my helmet.  

So there you have it folks...I'm settling in on my new ride and getting used to her quirks.  I must say, the look of the single giant cylinder is growing on me...at first it looked lonely with all that empty space around it.  

Anyways, I digress.   That's all for now.
-sean

IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #9 - 05/01/07 at 15:56:33

Welcome from New Mexico U.S.A.

I too have a 2000 however its got blue tank with deep forrest green fenders. Oh by the way, it looks ugly as sin and I love it.  Grin Grin

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
splash07
Serious Thumper

Charleston, SC
Reply #10 - 05/01/07 at 18:18:10

well I got a 2000 and it is the wonderful yellow. I am currently in a bobbing process (slow due to lack of funds) but i dont think that ill be keeping the yellow paint much longer.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/01/07 at 21:22:51

you said you used silicone to fix the joint between the header pipe & muffler - how long did you give it to cure? I used permatex copper & gave it 24 hours before I started bike up when I replaced muffler. when I took original muffler off I noticed the previous owner (or maybe one before that) had used what looked like a coke can to shim the joint between the pipe & muffler - maybe you will have to go that route?

IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/02/07 at 03:35:44

Hey George,
I used the Permatex Black High temp gasket silicone...should hold up but I may switch to the copper, unless it's just a different color.

I didn't give it the full 24 hours to cure either....my bad. Embarrassed
Because reinstalling the muffler required several twists and turns and manipulation for a proper fit (darn brackets), I might have forced some of the silicone out of the junction.  Might just pull the header pipe/muffler assembly as one piece and rework it.  

Then again, the blackish smoke I saw post silicone application could've been excess silicone being burned off seeing how I didn't allow the full cure time.  It definitely smelled funky...not like ordinary exhaust fumes.  I'll check it out today...will report back.  

If this is the most amount of trouble I encounter with my Savage then I'll be a happy man.  Honestly, this is just to try and reduce the occasional backfire.  This type of thing definitely doesn't make or break a bike.  As long as she's mechanically sound....that's all that matters.

-sean

IP Logged
mclay
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 05/02/07 at 13:46:19

Ok...another update on my new (to me) savage.

After a full day of truly letting the silicone cure, I can say that the muffler has a tight seal....already notice a decrease in backfires.  So problem solved.

Still trying to think of a name for her....I'm quite the wise-guy when it comes to things of this nature.  Something that has to do with the color yellow obviously.  Perhaps I'll call her "Jaundice" or maybe "Chiquita".  Who knows.

Well I took the banana-bike out on the highway today....at 65-70mph.  Dang, the wind is killing me without the shield.  It felt like I was gonna fly off the bike...and yes I maintained a relaxed posture.  I'm a fairly tall but lightweight guy....so essentially I'm a big sail.  

Lesson 1: The windshield, although cheesy looking, really helps out.  So I put it back on the bike....yeah I'm a wuss.  Maybe I should refer to it as a "wuss-shield".

That's all for now.

-sean

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 05/02/07 at 16:48:41

glad the longer curing time worked for you sean - I would not have known to do this had someone who had not already gone through what we did (putting on new muffler) advised me to do it.

must admit I'm not bothered by  wind - maybe because my bars give me a lean forward stance. only ever had 1 bike with a full fairing (a BMW R1100RT sports tourer) - it certainly paid @ the speed I would haul on the odd occassion (like over 100 when overtaking a truck before settling back to a mere 85 - the interstate limits here are 75 but I've found the cops fairly forgiving of folk doing 85).

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 00:27:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hey all...just got a 2000 Savage.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.