Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
front brakes squeaking..? (Read 159 times)
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Re: front brakes squeaking..?
Reply #15 - 04/25/07 at 03:43:54

Rear disc on KLX squeaks unless I use it like I mean it.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/25/07 at 04:15:13

Have you tried getting on a good road, no sand or anythng to make ya crash & reall bear down on the front brake a few times? My brake got better after I did that. I dont remember ever liking the stock brake, tho, it was after the ECB's went on that it got better, but it did take a few thousand miles before they got good enough that I wasnt cursing them. That, or my hand got stronger, & I am not saying that to be funny, It could be that my grip got better over that amount of time. The ECB's arent that expensive, i wish I had gone with the cerAMIC( iI think) you might talk to Reelthing, I think he has them & a drilled disk. The next upgrade is the stainless braided brake line. I will be going that route when the piston goes in..

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #17 - 04/26/07 at 01:44:11

I seem to remember from somewhere that EBC discs as well as pads take a while to run in.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 04/26/07 at 05:55:05

I've found good selection and prices for brake pads at http://www.i-bike.com/.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PA KID
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 04/26/07 at 06:27:56

I put on a set of EBC's on the front last year,only had factory
on about 7000 miles.Theres a lot less squeak an way better breakin.I use a lot less back brake for stops.I think i got them from Dennis Kirk or maybe Bikebandit.Anyway i'm very happy with EBC brakes Grin I did all the tricks,cleaned the sliders an put grease on um.Jacked up the bike a spun the wheel held a
file on the rotor to knock down any high spots than did the same with 100 grit sand paper.sprayed it all down with brake
klean.

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 04/26/07 at 13:01:47

as you can see from bottom of my message have ebc brakes & am happy with them. hard to quantify how much beeter than stock as replaced/bled brake fluid & put on steel brake line @  same time as I replaced them.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 04/26/07 at 13:47:21

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
yes? what?

I find that if I clean the disk when I wash the bike, it keeps the squeal to a minimum.  Haven't figured out how to clean the back yet.

Grin

Yes

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 07/23/11 at 05:52:38

Mine squealed , got replaced and still squeal... fuk it... just live with it, I guess.

IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #23 - 07/23/11 at 06:45:33

wvchoppers wrote on 04/24/07 at 03:12:46:
my front brakes squeak really bad for some reason...??? the bike is a 02, and only has 1,200 miles on it...surely the pads arent gone are they? Shocked   anyone else's front brakes squeak? is this a savage "trait" ???

dasch wrote on 07/23/11 at 05:52:38:
Mine squealed , got replaced and still squeal... f**k it... just live with it, I guess.

The squealing is from a resonance of high frequency vibrations in the pads/calipers when they contact the rotor.  Because of the job the disc brake has to do, this squeal is common, even though Suzuki engineers probably made a large effort to prevent it.

There are several things to try.  Replacing pads with a lot of material left on them is usually not a sensible option,… just a waste of money.

The idea is to change the resonance of the parts that vibrate, therefore pushing the resonance out of the range that tends to create a squeal.  Here are some ways:

-- Use the lube typically supplied with replacement pads.  This is a high-heat lube that goes between the pads and the piston that changes the resonance frequency.
 -- Sometimes the pads, or even the rotors, can acquire a glaze that tends to make a squeal.  Lightly scouring one or both surfaces can help here.  Use 400 grit sandpaper (wet), or rubbing compound, steel wool, chore girl, comet cleanser, etc.  You don’t want any scratches, just a satin finish.
 -- Chamfer the edges of the pads. This changes the angle between the edge of the pad and the rotor surface, which changes how the pad tries to "dig in" to the rotor.  This will change the resonance frequency one way or another.
 -- Clean the surfaces completely, then put a very thin layer of RTV on the back of the pad where it contacts the piston in the caliper.  Also put a very thin layer on the surface of the piston that contacts the pad.  By "very thin layer” I mean put a little on your finger, rub it on the surface and then wipe just about all of it off with a clean finger(s).  You don’t want any actual cushion here,…. that will make the brakes feel spongy.  You want only enough to change the resonance of these two mating surfaces,.. just residue, not an actual layer.
 -- I’ve never tried this last one, but the same guy I referred to that replaced his air filter with a screen got rid of a squeal by using the thin aluminum of a coke can (pretty tough stuff, actually), cutting out a piece shaped like the back of the disc brake pad, and inserting that piece between the pad and the piston.  Sounds goofy, but he did eliminate the squeal.

Good luck.  Keep us posted.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 07/23/11 at 07:49:48

1st try cleaning. Soap and water.
Then get get the squealer hot.
Should go away.

WWW   IP Logged
Gyrobob
Serious Thumper

Posers ain't
motorcyclists

Newnan, GA
Reply #25 - 07/23/11 at 07:57:53

verslagen1 wrote on 07/23/11 at 07:49:48:
1st try cleaning. Soap and water.
Then get get the squealer hot.
Should go away.

Verslagen1 knows of what he speaks.  I was sort of assuming that we were starting off with clean stuff.

If you think there's good in everyone, you haven't met everyone.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 07/23/11 at 12:21:19

Mine only squeal on snail speeds, and I mean, me pushing the bike into the garage. I mess with it sometimes just for fun, hit the brake lightly and watch the whole front end turn into a trumpet, whoooooooooooaaaaaoooo. No, I will spend no time fixing it, but I'd follow posted advices if I was bothered with it.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 07/23/11 at 15:54:28

EBC's are good, didn't like the soft braking, but not cheap
been getting X brand, cheap, good as stock braking and no squeal.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #28 - 07/23/11 at 22:10:10

verslagen1 wrote on 07/23/11 at 15:54:28:
EBC's are good, didn't like the soft braking, but not cheap
been getting X brand, cheap, good as stock braking and no squeal.

I got the same ones. I confirm what you just said.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/28/24 at 02:28:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › front brakes squeaking..?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.