Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Smaller battery? (Read 14 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Smaller battery?
04/24/07 at 13:29:36

Hey gang,

Anyone know what the effect of replacing the savage battery with a smaller one?

Right now I'm running the big crank ETX15L w/ the following specs:

12 Volt
14 Ah @ 10hr rate
190 CCA

But I want to use a phsyically smaller battery.  It would of course have to be 12V, with a reasonable # of cold crank Amps (CCA).  Assuming my charging system is working properly (it is), what would happen if I replaced it w/ a battery w/ the following specs?

# 12 Volts
# CCA: 70
# 4 Amp Hour @10 hr rate

I don't think starting would be an issue (I think the starter motor draws about 30 Amps), except maybe in the winter...  but what about battery life?

These smaller batteries are about $30, so I may just buy one and try it out...

Thanks,

V

from wikipedia:

Ampere-hours (A·h) is the product of the time that a battery can deliver a certain amount of current (in hours) times that current (in amps), for a particular discharge period. This is one indication of the amount of total energy a battery is able to store and deliver at its rated voltage. This rating is rarely stated for automotive batteries.

Cold cranking amps (CCA) is the amount of current a battery can provide at 0 °F (−18 °C). The rating is defined as the amperage a lead-acid battery at that temperature can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12-volt battery). It is a more demanding test than those at higher temperatures.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Smaller battery?
Reply #1 - 04/24/07 at 14:47:05

Problem is the voltage can't drop too much. @12.26v she'll crank pretty good but the ign module doesn't fire correctly enough if at all to start reliable if at all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 08:25:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Smaller battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.