Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
head pipe reducer ring removal (Read 19 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
head pipe reducer ring removal
04/21/07 at 12:46:05

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Greg made a statement on this thread that the head pipe had a reducer ring. Soooo I had the exhaust off today and decided to take it out. I have to say it is a pain to get it out. Also, the inner pipe of the bouble wall reduces down a bit just after the ring, so it doesn't open up as much as it could if the pipe were straight. I don't have a micrometer for deep in pipes, but as far as I could tell it is about 1.375", an 1/8" less than the raask but about an1/8" bigger than stock. If there wasn't the inner reduction then it would be 1.5" ish.

With all of that said, I took it out and subjectively speaking it made a fair bit improvement in the how the bike pulls. Mind you I have a the chain conversion with a 2.50 ratio, so i can feel if i gain or lose power, by how much it dogs. It might not be as noticeable with stock configuration.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: head pipe reducer ring removal
Reply #1 - 04/21/07 at 13:27:20

tbalam wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

Greg made a statement on this thread that the head pipe had a reducer ring. Soooo I had the exhaust off today and decided to take it out. I have to say it is a pain to get it out. Also, the inner pipe of the bouble wall reduces down a bit just after the ring, so it doesn't open up as much as it could if the pipe were straight. I don't have a micrometer for deep in pipes, but as far as I could tell it is about 1.375", an 1/8" less than the raask but about an1/8" bigger than stock. If there wasn't the inner reduction then it would be 1.5" ish.

With all of that said, I took it out and subjectively speaking it made a fair bit improvement in the how the bike pulls. Mind you I have a the chain conversion with a 2.50 ratio, so i can feel if i gain or lose power, by how much it dogs. It might not be as noticeable with stock configuration.

Man, I am proud of you!!!  I wondered if someone would take that and run with it.

I had thought about cutting it out of the stock header but I  had someone that "said" they wanted to buy it.

Anyway, you just increased your exhaust output...and still have the double wall so it won't turn blue.

Why don't you explain how you did it, and claim title to your first original performance mod...Tongue

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/21/07 at 14:07:14

Yea, T, splain what ya did. I am getting good at snapping the header off. I think I may be running a tad rich at 155 in the main jet slot, so if I can run a bit more air thru, maybe it will be Juuust right.

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #3 - 04/21/07 at 15:16:35

Ok here we go.

I don't have access to a dremel, would have been way easier if I did.  I used a 3" cut off wheel on my cordless drill. It took a lot of recharges, thank god for two batteries.

First, I took a hacksaw blade with one of those small handles, and cut the reducer ring.
I cut down the cutoff wheel, using a pair of wire cutters to a little over an 1.5", so that it would just pass through the opening. I used a socket that fit through the exhaust opening to find the right size then trimmed the wheel to fit the OD of the socket. On high speed I ran the cutoff wheel around on the inside grinding off a layer metal. I rotated the drill to changed the angle of the grinding wheel continuously, while grinding. Similar to what you do with a drill bit to enlarge a hole. It works very smoothly due to the shape of the inside of the pipe. After 4 wheels I started to see the weld line. Once I had the line about an inch long, I took a hammer and old screw driver and broke it loose, along the afore mention hacksaw cut. I continued grinding and breaking it loose as I went. After I saw the first weldline  it took about an hour, again with proper tools one could do this in significantly less time.

The nice thing about the cuttoff wheel is that it gave a nice smooth finish and shape to the inside of the header pipe after it was done. Removed all the burrs and such. For whatever reason the reducer ring has a ridge in it that extends the length of the ring. See Greg's post at the above link he mentions a little knob weld on the side.

When in doubt cut the reducer ring farther inside so that you don't cut the double wall, you can always shape it afterwards.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #4 - 04/21/07 at 15:21:01

I too am running a 155 and thought is was a tad rich, seems to be better now, but I havn't ridden it a ton to know.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #5 - 04/21/07 at 15:21:41

That's great....this is a first and a second...

Don't believe that I ever heard of anyone using a hacksaw blade to cut a cutoff wheel.

Once again.  Salute!
8)

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #6 - 04/21/07 at 15:24:50

Savage_Greg wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
That's great....this is a first and a second...

Don't believe that I ever heard of anyone using a hacksaw blade to cut a cutoff wheel.

Once again.  Salute!
8)

sorry wasn't clear about that I used a pair of wire cutters, just nipped a little off at a time. I'll edit the above post.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #7 - 04/21/07 at 15:28:43

sorry wasn't clear about that I used a pair of wire cutters, just nipped a little off at a time. I'll edit the above post.

Naw...leave it.  The clarification makes it even better.

Wire cutters to cut a cutoff wheel....

If you have any of that wheel left, it just might fit in your intake port too Cheesy

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #8 - 04/21/07 at 15:35:02

So, did removing the reducer DECREASE low-end grunt as we postulated it would?  I would expect it to increase high RPM HP...

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #9 - 04/21/07 at 15:36:57

I only noticed an improvement throughout, but it is all subjective, and might be because I WANTED to feel a difference.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #10 - 04/21/07 at 16:09:31

tbalam, with your higher gear ratio, I'd expect you'd notice more than anyone...if you perceive an improvement in 5th at, say, 55 mph...I'd say that's good enough for me Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 04/21/07 at 17:30:20

I keep making changes & afterwards I realize I hadnt actualy timed the thing so I could measure the change, good or bad. & I too realize I WANT to see a positive change, so may well be in the process of giving myself colo-rectal cancer, by blowing smoke up my own Bu##.. Are my eyes a smoky color yet? I guess if cutting it out is a mistake we can stick it back in. I know a good welder. Maybe, if I mess up the stock header, it would be a good time to get a single walled one & go play.. just sayin, maybe,

Congratulations Tbalam, Ther have been some serious new groundbreaking mods recently, mighty cool..

IP Logged
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Reply #12 - 04/21/07 at 18:06:49

I just took it for a longer ride 50 miles or so, and i definately notice a difference at 3500 or so rpm. it'll also put the cheeks a bit farther in the seat. i definatly notice it on take off and when accelerating at speed.

i dont know that i can go any faster, but i can get it there faster. just what i like.

Justin, i think this is a fairly innocuous mod. i dont think it will hurt performance in any way, and at worst wont do anything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 04/21/07 at 20:53:07

wellthenImgonnadoit! Might do it tomorrow,,

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #14 - 04/21/07 at 21:11:29

I just took it for a longer ride 50 miles or so, and i definately notice a difference at 3500 or so rpm. it'll also put the cheeks a bit farther in the seat. i definatly notice it on take off and when accelerating at speed.

i dont know that i can go any faster, but i can get it there faster. just what i like.

Justin, i think this is a fairly innocuous mod. i dont think it will hurt performance in any way, and at worst wont do anything.

Exactly what the Raask (with the larger ID) does.  I didn't gain much at the bottom, but at mid range the engine just seems to start breathing better all the way up.  It sounds happier Smiley

The comparison I have is with my spouse and her Trapp in a straight line.  Hers has really good grunt at the bottom and will leap ahead, but once mine gets to 3500 or so, it's all good.  I will pass her every time Tongue

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › head pipe reducer ring removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.