Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Problems (Read 1 times)
rich1959
Ex Member

First Problems
04/22/07 at 15:41:08

Hello,

I have an 05 S40 with 6400 miles, I have put about 3000 since purchasing last September. I started out today, just briefly with the choke out (it was almost 80 degrees). Within a mile when opening it up in 3rd it began to stumble and lose power when entering onramp of highway, and then had trouble starting it. After pushing it back up the ramp, I was able to start the bike and then headed toward home in which the same stumbing and stalling occurred at around 35 MPH. I then repeated the process until getting the bike home. I have been riding the bike all winter, so its not like it has been sitting idle (1 week in this case). Any ideas, as sad to say I am not up to speed on the Savage mechanically yet.

Rich

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: First Problems
Reply #1 - 04/22/07 at 15:56:44

Yes, run your petc0ck in the PRI position thru the same type of test and report back...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #2 - 04/22/07 at 15:59:34

The vacuum diaphram in the petc0ck is "sensative" to vacuum problems.  You could just perform the petc0ck conversion posted in the tech section and be done with it, but if it runs fine on PRI, you'll know the diaphram/vacuum lines are the culprit.

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #3 - 04/22/07 at 16:01:12

Oh, and check the fuel level.  With the screen in the tank, you can run out of gas with an inch of gas in the bottom of the tank.  I took mine out and installed an inline fuel filter.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 04/22/07 at 18:56:07

The gas cap has a vent in it that can get plugged up. Try taking it apart and cleaning it, it might help, can't hurt.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 04/23/07 at 11:08:08

Could also be bad gas (i.e. water in it) or even a loose sidestand interlock.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #6 - 04/23/07 at 11:41:53

You don't mention changing the petc0ck positions during your restarting....but since you have 3400 on it yourself and rode all winter, I will assume things like:

Choke was off.
You had sufficient gas.
Petc0ck was in the correct position.

Correct so far?

Have you done anything to the bike lately?  Any tinkering at all?

IP Logged
K1200LTryder
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 04/23/07 at 11:50:19

Might be an early failure of the timing chain tensioner, it sounds like it runs the same way mine did. It still ran (barely) when I trucked it home. Luckily the tensioner plunger was still hung in the tensioner body, but the spring had popped out.

If your gas is good to go, but a sudden power loss appears, I think it might be mechanically related.

Does the power loss seem consistant ???

IP Logged
mornhm - FSO
Serious Thumper

HMMM

Reply #8 - 04/23/07 at 12:34:10

While all of these are good suggestions, you might want to start with the simplest things first (filler up). Make sure the enrichener (choke) is off and correctly adjusted when the engine is warmed up. Then try with the petcock in pri position. etc. etc. Also anything you have done recently that might have knocked a wire or hose loose would be good areas for a visual/tactile inspection.

It's not real clear that you put the "choke" back in after starting before this problem occurred. This engine will die in warm weather if the "choke" is out.

Another way of putting this is that you won't fix an out of fuel condition by tearing apart the engine.

IP Logged
rich1959
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 04/23/07 at 15:56:36

Thanks all for the input,

I did a quick going over this morning in daylight checking for loose hoses, and found the vacuum line was loose, reinstalled and all works fine.

Rich

IP Logged
georgekathe
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 04/23/07 at 21:03:10

a happy (& simple) ending - glad to hear it rich! Grin

incidently - do you have any little clamps holding both ends of the vac hose in place? mine came with little wire ones with a circle @ each end. I've read somehwere that there are better ones to hold the hose on but these ones a) are better than nothing b) work for me

IP Logged
rich1959
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/24/07 at 17:09:49

Yes, mine has clamps at the top and bottom, looks like top end popped off and slipped down, will keep checking to see it doesnt repeat.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 12:30:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.