YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Front brake GRINDING!
Reply #30 - 05/07/07 at 09:06:07

If you have a couple of ball bearings (new or very clean) you can make yourself a ball end mic out of your digital calliper.

Take one and tape it to the measuring side of the jaw, as far out as you can on the flat portion.

And tape the other on the other jaw directly opposite.

You can tape over the measuring side of the ball, but best not to for accuracy.

Close the jaws and zero the caliper for measuring the distance between the two.  For those with dials and verniers... you'll have to subtract this measurement from what you measure.

Now you'll be able to measure the thinner parts of the disk.  Of course you need a point mic to measure the depths of the grooves.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #31 - 05/07/07 at 10:12:39

I put 17K miles on my 96 (w/31+K total) with some pretty hard pads (the ones painted green - they still had a season to go) and measured my rotor when I put the red ones in last month. It was about the middle of the wear area, so I'd guess Tammi is going to be OK. I'm a big guy and the bike is set up like a bagger so is heavier, but I usually don't ride very aggresively and have to brake hard.

An idea for the measurement, any motorcycle shop or shop that does brake work will have the micrometer and should charge very litttle to measure the rotor for you. I think the unusual wear pattern could be caused by the forks not being parallel slightly, which also may have accounted for the original squeak. I'd loosen the bottom triple tree clamps bolts and the large top nut and cycle the forks a couple of times with the wheel straight ahead and then carefully tighten them with the wheel still straight. Have your apprentice sit on the bike and hold it upright while you do that.

While we are on brakes, I strongly recommend the stainless steel wrapped line after 3 years or so on the OE line or earlier if you want a more linear brake action, the wrap minimizes the line swell. Also don't forget to flush the fluid every 3 years to get the fluid that has absorbed moisture out. If you live/ride in high humidity areas then every 2 years.  Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 05/07/07 at 10:30:01

the (clymers) manual recommends replacing fluid every 4 years but wonder how many do it & don't see why not do it every 3 years (BMW say do it yearly on the R1100RT)? as far as steel braid line - can't say how it improved my brakes as diod it same time as went to ebc pads & put in new fluid so hard to quantify what did what.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #33 - 05/07/07 at 11:01:29

georgekathe wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
the (clymers) manual recommends replacing fluid every 4 years but wonder how many do it & don't see why not do it every 3 years (BMW say do it yearly on the R1100RT)? as far as steel braid line - can't say how it improved my brakes as diod it same time as went to ebc pads & put in new fluid so hard to quantify what did what.

I did the braided stainless line separately from the pads and I can say the brakes are noticeably more solid (less squishy).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #34 - 05/07/07 at 13:39:07

I could see replacing yearly now that I've done it.

Takes less than half of the small can.  And they recommend you don't keep an old can for very long.  So why not replace it.  The brown stuff I took out of mine convinced me.  Might change my mind though, now that I have steel lines.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #35 - 05/07/07 at 13:47:32

don't see replacing fluid as being something you need to  do Tammi by any means (somehow this thread veered off on it) but steel brake line is a good mod to consider for around $50. of course then @ same time you need to replace the fluid!

the tech section has piece on how to do former - help can be got on this site on how to do latter - I found it a 2 person job - me copntrollong bleed valve & keeping piece of tube in jar of fluid, friend squeezing brake lever.

IP Logged
Oldfeller2

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #36 - 05/07/07 at 17:59:33

Tammi,

Ride your bike and see how it feels.  

Your brake lever will most likely seem "squishy" at first because your new pads haven't seated to the rotor and you haven't gotten your anti-squeal stuff settled in yet, so don't get bummed out by that initial mushy feel to the lever.   That's kinda normal for new pads with anti-squeal compound on them.

Mine did that right at first too.  It will get better in a bit.

It will take 50 miles or so to get your full "firm" feel back when you hit the brakes hard.  That anti-squeal goop we put on the backs of our pads has got to settle in completely before it stops acting/feeling like mud in the works.

You aren't going to feel a "pulsing" unless your rotors are really screwed up and no, your rotor isn't going to blow up on you in any kind of normal use on a Savage.   We don't have the engine power and braking speed to drive a front brake/rotor explosion -- it just ain't there for a Savage.

Oldfeller

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 10:41:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Front brake GRINDING!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.