Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
new owner, new problems (Read 7 times)
jamesb
Ex Member

new owner, new problems
04/29/07 at 18:08:02

hello,
I just bought a 2000 savage with 37000 kms. It rode fine yesterday. This morning I was connecting the rear brake light cable and forgot to turn the power off. I got a dead battery. I hooked it up to the my car (car was off) and now the engine turns over but doesn't' start. Is the carb flooded? how to i fix that. I'm also wondering if the engine needs to be running before oil levels can be check. The oil looked low in the oil window but that might be because the engine hadn't been running. Thanks
James

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Re: new owner, new problems
Reply #1 - 04/29/07 at 18:53:51

Since you dont know how old the battery is( or do you?) I would look at it closely, check the water level, unless it's a maintenance free. Charge it with a battery charger, I wouldnt want larger than 6 amp, but maybe I wouldnt care if I knew more about them.If the battery is dead & you do jump the bike off, then the charge system is working real hard to charge the battery. I dont know if that's a good thing, but I tend to think not. IF the battery is no good( get a FREE checkup on it at the auto parts store?) Then consider a "Big Crank" battery to replace it. Maintenance free, some kind of gel instead of water, won't spill in a crash. If the electrical system isnt getting enough "juice" they will crank but wont start.

Checking the oil. The book calls for the bike to be warmed up first, then shut off & let it sit a few minutes. Then, on level ground, get the bike vertical & look in the window on the side of the engine. It should come to the top line.IF the oil is above the front line & below the rear, the bike is pointed downhill,, not okay,,

I am sure the folks will think I am totally obsessed with cam chains, but it looks to me like you havce about 23,000 miles on that bike. If it hasnt been done, it is in dire need& the consequences for not doing it are bad news.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #2 - 04/29/07 at 19:04:20

Welcome James
Tell us more. "I was connecting the rear brake light" Why? did something happen that disconnected it. When you did "try to connect it, did it spark or snap or smoke? Based on the information you gave us, and I'm not sure on this but if the battery is drained or toast your bike may not run. charge it up or take it to (Any ol' place will do) have the battery tested. If it test good then it may just need a good charge. If it got that way from leaving the key on then problem solved. If that's not the case then you need to look closer at the charging system.
As for the oil level that is checked the the bike level and cold. NOT Running and if it was running wait 5 minutes and get the bike standing straight up (may need a 3" shim under the the stand until it's upright) Then ond only then will you get a more accurate reading.
Enjoy your Ride. Let us know what you found.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #3 - 04/29/07 at 19:09:24

bike will crank but not start with kill switch in kill position...took me a couple of times to get it when i first bought my 06...hope its that simple!!! Wink

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
jamesb
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/29/07 at 19:17:23

hey thanks for all the tips. Just to clarify, I bought the bike knowing that the break light cable was broken. So I still have a rear break, but the cable that engages the light needs to be replaced. From the last two replies it sounds like your saying that jump starting the bike with a car and booster cables won't necessarily provide enough juice to start the bike. Am i correct in saying this? I will definitely go get my battery checked out. Cheers
james

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 04/29/07 at 21:42:08

If the battery is run down yet will turn the engine over, it may not have enough power to start the engine.  Spark being the issue here.  If you jump the battery, charge it with the car first before attempting to start the bike.  1/2 hour at high idle is enough, 5 minites is usually all I can stand.  Check the water first.

There are push starting techniques that work when the battery is low.  One of the 'big crank' threads discusses them all.

Justin has the oil check procedure right, check warm but off for a minite, on level ground with the bike held vertical.  Remember, warm not hot in case it falls over on you and you don't get burned.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
jamesb
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/04/07 at 22:11:21

thanks for all the advice. I borrowed a battery charger from a neighbor and charged it overnight. I also had to drain the carberator because i had flooded it trying to start the engine before. After that was done the bike started perfectly. cheers
james

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 16:25:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › new owner, new problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.