Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
HOWTO: Head Plug Cap / Seal (step-by-step) (Read 843 times)
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: HOWTO: Head Plug Cap / Seal (step-by-step)
Reply #15 - 10/28/18 at 19:52:22

Thanks Verslagen! Last question, did you put 3 bond around the side seal cap that covers the camshaft? I think I read it in your notes, but read in clymer and saw a vid where they said not to.  I also saw suggestions for using 3 bond to stick the figure 8 Oring to the cover. Do you recommend that too?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

And Though She Be
But Little She is
Fierce!

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 10/28/18 at 20:11:46

HighME32 wrote on 10/28/18 at 19:52:22:
Thanks Verslagen! Last question, did you put 3 bond around the side seal cap that covers the camshaft? I think I read it in your notes, but read in clymer and saw a vid where they said not to.  I also saw suggestions for using 3 bond to stick the figure 8 Oring to the cover. Do you recommend that too?

Yes, it can't hurt.
And generally, people put way too much rtv on.  this squeezes out and blocks the passage.  which is disaster for the oil flow in your head.  A thin layer is what you want and done right is all you need to hold the oring in place.

WWW   IP Logged
GOF

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Buffalo, NY
Reply #17 - 10/29/18 at 15:06:49

verslagen1 wrote on 10/28/18 at 20:11:46:
people put way too much rtv on.

I once had a guy use like half a dozen tubes on a Ford 300 6cyl. He even used it on the head gasket. 10 miles down the road and the engine locked up. Oil sump was completely plugged. There was blue goop in the radiator. He was not a happy camper when I told him it would be cheaper to replace the van than to fix it.

« Last Edit: 10/29/18 at 19:09:45 by verslagen1 »  

1988 Suzuki Savage
1987 Yamaha TW200
  IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/29/18 at 19:06:52

So I finally bolted her back together. I chose not to put 3 bond on the rails close to the cam in the middle of the head. I figured it is too risky and oil should travel freely in there anyway. Is that a mistake? I didn't see corresponding rails on the underside of the head cover.I have seen videos of others gooping the crap out of those rails with permatex. I went with the closest I could get to a pencil sized bead. I did go around all of the bolt holes though.

IP Logged
HighME32

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 10/29/18 at 19:35:13

I did a similar gasket pattern to this German guy. Not sure what it means: http://www.ls650.de/techdocs/steuerkette/ZX2.html

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/19/19 at 22:08:37

General CategoryTechnical Documents/Reference › HOWTO: Head Plug Cap / Seal (step-by-step)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.