Send Topic Print
Front brake GRINDING! (Read 26 times)
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Front brake GRINDING!
04/26/07 at 07:21:32

I've read the thread started by wvchoppers on front brake squeeling, and although my topic is related, I thought a separate thread was warranted.

I've had a squeel since day one (I have a 2005), but that didn't bother me.

But now, with only 2,300 miles on my bike, I have a loud GRINDING noise from my front brake. It's so loud that drivers and pedestrians look my way when I really apply the front brakes and come to a full stop.

I used my back brake only whenever I could as I was out running errands last night. And for safety reasons, that's not a habit I want to get into.

Also, about 50% of the time, after I start up from a full stop (after using the front brake) I hear a small grinding sound from the front brake for a while, as if the pads are still making slight contact with the disk.

I can stop this noise by very slightly engaging the front brake and letting go of the brake lever.

So is there an adjustment I can make, perhaps? The calipers are out of whack, maybe? Can I do something to the surface of the pads or the disk?

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Cheers. Tammi

I'm not a part of a redneck agenda.
-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
Roadie

No, it's not a
Harley.

Lansing MI
Re: Front brake GRINDING!
Reply #1 - 04/26/07 at 07:56:00

Pull the caliper and check it out.  I bet its worn out pads...  Do you see any deep grooves in the rotor?  Or is it smooth"ish"?  If you do the pads you'll NEED a "mighty vac" its a must.  Don't bother with a non-vaccum brake bleeder.  And don't worry its EZ to do even for someone like me.

My stock pads only lasted till about 3K so don't feel bad.  There's alot of use on them!

My guess since I can't see the bike is that the pads a toast and you've got the thing all the way out.  So this is what I did when mine went.  

Bought EBC pads and mighty vac (found at Sears).  Pulled the cap off up top.  Sucked out everything with the vac (complete brake fluid change out. )  Pulled off the caliper gently pushed in the pads, removed old (there's a clip)...  Then had a friend pour in some brake fluid while vacuumed out the air.  Tighten the banjo, put the caliper back on.  Pumped the handle grip, suck more with vac, and done....

Oh  one thing I forgot, pull the banjo fitting and put some plumbers tape around it so you don't loose your vacuum.

I'm sure someone more mechanically inclined will have their two bits.

- Roadie

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/26/07 at 07:56:36

You could have a pebble, or some kind of debri hanging in the pad, or caliper. Try hitting it with a high pressure hose at a carwash, it might clean it out.

Otherwise, if it keeps grinding, it's time to pull the caliper and further inspect.

Maybe the pads are shot (and if they are, DO NOT ride until everything is fixed)...if there are deep gouges in the brake rotor, you have no other choice but to replace it.

Hope this helps

IP Logged
smokey02

Time flies like an
arrow, fruit flies
like bananas

Alta Loma, California
Reply #3 - 04/26/07 at 09:46:43

Mine made that grinding sound when the original pads wore down to the bare metal, I put OEM (suzuki) pads on and started training myself to use both front and rear brakes every time I stop. They lasted less that 4000 miles, so I put on EBC pads FA106X (the red ones) and they have over 5000 miles on them now and seem to be holding up much better. I purchased a spare pair too. (see pic)

Look in the Technical Documents section for the instructions on changing the pads, on the first page titled "Front Brake Pads" by Greg_650, It's pretty easy to do. Good pictures in there. Note: don't break loose the banjo fitting if you can avoid it.

Maroon 96, HD turnout, Iridium, TKat brace, Big Crank, seat lift, Narva +50 w/ yellow filter in a XV920 9
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/26/07 at 10:39:19

A total brake fluid change so early would be going a bit overboard I would think, but, it wuldnt hurt a thing as long as you are up to the bleed job.
From what I could gather from your post, you believe front brake only is the safest way to stop. If so, I hope you do some homework in that area. A balanced use of fron & rear brake is (MY opinion based on what I have read AND discovered in my experience) the quickest most stable way to stop quickly. It requires a touch & the rear brake on the Suzuki will quickly lock up. I went into the raer brake & removed about 1/2 of the brake shoe contact surface, so the brake requires a lot more pedal input before it will lock up.
I expect those crummy stock brake pads are shot. IF there are light grooves in the rotor, you can get some sand paper & smooth them a bit or , MY choice is to stick some cheap pads on & ride, using the brake hard & allowong the pads to rub the rough stuff down & then, with the 8neven but smooth surface, I actually have an increased surface area for my pads to grab, ONLY after the pad is fully seated into the grooves. Then, after it is smoothed by the sacrificial pads, I put good ones on & be CAREFUL till the yave seated in the grroves. I sis this on cars many times & had brakes better than anyone in town. Raced & stopped & other guys couldnt get em shut down near as fast when it was time.. I know this works, BUT it is dangerous till they seat. Be careful iof you go this way.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/26/07 at 12:30:28

I know this does not address your problem but just a note -

agree with justin - should use back as well as front when stopping, even though the front is the real "stopper." one should use front & back together (don't know why but in real life it works out doing them both @ same time results in slight lead to front brake coimg on. depending on who you listen to it is a 70/30 or 60/40 front/back situation.

if something is worn out hope it is just pads, tammi - rotors aren't cheap (incidently - as you can see from bottom of my entry I use ebc pads & am happy with them. been led to understand are imporement over oem ones & cost less or @ least the same to boot. my local non dealer bike store had them in stock).

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 04/26/07 at 13:05:45

pop it apart and make sure the slide pins are lubed up and let it move free - wouldn't be suprised if one pad - the outside is worn down heavy on one end if these pins are binding

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #7 - 04/27/07 at 06:45:05

Thanks for all the advice, folks. Looks like I’ll be an EBC customer soon.

So, I’ve looked at my Clymer’s manual, and the photo tutorials posted in the Tech section by djpennin and Greg_650 (thanks, guys!). I think I can do a front brake pad replacement.

If I can find the pads today, I’ll do the swap this weekend. If I need to mail order, it’ll happen next weekend. Either way, I’ll provide an update here.

By the way, I DO use both brakes to control my speed and come to a stop. I only mentioned in my post that I stopped using my front brake for one evening, as I was a little self conscious about making bystanders cover their ears and wince with pain upon hearing me come to a grinding stop.

Using the rear brake only ... that’s the bad habit I mentioned in my post as what I wanted to avoid.

Cheers. Tammi

-- Green Day
=========
When Jesus said “Love your enemies” ... I’m pretty sure he meant not to kill them.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 04/27/07 at 09:18:05

Just did mine EBC "red".  Haven't back on the road yet, so can't tell you how they perform.

It's very easy to do.  Just break loose the 2 caliper bolts and the single allen head in the center before you disassmemble anything.  

The only advise I can give you over what anyone else has said is be very carefull when pushing back the piston.  Do not c0ck it to one side.  Push it back evenly and straight.  It will save you a lot of hassles if you do.  I've had to rebuild a few in the past and have seen where someone had appearently c0cked it and had put a mark in the piston.  This mark will be a leak.

My technique is to use a big flat bladed screwdriver in an unusual way.  I twist it.  Leave both pads in place, you'll need a chunk of metal as a spacer, I use the center of a large combo wrench.  Place the widest spot of the screwdriver in the center of the pad and on the wrench.  Then twist it, the cam action will push the piston back easily.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/27/07 at 11:56:25

can echo verslagen, tammi. I'm no mechanic but found changing pads to be an easy excersise - followed clymers & assistance obn this site & had a blast doing it! Smiley

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #10 - 04/27/07 at 18:44:22

c clamp on the pad works well for moving back pistons as well.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #11 - 05/04/07 at 06:11:51

Well, now I know why my front brakes were grinding:

Wow, about 20% of each pad was down to bare metal!

Those Suzuki pads in the above photo that I took off of my '05 bike last night lasted only 2,375 miles. I put on a pair of red EBCs, and I'm hoping they last much longer.

Well anyway, thanks for all the advice and for pointing me in the right direction.

Turns out that I did not need a C-clamp or a vice grip to push the piston back. Just my two thumbs and steady pressure did the trick. (I had removed the top plate of the brake fluid reservoir on the handlebars first.)

I was very nervous about twisting the caliper about, because several of you warned me not to pop the brake line banjo fitting. I didn't pop it, but it was always in the back of my mind.

Also, I was surprised that the anti-brake squeel spray I bought turned out to be very unlike grease. It was actually very sticky.

But it sure does work! No squeeling at all in my morning commute. But then I never really did clamp down on the front brakes, as I'm mindful of the break-in period.

Cheers. Tammi

-- Green Day
=========
  IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/04/07 at 06:24:14

WOW   Shocked  Those new pads aint gonna last long if you didnt replace the rotor....not only is the metal backing of the pad worn down, so is the thickness of your front brake rotor...VERY dangerous !

Please change your rotor, it's way cheaper than being thrown over the handlbars when you really dont want to.

IP Logged
Tammi

The Devil drives a
Buick.

In the spliff bunker
Reply #13 - 05/04/07 at 08:24:46

Your post worries me, of course. But I'm curious ... how can you tell the condition of my rotor?

Are you making an assumption about my rotor based on the photo of my old pads?

I did smooth out the rotor with some 600 grit sand paper.

My Clymer's manual noted that the rotor should be replaced if a fingernail lightly scraped across the rotor would catch on a ridge or gouge. I assure you that I did this test and passed it.

But I'd like to learn more from you.

Cheers. Tammi

-- Green Day
=========
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 05/04/07 at 09:07:24

you can mic it - do you have one handy?

normal looks to be .17-.19 service limit of .16

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 08:34:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front brake GRINDING!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.