Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
larger gas tank on savage (Read 120 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: larger gas tank on savage
Reply #15 - 04/29/07 at 09:41:17

I have been looking for a tank in the 4-5 gal range for quite some time, but this one just got me with the LOOK of it.
I still have the foam tank I was carving on last year which I would like to try as well.  The big thing is the time I have to devote to bike stuff, which is very short right now.
I liked this tank so much that I went ahead and got it in spite of the size.  We shall see how it all looks when I mock it back up.

IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #16 - 04/29/07 at 19:52:52

If that doesn't get ya noticed. I like it. I agree with "The Look" appeal. If I had time and tools I'd be right with you. I started thinking about the new gauge panel as I was reading the rest of the thread. A real "I want to do something with that" attraction.

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #17 - 04/30/07 at 04:49:01

I am anxious to have it in my hands, and get the real look of it all, set it on the frame, etc.
I had an older, but never used, Corbin seat made for a mid 80's Honda 500 something that I was going to use on the bike but I am about ready to switch and use a single seat with sprins...more toward the bobber style to go with the look of this tank and the little fiberglass fender I have for the rear.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 04/30/07 at 04:52:28

I'm not ready to tackle speedo and instrument cluster relocation, so I'll stick with my tiny tank and maybe get a TourTank.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jack_650

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Minnesota
Reply #19 - 04/30/07 at 09:43:19

Rob, it is pretty easy to move the speedo and lights with the black plastic do-hickie around it to the bars. Now that I know where/what to get for the needed longer speedo cable the biggest hurdle is now just a speed bump. And you have a choice of colors for the case for it 'cause there's so many colors of paint that will stick to PVC. Don't know if you've seen the pix of my bike with the five gallon tank on it, but I think my speedo looks pretty good up there. And the much bigger tank makes looking for the best priced (or available at 2:00 a.m.) gas much easier.

Jack

IP Logged
Savage Librarian
Serious Thumper

One Hoopy Frood

Houston area
Reply #20 - 05/03/07 at 20:03:51

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
How big is the gz250 tank?

I don't think we ever answered.

It's 3.7 gallons, 3.4 with the CA version.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, used-up, worn out, and defiantly shouting 'Geronimo!!!'
xargonthegreat GuitarLOTR   IP Logged
Fido_the_Cat

" If you don't
ask, They can't say
no!"

Harrisburg PA
Reply #21 - 05/05/07 at 21:19:41

I agree. A bobber is a very suitable frame style for that tank. Looking forward to Maiden Flight!
BTW... Shouldn't it have a shark mouth or calender girl?

Follow me into the twisties.... I'll wait for you on the other side.
  IP Logged
chuck
YaBB Newbies

What's this? Eh?

Oceanside, CA
Reply #22 - 05/06/07 at 09:23:42

Lancer, that *is* a cool tank. I've been looking for a replacement tank too--I'm going for more of a cafe-racer look than a bobber, but that's just my own preference for style. I hope you'll let us know how easy (or not) that tank is to put on your own bike.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #23 - 05/06/07 at 14:12:17

I have cut the old tank mounts off, along with some of the other little things on the frame that I will not need.
This has been a long process of rebuilding it, with all the personal stuff along the way.  The more I do the more little details that spring up that need to be done.

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #24 - 05/06/07 at 22:11:17

Good luck mounting that peanut tank up. The tab spacing is likely to be a good bit longer than the frame backbone. I know modern (Evo) Sportster tanks are a good bit too long, do are early parallel twin (Triumph/BSA/Honda) custom tanks. Believe me , I tried every tank I could find, wound up with a junkyard find 1950s HD CL series dirt bike tank. Capacity unknown, nor do I care, it looks neat and I don't go very far anymore.

My "new" tank:

Installed:

You can't go wrong with Paughco tanks. Fairly well made, hundreds of sizes and styles.

I have a Paughco 4.75 gallon Mustang tank for FXRs at my father in law's place in TN. As I recall, it basically fits. Need to get him to send it out here. Pokey makes a good test mule if nothing else...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 05/07/07 at 05:44:24

Once I have the tank in my hands and can play with it, & if per chance I decide it is not going to make the cut then my backup will come from Jireh Cycles.  They have a few 4.5-5 gal models in the $99 price range which will be made to work.  They are just basic tanks, basic shape, basic mounts, basically basic.   Roll Eyes

I also still have the foam tank I started carving last year, which is turning into a VERY LONG TERM PROJECT.  Not that I have trouble finishing things I start, but there are times when I have trouble finishing things I start.

Yep.   Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 05/07/07 at 13:43:05

I just got the tank and it has a serious gouge in the side which will require sending it back for a replacement.

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry

IP Logged
glwharton
YaBB Newbies

I love My Suzie

Athens, Ohio
Reply #27 - 05/16/07 at 22:40:28

I've read your post about bigger gas tank on Savage. Just wanting to know if the Paughco tank is a good fit and how much did you pay for it. I have an LS650

Thanks,

Gary

wndshld,Grips and Rests,Gel Seat,Sissy Bar,Baron Tach,Hghwy Bar,HD Headlight,Saddlebags,HL and BL modulators,Clock,Super Brace,Buckhorn Handlebars,Carb upgrade,Screamin' Eagle muff,signal minder
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #28 - 05/17/07 at 06:26:18

glwharton wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
I've read your post about bigger gas tank on Savage. Just wanting to know if the Paughco tank is a good fit and how much did you pay for it. I have an LS650

Thanks,

Gary

This tank is only slightly larger than the stock tank.  I got in from American Classic Motors, ieglerville, PA, on their ebay store.  They advertise it for $129.95 + $24.95 shp.
They have a similar sized/shape tank but without the "out-dent" for about $79.

They way this tank mounts (front and rear tabs) and the size of the tunnel, it will require some cutting and welding on the Savage frame backbone in order to fit it well.  Otherwise, the back end of the tank sits on top of the double frame tubes.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 14:20:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › larger gas tank on savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.