Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tuning and mod questions (Read 2 times)
bavila
Ex Member

tuning and mod questions
04/23/07 at 14:12:59

I have been searching and reading alot through the forums and I don't understand a couple of things and maybe some one can shed some light.  I have an 1985 ls 650

I don't understand the white spacer mod.  Is it in the carb already or what do I have to do to do it?  What does it actually do.

I was reading the carb tuning by lancer and I don't know what it is talking about.  I can't have the bike running and turn any screws or anything but the idle screw.

Please help.

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Re: tuning and mod questions
Reply #1 - 04/23/07 at 14:30:47

This carb doesn't really need the spacer mod since it already has a 155 main jet.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/23/07 at 14:40:24

The white spacer is inside, under the top cover, down in the bottom of the tube the diaphragm is on. By making it 1/2 as thick as it is you affect how high the needle sits with respect to the main jet & richens the mixture. Now, understand, I am no expert & have slept since i did this. Someone who has a better memory & more experience may see what I just said & laugh at me. I am sure about where it is, but the theory of why it needs trimmed may be all fuzzy by now. Someone will confirm or deny what I said.. surely. The pilot screw is hidden behind a small brass cap on the right side of the carb, if you sit on the bike, your right leg will be next to it. There is a tiny hole in the cap already I think, if not, it's still easy to find. Look at the rubber flange that holds the carb to the engine. The top of the carb where it enters that flange has a brass cap in about a 1/4" hole. With a drill bit that I had wrapped a bit of tape around so it didnt go too far in & mess up the head of the adjusting screw, I gently drilled a hole & then ran a sheetmetal screw in & pulled the cap with pliers on the screw. The main jet is in the bottom of the carb & is easy to change.The pilot doesnt always need changed & thats good cuz it can sometimes be stuck, Are you planning on changing the exhaust? I have no idea what the stock jets are for your year model, some of the older bikes werent set up so lean,, maybe you dont have a lot of work to do,,

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 04/23/07 at 14:52:13

The white spacer we sand down to 1/2 or less thickness shouldn't be done on your '85 as it likely has a 3 grove needle with the c-ring in the center grove - if you want it richer just move the c-ring down and lifts the needle the same as we do by sanding the spacer in half.

as well as the jet sizes we are using apply to US model bikes that have a 145 mainjet 1995 and up

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 04/23/07 at 14:59:39

here's a higher res of the assembly - in refference #6 changed from your orignal model that had the 3 groves on the needle - new ones only have 1 - so we sand down the spacer above it #4

http://suzukisavage.com/images/uploaded/Mikuni_101web.jpg

By the way Greg/Lancer - if and when you read this - do you have any idea what changed with the throttle plate between old and new bikes? I do not have an '85-87 carb to look over.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 04/23/07 at 20:55:19

I do not know.  I have not had an old model to play with yet.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 04/24/07 at 06:15:18

bavila wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I have an 1985 ls 650

I thought the first LS650 was the 1986 model.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
allan
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/24/07 at 12:51:52

Savage -rob in the uk a few bikes were registered in 85 but were actually 86 models,
as at this time our registration ran from august to july so if you bought your bike in july 86 it would have been registered in 85, most were dealer demo's,

but I dont know if we are talking about a uk bike so this may not help.

allan.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:27:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › tuning and mod questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.