Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
plug cap repair failure. (Read 11 times)
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Re: plug cap repair failure.
Reply #15 - 04/21/07 at 17:57:57

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I did my plug cap a few weeks ago and the plug looked just like greg's pic. The older version has a deep well in it that will fill with oil.

here is the part number at Ron ayers I used, 11145-41B01.
I think that the one you used might be the old one, Not sure.

my part number was 11145-37401 got it from ron ayers.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #16 - 04/21/07 at 17:59:10

franch wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
does it really matter if you use old or new ?
my thinking was that the permatex dried up or wasn't applied properly on the old ones from the factory.

I suspect it was something I did. I will change it again at the end of May. Till then I ride.

No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #17 - 04/21/07 at 19:23:51

After doing mine a couple years ago I ended up with a slight weep on the cover and at 2 of the copper washered bolts. This winter I fixed that by reaplcaing the pear shaped o-ring, all new style copper/bonded rubber washers under the required bolts and a newer sealant on the head cover. I had used some old red stuff that I had and it may have not bee good still. It was the kind the dry in the absence of air, not in the air like RTV. Used grey motosealer this time and so far no evidence of oil. I put a big of RTV sealer on top of the plug the first time and just added a mittle dab this time to keep it pressed down where it is supposed to. On my B-i-L's 88 I could watch the plug jump up and down at idle, but at cruise it was held down by the crankcase pressure. Thats why they leak more in town and stop and start than on the road. My leaks at the pressure points was worse at cuise. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #18 - 04/21/07 at 20:11:06

Thats intresting. The leak is at low speeds but blown out at high speeds. I will tear the top end down and find out in a few weeks.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #19 - 04/21/07 at 20:26:11

There are still quite a few 'old style' plugs out there. I used that style when i did mine. The one from the factory had no sealant. The same one I used for replacement(new) has not leaked in 10K. I did use sealant.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #20 - 04/21/07 at 20:46:34

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Mine started leaking at 2000 miles on the OD, has been steady since.  Doesn't loose enough to make a difference in the crankcase level, so I'm not going to mess with it......brings back memories of some of my first cycles Grin

Oh, and a Briggs and Stratton mini-bike, too!

Yeah, as a teenager (in those days) that was freedom.  Even if you were just riding a lawnmower around the neighborhood.  It was cool 8)

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 04/21/07 at 20:48:20

verslagen1 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
My new one looks just like greg's too.  So did the old one and it did have black rtv all about it.  and since it was leaking, that's not the stuff to use.   Grin

The newer ones are more solid.  The old ones were like a cup.  I guess they weren't quite as good.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #22 - 04/21/07 at 20:50:46

Brewbrother wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Thats intresting. The leak is at low speeds but blown out at high speeds. I will tear the top end down and find out in a few weeks.

Well, see, in that case I gotta wonder about crankcase pressure.  The crankcase pressure really should be about neutral and shouldn't be blowing anything out.  That's what the breather hose is for.....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #23 - 04/21/07 at 20:53:40

clueless wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
There are still quite a few 'old style' plugs out there. I used that style when i did mine. The one from the factory had no sealant. The same one I used for replacement(new) has not leaked in 10K. I did use sealant.

That's why I posted the photo.  My original one was the "old style"...and when I got the replacement, I thought WTF.  It was different.  It was the newer design.

I just wondered if he got one of the old ones off the shelf....

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #24 - 04/21/07 at 21:02:02

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
After doing mine a couple years ago I ended up with a slight weep on the cover and at 2 of the copper washered bolts. This winter I fixed that by reaplcaing the pear shaped o-ring, all new style copper/bonded rubber washers under the required bolts and a newer sealant on the head cover. I had used some old red stuff that I had and it may have not bee good still. It was the kind the dry in the absence of air, not in the air like RTV. Used grey motosealer this time and so far no evidence of oil. I put a big of RTV sealer on top of the plug the first time and just added a mittle dab this time to keep it pressed down where it is supposed to. On my B-i-L's 88 I could watch the plug jump up and down at idle, but at cruise it was held down by the crankcase pressure. Thats why they leak more in town and stop and start than on the road. My leaks at the pressure points was worse at cuise. Max

I found that you really should pay attention to those copper washers.  They are meant to get "seated" when they are torqued (with oil on the threads).  You should get new ones or do as I do...take a flat file to them and smooth them out before retorquing them....oh, and clean off the dirt on the surface too.

About the crankcase pressure...why?  I'm not doubting your observations, but...How can it be held down by a fluctuating crankcase pressure?  It should never be positive or negative.  Just neutral.  Is there a problem with the breather?

IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #25 - 04/21/07 at 21:42:23

B-i-L's 87/88 has an aftermarket carb and had the breater tube plugged until we put a crankcase filter on it. It would stay seated at mid RPM sitting still on the lift. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #26 - 04/22/07 at 07:03:43

Max_Morley wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
B-i-L's 87/88 has an aftermarket carb and had the breater tube plugged until we put a crankcase filter on it. It would stay seated at mid RPM sitting still on the lift. Max

Well, personally, when you consider engine heating, piston movement, and blow-by at the piston rings I would never ever plug a crankcase breather line.  

That sounds like engine leaks just waiting to happen...and other stuff too.  Good he got the filter.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 06:22:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › plug cap repair failure.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.