Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Complete (Read 5 times)
GoNavy
Ex Member

Complete
04/26/07 at 06:05:27

Hi, all.  Great site here and sounds like alot of good people.  About two years ago I bought a savage from  a friend.  I moved and lost touch with him and he never gave me a title.

I have just begun work on the bike and need to make it legal but can't find any info, ie VIN, Frame#, label plate etc...

I know that there are very few minor mods to the bike over the years.  I know it is pre 1995 because it is 4 speed and I think it is between 86-89, due to the nuetral light located where the left turn signal light is(assuming it is original tank/speedo)

Does anyone know of any of the other minor mods that I can look for to find out what year bike it is.  I need to start looking for some parts.

IP Logged
Five_Points

Columbus, OH
Re: What year bike do I have?
Reply #1 - 04/26/07 at 06:21:54

WWW   IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #2 - 04/26/07 at 08:29:32

Label plate is on the stem and has VIN. Stem is the tube the connects the upper and and lower fork trees. I'm sure there is a stamped in # somewhere also and I'll check the OE maual in the shop later. Good luck with the paperwork and have a great time 'scootin' , Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/26/07 at 21:59:19

Suzuki also stamps the year model on the wheel rims,
the color can also be an indicater.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
GoNavy
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/27/07 at 20:57:16

Thanks to all.  Good info.  Still looking though.  THe label plate is not there, or at least not where it should be.  I am going to remove the tank and fenders and see if I can find it under there.  I know this bike had some custom work done to it, maybe they just moved the plate or worse, removed it.

I will look for the frame number also.  Engine Serial is P401-11311.  Which from what I gather is first version of the four stroke, single cyl engine

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #5 - 04/27/07 at 21:11:17

If the plate isn't visible, you'll need the VIN off the steering head. It will be stamped (most likely) on the right hand side of the steering head as you are sitting on the bike. If both are missing, you will need to title/register it as a custom build with a state assigned identification plate.

Good luck and happy tinkering.
-WD
ex-SeaBee
Semi-retired custom builder

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
GoNavy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 06/13/07 at 12:07:53

Thanks again to all.  Got a hold of my friend and he got me the title.  It's and 87.

Funny thing is, I swear there is no VIN stamped anywhere on the bike.  but really doesn't matter now.

Now all I need to do is make it pretty and get rid of that stock exhaust and a few other parts here and there.  I am sure I will have more questions soon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 11:36:06

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Complete

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.