Send Topic Print
any suggestions? (Read 7 times)
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Re: any suggestions?
Reply #15 - 04/22/07 at 08:16:47

Quote:
It won't until you dirty your plug and fill the head with carbon.

Agreed!  There, we're in violent agreement.  Grin

My question is, how did the first generation of Savages get by with a 155 main jet?  Did they have the same carbon and fouling problems?

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 04/22/07 at 09:06:46

I have stock muffler, 145 jet, no soot, last check of the spark plug was tan and white insulator, black on the inside and bottom.  No starting issue except on real cold mornings (CA how cold can that be?) and I think that was the battery as I replaced battery and don't have issue anymore.  50+mpg.

My complaint? slow idle in the morn, fast idle in the evening.  1200 vs 1500.

Mornings are start with choke, choke in one click and idle for awhile.  If its idling slow, adjust.  Drive a mile and push choke in.  Stop get gas restart check idle speed.

Evenings I don't need any choke.  But need to idle down.  Especially on a hot afternoon.   Grin

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 04/22/07 at 09:45:14

I went to the 155 from a 150 not cuz I figured it needed it, but cuz when I got the jets, 150, 155 & 157.5, they didnt have a 152.5. I am kinda thinkin thats the next step, plug was a bit sooty on the edge & a bit darker than I (think) I want it on the ceramic. I dont see me needing the 157.5 while it has the stock piston in it. You spose with a single wall headr & fatter piston along with this lumpier cam it's gonna need a 157.5? Heck, no matter. I will trade the shop the 150 for the 152.5 & keep the bigger ones in the toolbox till the mods are all finished. Hmm, sounds like I am gonna have em a long time..

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #18 - 04/22/07 at 11:19:44

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Agreed!  There, we're in violent agreement.  Grin

My question is, how did the first generation of Savages get by with a 155 main jet?  Did they have the same carbon and fouling problems?

I'm not sure...I don't know what the inner working of the exhaust might have been like.  Has anyone measured one?  I've got the numbers for a '00.

BUT (and I feel this is a very big point)...if you look at the specs for the '86 - '88 carb,  EVERYTHING was different.  From the LARGER throttle valve to BOTH of the pilot air jets.  Even the jet needle had a different taper.  It might have said BS40 on the outside, but the insides were really different.

So, with that in mind, why would anyone think that changing one jet on a later model would make them equal?

For a comparison, there is a jetting list in the Tech section.  I put it there a couple years ago.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #19 - 04/22/07 at 12:44:38

I didn't realize the two generations of carbs were so different.  I guess assuming the two SHOULD have the same size main jet really does assume way too much...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 04/22/07 at 13:21:30

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I didn't realize the two generations of carbs were so different.  I guess assuming the two SHOULD have the same size main jet really does assume way too much...

That's all I try to get people to realize.

And it would be interesting if anyone has a stock '86 muffler, and see what size "orifices" it has...

The stock '01 muffler outlet is .800" or 20.32 mm Smiley

IP Logged
tuxedo

medium pimpin.

Hot Springs, AR
Reply #21 - 04/22/07 at 13:34:25

I have a bone stock 86 carb on my bike with a Cherry Bomb glass pack muffler.  I'm having to search around for a smaller main jet because I'm freaking tired of cleaning plugs.  I'm really good at changing them now, though.

The 155 main in that BS40, even with a freer exhaust, is still running rich.  I've taken the airbox door off in an attempt to get it to lean up, to no avail.  

I totally agree with Greg on this.  Running rich is only occasionally OK(like right before you change the air filter).  Running right is best.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

86 Savage
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #22 - 04/22/07 at 13:51:05

When changing stuff around that may require a jetting change I work my way one jet size at a time, checking throttle response in the appropriate ranges and then checking the plug and muffler.  I try to do 3 or 4 test runs before making one jet change to be sure...time allowing.
For the main jet, WOT in 3rd or 4th gear will tell you if it is too rich by bogging down.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 04/22/07 at 14:10:16

By boggong down at what speed? 30 & then ram the throttle to it? Those of us,, well, ME,I need specifics, cuz I am really not a good tuner. I can put something together & get 80% of the output available. Others can wring the thing out & make it put out all there is, I am just not that good a mechanic, tho I am really trying to learn.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:11:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › any suggestions?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.