Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
head pipe reducer ring removal (Read 19 times)
tbalam

I like my kids, but
I love my bike ;)

Fac o' the Sn
Re: head pipe reducer ring removal
Reply #15 - 04/22/07 at 14:48:52

sounds about right, makes the chain conversion even that much more fun. In a perfect world I'd like to get back to the grunt that I had with the belt drive and still keep the "extra gear" I get with the chain conversion. I am getting closer. All these little things add up.

1996 Mirage paint, seat lift, 2 #4 washers, 155 main, 52.5 pilot. Removed pillon, belt guard, rear blinker mod, moved battery box. K&N cone, Chain conversion 17/43 (in process). Cam tensioner mod.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 04/22/07 at 20:23:41

Well, I DO have aDremel ( like) tool, I have a air powered die grinder, rotary burs ( files), Good lighting, & I'll tell ya Balam, you have my respect! This is Tuff, I have wiped out a sack full of little cut off disks for the Dremel & I am nearly done, One broke & slapped me in the corner of my left eye, went in the bathroom & dragged a chunk of it out, still kinda smarts. I have no idea how it got past my glasses, but it got by & it was whistling. I dont see me getting rid of all of that reverse cone. I wont get it all the way back to the ring that crushes the header squish gasket. I'll get pretty close, closer than the  ID of the inner header wall, for sure.. sure hope this is worth the effort.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 04/22/07 at 21:19:13

The fiber reinforced ones or the little brittle brown ones - these seem to cut better but they will come apart and stick in walls of the garage

IP Logged
justin_o_guy
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 04/23/07 at 04:22:01

The brittle ones, heck, if ya bump it with a funger it folds over, 1/40th of an inch thick,, OWELL<, that's NOT the bad news, the bad news IS, I parted the inner wall from the outter wall. NOw, I take it to a welder or buy a single walled header the Trapp will go on.. OOOman, I feel like a pro level Doofus. As amazing as it may seem,, I didnt even get mad, I just looked at it & said Ugghhh! Bummer! & went & took a shower. I planted stuff in the garden & did that on the header & by the time I was done messing that up I was so tired I dindt have steam enough to get mad.. That, & well, I am sure you have all heard the "Little voice" before. Well, Mine was telling me this was gonna be a bad idea, but I had already started so I decided to see it thru,, ( Game show buzzer sound here) , Bad idea...

The eyeball is fine this morning. My butt is a bit chapped over messing that header up,

Suggestions anyone?

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #19 - 04/23/07 at 05:14:51

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
The fiber reinforced ones or the little brittle brown ones - these seem to cut better but they will come apart and stick in walls of the garage

I broke a 4" side grinder wheel a couple weeks ago, while cutting a stainless steel bolt....I was making a stud for the Plug Door modification.

I know, I know...not the approved way to use it.  The wheel was quick to point that out.  But I was still able to use the remaining off balanced part of the wheel to finish the cut and make the door.

Note to self:  Use a better vise.

IP Logged
barry68v10
Serious Thumper

Maryland
Reply #20 - 04/23/07 at 06:20:35

Quote:
My butt is a bit chapped over messing that header up,  

Suggestions anyone?

Yup, buy the Raask  Grin

petc0ck mod, white spacer removed, 150 main jet, 12.5" shocks, 16" turnout muff, oil cooler mod, chain conversion, Tkat brace, external fuel filter, fuel screen removed...
  IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #21 - 04/23/07 at 11:29:40

barry68v10 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
Yup, buy the Raask  Grin