Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Paint question (Read 7 times)
Doc_Holliday
Ex Member

Paint question
04/22/07 at 21:33:45

Hey guys how much do you think it would cost to get a good paint job on a savage. Theres not much area to cover, but painting is expensive, would like to have some input from those who know something about painting(i dont). My savage is currently a green 2000 paints in good shape but id love to have a more standout color, with maybe some metal flake and a good clearcoat. Thanks! -DOC

IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Re: Paint question
Reply #1 - 04/22/07 at 21:54:30

Won't guess at painting costs but I just had my 2k fenders, side pieces, five gallon Harley tank and an aux tank that's on the back powder coated for $250. And they had to put in a bunch of extra time and effort trying to cover my less than stellar attempt at filling the left hole on top of the hawg tank. Tons of eye catching colors available or you can get colors made to order for extra cost. Mine is a stock yellow they had on hand that's a little less orange than the original 2k yellow(ish). Don't know about glitter, but I think there's a way to do it using a second clear powder coating with the materials in it. It's one way to go. If it's strong enough for filing cabinets it's probably good enough for me.

Jack

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/23/07 at 09:32:30

Naturally, the type & quality of the paint will affect the cost, as will wheteher or not you haul the parts in or ride the bike in & ask them to paint it. If you take clean parts in & there aren't dents to fix, that's gotta be a lot cheaper than asking them to pull the tank & fenders & side covers. The other side of that coin is, YOU have to instal the freshly painted parts, so if YOU scrape them up transporting or installing,, well,, you know. I like the idea of powder coating stuff. The durability is a big attraction for me. If flashy is the goal, tho, paint is probably the direction, but, like the last guy said. might get some metal flake with clear over the powder. Have ya called any body shops? Bike shops? The Yamaha shop said if I bought a new bike & didnt like the color, they could have a guy( local) paint it for $600.00. That would be a delivered bike, he tears it apart or masks it off. I wouldnt like the masking it off aproach. One nice thing about these Zukis, they are still metal!

IP Logged
ladyonasavage
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 04/23/07 at 20:32:38

There is a guy here in Michigan that would do a nice job for about $350.  I found him on Craigs list.  You could look at sites like that to find someone.  He is local, so I went to look at his work, does a great job.  His price included hand pinstriping and decals.  There has to be someone in your area that does painting reasonably.
Good luck.

IP Logged
bavila
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 04/23/07 at 23:38:05

I guess it really matters what you want to do.  I would paint my own bike and save my money.  You have to make sure that you do it right and take your time though.  Sand it all down, fix any dings, prime it, put a base coat, top coat and a couple coats of clear.  Make sure you use an air brush and practice on some scrap metal.   I am going re-paint my bike pearl white.

IP Logged
Darren_G
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 04/24/07 at 04:21:57

I have some good paint tips about House of Kolor metallics, candies, airbrushing & buffing finishes that made my Savage shine. I will post the next time I'm online. gotta go now...

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 20:17:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Paint question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.